Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I am buying green, unroasted, decaf coffee beans online - 10 pounds at the time - and I am roasting it myself.
*Much* cheaper than buying roasted decaf. And you can roast it exactly to your liking. I found out I prefer a very light roast and that would be impossible to buy as decaf localy.

Roasting your coffee beans is not difficult. For the beginning you need a heat source (stove), a pan (plain metal or enamel, *not* non-stick) and a wooden spatula for vigorous stirring. Later you can upgrade to a hot-air popcorn maker (costs about 10-20 bucks)

I am also drinking a lot of store-brand instant decaf with a bit of cocoa powder mixed in.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
One of my friends highly recommends Trader Joe's half-caf blend. I follow the practice of coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I like Twining's Decaf English Breakfast tea.

Yes! Twining's Decaf English Breakfast Tea seems to be the closest thing yet to a decaf coffee blend that really satisfies. Perhaps it's because I've never been a hot tea drinker I just don't know what I'm missing, but it seems to me that tea is less dependent upon caffeine for its flavor than is coffee. I've been adding milk and honey to the tea. I'll get some lemon when I go to the store next, but I think I've found what I was looking for. Thanks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #18
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yes! Twining's Decaf English Breakfast Tea seems to be the closest thing yet to a decaf coffee blend that really satisfies. Perhaps it's because I've never been a hot tea drinker I just don't know what I'm missing, but it seems to me that tea is less dependent upon caffeine for its flavor than is coffee. I've been adding milk and honey to the tea. I'll get some lemon when I go to the store next, but I think I've found what I was looking for. Thanks.
I did not know that caffeine was what made the flavor in coffee. I learn something everyday here on Mobileread.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The protagonist in April's New Leaf Book Club selection has a unique method for making decaf coffee palatable.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I am glad you like it! I have lemon trees in my yard. This tea goes well with honey and lemon. I also like this tea plain and sometimes with milk depending on my mood.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I believe I tried Green Mountain Hazelnut decaf which was good. Maybe it is our imagination that decaf is not as good as full caffeinated coffee? Even decaf has a little caffeine
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree on the tea. You can not tell its decaf like you can with coffee. I have gingerbread decaf tea and it is amazing
Old 04-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #23
HLS
Wizard

Sorry for the multiple posts. You may want to try the half/half coffees that have less caffeine in them and gradually work you way to decaf

Does Starbucks have a decaf k-cup? I drink Veranda Blonde roast ( love the stuff) or the breakfast blend
Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I like Irish Breakfast tea also, with cream or milk.
I don't know if it's the caffeine that gives coffee extra flavor or if the decaffeination process itself affects the taste.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
. . . I don't know if it's the caffeine that gives coffee extra flavor or if the decaffeination process itself affects the taste.

Probably the latter, despite what I posted earlier about coffee being seemingly more dependent on caffeine than tea for its flavor.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I have been mixing Folgers Gourmet Vanilla 50/50 with Caribou Decaf the last few days and I can't tell the difference. Plus, I get to drink twice as much coffee without ingesting more caffeine. Think I'll stick with this and an occasional decaf tea for now.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #27
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
I once did a barista course. If I remember well my teacher then told me that rather than drinking decaffeinated coffee, she advises people to drink Kenian (high-altitude) arabica, since it is naturally low in caffein rather than the product of a chemical treatment.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote