Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Can't Remember What You Read? Blame the Font

Can't Remember What You Read? Blame the Font, Not Forgetfulness

Quote:
REMEMBER ALL THOSE classics you devoured in comp-lit class? Neither do we. Research shows that we retain an embarrassingly small sliver of what we read. In an effort to help college students boost that percentage, a team made up of a designer, a psychologist, and a behavioral economist at Australia’s RMIT University recently introduced a new typeface, Sans Forgetica, that uses clever tricks to lodge information in your brain. The font-makers drew on the psychological theory of “desirable difficulty”—that is, we learn better when we actively overcome an obstruction.
So, anyone who knows me, or reads my posts over a period of time will know that I often bemoan how bad my memory has become. So this sounds very attractive to me. However I am sceptical. Plus even if it works the experience of reading becomes less pleasurable.

The font is downloadable from here. See a couple of screenshots from my Kobo attached. Would you read the first one?

Actually it reminds me of an incident in the pilot of the sitcom "Better Off Ted"

They make a chair deliberately uncomfortable - it makes you more productive, until it drives you crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	641
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	169128   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	570
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	169129  
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hmm... not for me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
However I am sceptical. Plus even if it works the experience of reading becomes less pleasurable.
That's the crux, of course. These days I read for pleasure.

However, like you, I wish my retention rate especially for non-fiction was better. I've told myself that instead of bombing through the books I need to make a conscious effort to slow down, as when I read a text in college. Carry on a conversation with myself and the author, as it were, while I'm reading.

Screen shots of Left Hand of Darkness duly appreciated; I wouldn't have wanted anything to slow me down with that one! But since it's the book the book club is currently discussing, I'll note that that's one of the things I enjoy about the book club. I do slow down and take notes to facilitate participation in the discussion and I'm more prone to think about and consider the book when I'm not reading it, than the other books I read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I think a lot of people miss the point stressed by the font's creators, that it's intended to be a "highlights" font only. In that context, I think it could work well. The problem would be that it would likely be overused, like people highlighting whole blocks of text.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
[...] Screen shots of Left Hand of Darkness duly appreciated; I wouldn't have wanted anything to slow me down with that one! But since it's the book the book club is currently discussing, I'll note that that's one of the things I enjoy about the book club. I do slow down and take notes to facilitate participation in the discussion and I'm more prone to think about and consider the book when I'm not reading it, than the other books I read.
Very much this. It was only about a dozen years ago that I started keep track of what I read along with writing brief summaries and I have found that this deliberate review process has made a significant difference to how much, and how accurately, I remember what I read. The book club, of course, takes this to another level.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
No way could I use this font.

stuartjmz: I'm interested in what you mean by it being a "highlighting font". Do you mean that it should only be used on areas of text that one wants to stand out, as though "highlighted"?

When reading a book whose contents I wish to retain, I draw mind maps as I'm going through it, using pen and paper. This would normally be a non fiction, although I have found myself making mind maps of novels after finishing them if they were particularly interesting.

Some novels (Austen's Sense and Sensibility being one) have required me to draw a family tree in order to follow who's who.

But I don't believe this eye-crossing font would help retention. It would put me, for one, off reading in the first place.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
No way could I use this font.

stuartjmz: I'm interested in what you mean by it being a "highlighting font". Do you mean that it should only be used on areas of text that one wants to stand out, as though "highlighted"?
Yes, that's exactly the use the font creators spoke about in the first article I read about this several months ago. The comparison photos showing an entire page in the font miss the creators' intention completely.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
No. Just ... no.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
But I don't believe this eye-crossing font would help retention. It would put me, for one, off reading in the first place.
This. In spades. Some aspects of font "readability" may be subjective...I prefer a serif font, many readers prefer non-serif. But the example given would be a huge turn off for me, even if it were just a couple of sentences. It would be like a brick wall for my brain. Just wham!

We got a snail mail letter from our ymca last year, that was done in an all caps heavy font face. I think the person who designed it thought that would help because it was lengthy, but all on one page, so the font size was small. It was pretty much unreadable.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I think I'll forget Sans Forgetica. Looks like its designed to slow you down and that puts me right off.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Sans Forgetica will make me go mad. I could never use it. does anyone have a font to recommend that will help with retention and speed of reading.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Sans Forgetica will make me go mad. I could never use it. does anyone have a font to recommend that will help with retention and speed of reading.
I'm going to hypothesize that speed of reading and retention are inversely correlated.

While I wish I recalled what I read better myself, there is this:

Why forgetting is really important for memory
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #13
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm going to hypothesize that speed of reading and retention are inversely correlated.

While I wish I recalled what I read better myself, there is this:

Why forgetting is really important for memory

Thank you Steve. I was going to post something similar about the link between reading speed and retention, but the link you provided goes further by being related to the reason for the creation of San Forgetica. It was intended as the string around the finger, meant to slow you down and focus on it, the consequence being that it would be easier to forget the other stuff.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I get slowed down all the time by thoughts triggered by what I read.

If I tried to read that font, all I would think about was how hard it is to read and nothing about what was written.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 AM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Even for highlighting, I wouldn't like it.

These eyes have had four surgeries. I need the clearest font possible when reading, now.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote