Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
tzimmerman
tzimmerman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Kindle Keyboard - frozen (got it going once, but now stuck on anotyher page)

I have not used my Kindle Keyboard for years, and the battery went dead and it was frozen on "empty battery".
I replaced the battery with a new one, but it was still stuck at empty battery screen. Spent weeks of trying all advice from internet, hard soft resets of various types etc. Tried different downlaods of Kubrick but cant get it to run (tried on USB stick, CD and DVD on 2 PCs and 3 laptops)

Put paperclip in hole next to charger as a last resort and it wame up with the log on screen! Dont think that should have worked, so maybe just coincidence.

I got the password screen, but had forgotten the password and wanted a reset anyway. It appeard to work at this stage, telling me an incorrect password, and to call customer services to reset the password. So, I decided to do a resetmykindle and it went to a screen "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up. Now frozen on that screen, unable to turn on/off, hard/soft reset or do anything again - but this time a different screen. When I did the reset the kindle will have previously been linked to an old router, so it will not have found the internet. Amazon kindle support tried deregistering it, and resets with power buttn and volume down button, etc and gave up.
I feel I was so close to getting it working, but am again baffled. - plaese help!
tzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzimmerman View Post
I have not used my Kindle Keyboard for years, and the battery went dead and it was frozen on "empty battery".
I replaced the battery with a new one, but it was still stuck at empty battery screen. Spent weeks of trying all advice from internet, hard soft resets of various types etc. Tried different downlaods of Kubrick but cant get it to run (tried on USB stick, CD and DVD on 2 PCs and 3 laptops)

Put paperclip in hole next to charger as a last resort and it wame up with the log on screen! Dont think that should have worked, so maybe just coincidence.

I got the password screen, but had forgotten the password and wanted a reset anyway. It appeard to work at this stage, telling me an incorrect password, and to call customer services to reset the password. So, I decided to do a resetmykindle and it went to a screen "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up. Now frozen on that screen, unable to turn on/off, hard/soft reset or do anything again - but this time a different screen. When I did the reset the kindle will have previously been linked to an old router, so it will not have found the internet. Amazon kindle support tried deregistering it, and resets with power buttn and volume down button, etc and gave up.
I feel I was so close to getting it working, but am again baffled. - plaese help!
You seem to have been doing lots of things. I suggest, now that you've found that it's not just completely dead, that you start again.

The obvious place to start is a simple restart. For a Kindle Keyboard, the procedure is:
  1. Slide and hold the Power button for a full 40 seconds. After the first 6 to 8 seconds, the screen will go blank, which is normal. Continue holding the Power button.
  2. After 40 seconds, release the Power button.
    The charge indicator light will turn on after a few seconds.

Do make sure you hold it for a timed 40 seconds.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
tzimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
  1. Slide and hold the Power button for a full 40 seconds. After the first 6 to 8 seconds, the screen will go blank, which is normal. Continue holding the Power button.
  2. After 40 seconds, release the Power button.
    The charge indicator light will turn on after a few seconds.

Do make sure you hold it for a timed 40 seconds.
Hi, I have gone back and tried everything again. Tried holding the power for 40 secs, 1 minute and 2 min, with various combinations of Home button, and volume down. Also sequences of 20 sec + 60 sec + del , off button for 20secs and then the home page icon for 1 minute, and off button for sucessive 60,40,20sec (all of which people have had sucess with.
I never get a blank screen, its just always stuck on the Please wait a moment" screen
The green power light does come on at various times (initial turn on, after 15 sec slide/hold or after releasing after 1 min. It goes out after a few seconds, but with no chang to the display)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
OK, how about slide/hold for *exactly* 15 seconds? (I've seen that mentioned in a few places)

And have you tried leaving it on charge for 24 hours, to make sure the new battery is fully charged?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
This is the reset using home screen button

hold slider button for about 30 seconds and then while holding slider in on position push on home key for about about 20 seconds and a screen should come up where you can type in reset and it will change screen to recovery mode and then push r button and your kindle will reset.

Make sure you are holding in that slider while holding down the home button.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
tzimmerman

Tried both those suggestions numerous time, ands still frozen on "please wait a moment while your kindle restarts". (the last active page is saved in electronic ink).
Its been on charge a month, the battery is new and tested- holds full charge.