Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
The end of DRM audiobooks?

Well, the end might not yet be in sight, but is it coming? According to Good e-Reader, lots of people want that day to come.

Quote:
In 2018, many retailers and publishers are trying to go DRM-Free, in order to attract a new generation of customer.

Barnes and Noble Nook Audiobooks, Kobo Audiobooks, Downpour, Libro.fm, Google Audiobooks are frequently removing the DRM from their audiobooks in order to appeal to customers modern sensibilities. Publishers such as Tantor, Harlequin, Books in Motion are also going scraping DRM.
While I think the article might be some wishful thinking it makes for an interesting read. There are no actual quotes or citations from these publishers who supposedly want to go DRM-free.

Can anyone corroborate on the Nook or Kobo comment? It seems that Kobo was moving in the wrong direction, and if Nook is going DRM-free this is the first I've heard of it.

skinmaan

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-13-2018 at 02:59 AM. Reason: corrected title
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
"DRM is designed to make files difficult to share or pirate but in reality there are ways around the embedded DRM. This means that someone who really wants to share or pirate can and will, and paying customers are inconvenienced by the DRM.”

This is a good statement. I, for one, won't buy an audiobook unless I know that I can either remove DRM or it is DRM-free. I tend to use a lot of older tech and they keep updating the apps beyond what my devices can use. So being able to sideload audiobooks is very important to me. It's true that I probably won't relisten to the majority of my audiobooks, but if I want to, I should be able to since I paid for them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Who wrote that article? It sounds like it was written by a non-native speaker who desperately needs a proofreader.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
If the iTunes store ever started to sell audiobooks without DRM, I would certainly start buying from there. It would solve a number of issues that I have. Right now, I buy exclusively from audible, simply because removing the DRM is easy. I would think that if anyone is selling audiobooks without DRM, then they would advertise the fact. eBooks that don't have DRM tend to mention it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If the iTunes store ever started to sell audiobooks without DRM, I would certainly start buying from there. It would solve a number of issues that I have. Right now, I buy exclusively from audible, simply because removing the DRM is easy. I would think that if anyone is selling audiobooks without DRM, then they would advertise the fact. eBooks that don't have DRM tend to mention it.
Most stores that don't use DRM do tout it. Google even added a banner ad when they removed it (for some, not all, titles).
Advert
Old 08-13-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Downpour are exclusively MP3 for purchased books. And they have a decent app
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I love Downpour, and I have made several purchases there. My only problem with them is their website. It has become so difficult to browse titles and look at prices that I hardly look there unless there is a sale going on. Audiobooks.com has a similar problem.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I agree, their website is horrible and difficult to even navigate, much less use to actually find books you want to listen to. Your only hope is if you already know the book you want and can do a search on that specific title.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sadly, this isn't true anymore. I recently purchased "Leonardo da Vinci" by Walter Isaacson and it has DRM and can only played in the app. I should have gotten a warning for this (or so the customer support told me), but either I overlooked it (which I doubt) or it didn't work with my Safari browser. On the product page itself it didn't mention that this particular book had DRM.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote