Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Amazon Fire Phone (no contract) as an audio book player:

The headphones are nice.

Kindle Unlimited with narration audio books are handled a little differently. Download the book in the kindle reading app. To access the audio, just tap the Play arrow in the bottom left. It is not TTS, it is real narration. If you want to watch the screen, you can see the text highlighted for easy following along. Turn the screen off, and the audio continues. Volume buttons on the side of the phone, and in the cord, both work well with the screen off.

I did see table of contents, and now can't find it, either in the book or the audio book. Tapping vainly results in losing my place. Grrr!

Last edited by booklover6; 12-03-2014 at 08:54 PM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulak39 View Post
I notice this morning that Radio Shack is selling the LG Bolt for $99 now. Thanks to tubemonkey, I read about the $30 sale last week and ordered one, which should be coming today. Didn't even know what an LG Bolt was at first; (thought it might be a device charger). I may have several questions once I try to set it up and add audiobooks. This site always gives me lots of interesting and helpful information. Thanks tubemonkey and others.
Glad to help; and eel free to ask away. BTW, it's Volt
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Amazon Fire Phone (no contract) as an audio book player:

The headphones are nice.
Two? What's with this two audio players bit?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I ordered one of these from Amazon to use with the devices I have that don't have decent built-in speakers (LG Volt, Fire Phone, Fire HD 6, etc). Would go great with our new audio players. Great price and highly rated. Thinking about getting a second one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KPS1.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	131927   Click image for larger version

Name:	KPS2.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	131928   Click image for larger version

Name:	KPS3.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	131929  
Old 12-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I ordered one of these from Amazon to use with the devices I have that don't have decent built-in speakers (LG Volt, Fire Phone, Fire HD 6, etc). Would go great with our new audio players. Great price and highly rated. Thinking about getting a second one.
I like this speaker because it can play directly from a flash drive or SD card (there's no navigation with these inputs, though, the files just play in order), as well as an AUX connection.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Two? What's with this two audio players bit?
Well I think I like the Volt better for audio books.

I have 3 mp3 players, too....
Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #22
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
Received my Volt yesterday evening, and was able to install Overdrive, Audible, and Oneclickdigital. Is there any way to eliminate the reminders to activate service by unchecking a box or doing something else, as this is a little annoying?
Aside from this, it is really a nice device, and I'm pleased that the speaker is loud and clear. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap case? Thanks.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #23
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Is there any way to eliminate the reminders to activate service by unchecking a box or doing something else, as this is a little annoying?
I'd like to know the answer to this too!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Where are you seeing the activate service reminder?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have just got a fancy Android phone with gorgeous 5" IPS 1280x720 screen on the contract [that I do not pay for with my own money]. I continue to make phone-calls using my old dumb-phone.
The contract is used to make my work-related calls and has the same price whether you get phone on contract or not.

Fortunately my new phone works wonderfully as:
- an e-book reading device when I do not want to carry a 6" e-ink
- Tetris (and similar games) playing machine
- Android minitablet
- media mini-player

I was afraid I would have to get a cheap non-contract SIM card, but it works beautifully without SIM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #26
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
The activate service reminder pops up when I power on the Volt and connect to wifi. By clicking the activate box and then quickly pressing the apps icon, I find it does disappear. I guess this is good enough for me if there's no way to prevent it from appearing at all.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The activate service reminder pops up when I power on the Volt and connect to wifi. By clicking the activate box and then quickly pressing the apps icon, I find it does disappear. I guess this is good enough for me if there's no way to prevent it from appearing at all.
I haven't seen it, but I haven't powered it off, either. I do turn wifi on and off without seeing it.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have just got a fancy Android phone with gorgeous 5" IPS 1280x720 screen on the contract [that I do not pay for with my own money]. I continue to make phone-calls using my old dumb-phone.
The contract is used to make my work-related calls and has the same price whether you get phone on contract or not.

Fortunately my new phone works wonderfully as:
- an e-book reading device when I do not want to carry a 6" e-ink
- Tetris (and similar games) playing machine
- Android minitablet
- media mini-player

I was afraid I would have to get a cheap non-contract SIM card, but it works beautifully without SIM.
No offence, but that is not what the monkey meant by this thread. The phones that you can get on a contract plan are very expensive. Even the "free" phones are paid for by locking you (or your work) into the contract. If you buy a no-contract phone (e.g. a straighttalk) your choices are limited to really cheap and or older phones.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No offence, but that is not what the monkey meant by this thread. The phones that you can get on a contract plan are very expensive. Even the "free" phones are paid for by locking you (or your work) into the contract. If you buy a no-contract phone (e.g. a straighttalk) your choices are limited to really cheap and or older phones.
No offence taken ;-)
This is very fancy phone by a two years old standards. Nowadays the price is *very* reasonable. A small fraction of the price of really expensive ones (such as iPhone or latest Samsung or top-of-the-line HTC). The price is still nowhere near the $30 listed in the first post.
We (the company I work for) are locked into the contract anyway.

Here in Europe contracts and "free" phones work a little bit differently than in USA where, IMHO, providers are more aggressive in the lock-in.
Last time I bought such phone on contract for my daughter, I have inserted a pre-paid, very cheap SIM from competing provider and the phone just worked. And my wife (who signed the extension of the contract) continued to use her old clunker with her old provider.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I am happy to report that the battery life on the unactivated LG Volt is terrific! I can listen for hours with no noticeable depreciation of the battery. (Wifi is off).