Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
fAX
fAX began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kindle Voyage
Onyx Boox Max2 as printer

Hi,

Please, advise what software do you use to send (print) documents to a reader, in particular, Boox Max2?

The preferred workflow is printing a document which is then routed wirelessly to the device. As a Kindle user I appreciate how simple sending a document to reader can be.

Thanks!
fAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Install dropbox on reader, print as pdf,save as file in dropbox, open file in reader? It is not automatic as you still have to manually access the file from dropbox.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
dropbox
He is saying that the two devices are using a wireless connection, presumably same-network. They can talk directly, and transfer the file directly, no need for a storage mediator.

The problem is identifying the best process. The matter is open since the news of the lack of the SD-Card, we just have not focused on it yet.

EDIT: and a glance of the software around shows a very high amount of noise ("make an account", "allow reading your identity", "I embed a loan interest calculator"...)

Last edited by mdp; 02-06-2018 at 05:10 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:32 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAX View Post
The preferred workflow is printing a document which is then routed wirelessly to the device.
Although it would be nice to have an even quicker process (and vital in office environments),

it is possible that one of the most straightforward ways to transfer a file from device to device is BlueTooth share. The two devices are paired; on the sender side you select the file, you pick the "Share" action, and tap on the target device.

I have not tried it yet. Note that BT is on the slower side - the Max2 has BlueTooth 4, which should allow for 3 MB/s (24 Mbit/s) exchanges, which is right to plenty for a document printout but impractical for big files.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
He is saying that the two devices are using a wireless connection, presumably same-network. They can talk directly, and transfer the file directly, no need for a storage mediator.
But he didn't say what OS the other side (non ereader) is using. Finding an app that works from android to something else is going to be tough. Making android act as network printer is not possible to my knowledge (no app available to do so).

You got a specific app that works either for printing or direct sharing, maybe even asynchronously so one can send the file and can retrieve it at leisure when getting to the reader?

Dropbox is as close to send to kindle as I can think of. Works even when the wifi of reader is off, until it needs to be read.

Sure, an app that works as a network printer would be great if Onyx wants to write one just for the Max2. One step closer to a real paperless office.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-06-2018 at 07:39 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:43 AM   #6
fAX
fAX began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kindle Voyage
Thank you for your replies!

I'll try to clarify explicit and implicit questions raised above. I have both Linux and Windows machines (no Mac Os, though).

I'm currently using PDF printing (CutePDF and MS PDF printer on Windows, and cups-pdf and print to file feature on Linux). Then I sync with Nextcloud which is similar to Dropbox but unfortunately the sync functionality for Android is inferior to Dropbox so I'll try to get a chance to Dropbox as suggested above.

I have 2 readers, so I added the sync folders to favorites on both systems. On Linux I tried to make several instances of cups-pdf to define separate printers for readers but meanwhile without much success.

Nevertheless, the process is till cumbersome for me, as it takes "too many actions" to get the result. I think to write a small utility to monitor new files in the print-out folder and then pop up dialog where to send it. Still far from perfect but...

Last edited by fAX; 02-09-2018 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Added some details and improved spelling
fAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 AM   #7
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAX View Post
Nevertheless, the process is till cumbersome for me, as it takes "too many actions" to get the result. I think to write a small utility to monitor new files in the print-out folder and then pop up dialog where to send it. Still far from perfect but...
Myself, I would have written instead a small script on the lines of

adb push printout_file device_location
adb am open_with_viewer device_location/printout_file

The clapping hands detail would be if you could use that script as a virtual printer...
Unfortunately, I had no time to check, sorry.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
Kindle user here as well.
Its quite simple what you want. Just download the kindle app on your boox.
Print to kindle as usual on your computer.
Send it to the email address for the app on onyx.
The docs get downloaded automatically once you open the app.
See, only one click required!! (opening the app)

Plus since the docs are already on the cloud, you can download them to your kindle as well, or open past docs on your Max.

I have my morning news sent to the kindle app's email on c67ml.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
Just to be clear, in send to kindle on your computer, choose your max app's email address rather than the kindle's email address to send directly to the kindle app on the max.

The downloaded doc is located under the kindle folder and can be opened by any app. Though i think the name gets jumbled up. You can sort by date.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Is there not a Wi-Fi Transfer function built into the Boox devices? So no need to connect to the internet or cloud servers if you just want to transfer a file from one device to the Boox.

Disclaimer: haven't used this in anger myself but I am aware it exists. I use Google Drive and DropBox because then I can sync files across a number of different devices.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, print, wireless