Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I Downloaded The Latest Edition of Calibre And I Can't Get It Open (MacBook)

I don't know what happened. I downloaded the new version of Calibre but it can't open. Is anyone else facing this issue?

UPDATE: NEVER MIND I GOT IT TO WORK I USED AN ALTERNATE LINK TO RE-DOWNLOAD THIS

ANOTHER UPDATE: IT GOT SHUT DOWN AND WHEN I TRIED TO OPEN IT IT COULDN'T WORK

Last edited by MrSlow&Steady; 10-17-2020 at 01:05 AM.
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:05 AM   #2
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Uh I hate to bump this but it's not working again. Like it shut down for some reason and every time I try to bring it back up it isn't working
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what does doesnt work mean? the process doesnt run? is it in activity monitor? is there a crash report?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
what does doesnt work mean? the process doesnt run? is it in activity monitor? is there a crash report?
I click on the icon to open it but it never opens.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Did you check whatever the Mac version of the Task Manager is to make sure it isn't stuck running in the background? Calibre only lets you run one instance at a time.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Did you check whatever the Mac version of the Task Manager is to make sure it isn't stuck running in the background? Calibre only lets you run one instance at a time.
Yes and it still doesn't work.

Like I clicked on the icon, it briefly appears, and when it fails to open as per usual, it disappears from the Activity Monitor.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Disable your AV and try again. If that causes Calibre to work, then you'll need to uninstall whatever AV you run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open Terminal.app and run its as

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

and post the output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Disable your AV and try again. If that causes Calibre to work, then you'll need to uninstall whatever AV you run.
Sorry what's AV?
Old 10-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Open Terminal.app and run its as

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

and post the output
Oh shoot it got it to open. Thanks!

There'll be an update addressing this glitch right?

EDIT: But this is only 5.2 though. It didn't work for 5.3

Last edited by MrSlow&Steady; 10-18-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
Sorry what's AV?
Antivirus. Though I was under the impression that malware isn't quite as common for Macs.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Antivirus. Though I was under the impression that malware isn't quite as common for Macs.
I see. Thanks for telling me. Not sure if I can disable it though.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
I see. Thanks for telling me. Not sure if I can disable it though.
You don't disable it

You whitelist (exclude) specific apps or folders from ACTIVE scans
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
This may not be your problem but when I updated my Mac VM to 10.15.7, for some reason, the Security and Privacy preference switched the Allow Apps downloaded from: to App Store from App Store and Identified Developers. Switching back to App Store and Identified Developers allowed me to run the updated calibre install after clicking on Open in the dialog that popped up.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #15
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
@kovidgoyal (FYI)

I had a similar issues with a Macbook and an iMac MacOS 10.15.7 + Calibre 5.* I reverted to
Calibre 4.23 and it fix the problem.

The problem: Calibre not opening after update but opening later after 2 - 3 attempts. Once opened it reopened okay but failed to open when I clicked on an epub or awz file. It would start to open and then stop (close)
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, glitches