Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I like the bottom half and the colour scheme much better.

I hate the font for the title. I think the all centred text is a bit dull. I think the title needs to be bigger, and the series info reduced.

And change that hyphen to an em-dash!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What does she have, a fan under her britches? that's what I'm telling you already!

Or glue in her hair? Eh? Her Dracula cape is caught in a tough cross-wind like in California, I say, and the glue in her hair is fastened tight like a wound clock to her pate, so her skull can't breathe!

That's what I'm saying!

Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Gregg, I like most of what you've done there. I am inclined to think that the book title could be larger in comparison to the subtitle ("... Book 1" and "... Tripper Novel") elements. And/or maybe the the author name could go down in size a little.

... Basically, I don't think the proportions are quite right yet, but the colours are working fairly well for me.

Not sure I'm entirely convinced by the cape. I like the idea, it just doesn't look all that natural. And, now it's no longer lost in the background the less-than-perfect appearance is more obvious.
Thanks gmw. I agree with the title and subtitle issues. And I can work on the proportions. The cape I'm not worried about as it's meant to be cartoonish. I'll be back with a new version.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I like the bottom half and the colour scheme much better.

I hate the font for the title. I think the all centred text is a bit dull. I think the title needs to be bigger, and the series info reduced.

And change that hyphen to an em-dash!
Ha ha. Thanks Paul. Okay. I hear you about the font and text and title needing to be bigger. And I'll take care of the hyphen!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What does she have, a fan under her britches? that's what I'm telling you already!

Or glue in her hair? Eh? Her Dracula cape is caught in a tough cross-wind like in California, I say, and the glue in her hair is fastened tight like a wound clock to her pate, so her skull can't breathe!

That's what I'm saying!

Britches? Ha ha.
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

That's what I'm saying!

Perhaps she used a lot of hairspray, knowing she would be out in high winds

I like that the series and number are included on the cover. I wish all series books had this info on the front.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In all seriousness, I'm thinking "101 Dalmatians."

(Where's the Pug? That's the dog I own.)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
In all seriousness, I'm thinking "101 Dalmatians."

(Where's the Pug? That's the dog I own.)
It needs a chihuahua. Heck put the Cape on the chihuahua.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #24
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Stead of all caps, use normal capilitization, perhaps make the first letters a tad larger or just a little bolder. Offset the title so it isn't so center balanced.

All caps looks more like a notice or headline. It just doesn't look right IMO. The acronym should be all caps, just not the rest. If you want to stick to all caps, make the letters smaller instead of lower case.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Stead of all caps, use normal capilitization, perhaps make the first letters a tad larger or just a little bolder. Offset the title so it isn't so center balanced.

All caps looks more like a notice or headline. It just doesn't look right IMO. The acronym should be all caps, just not the rest. If you want to stick to all caps, make the letters smaller instead of lower case.
Thanks Desk. Just got done working on it. I'll check out your suggestions tomorrow. What will offsetting the title accomplish?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Two new versions.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I like the visual balance of the second (green title) better than the first (blue title), and yet the blue title stands out more clearly.

Could you move the "of the" after the "Rise" (but still as small text, two lines total height matching the one line of "Rise"):

Rise of/the
Animal Rescue
Feminists

And then use the extra space to increase the overall size of the main title. In fact, I would be tempted to remove one of your subtitles, or merge them into the one line. To me it all looks a bit busy up top - especially in thumbnail view - which has the title getting lost amid the noise. Is that tagline? Is that a subtitle? No, it's its a super-title! (Whether it looks like one or not.)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I'm sorry--I hate both of those. I believe it's the fonts--it looks too cartoony/jokey. I realize that the book is dark humor, but that's not the same thing as cartoony.

Let me ask you this, Gregg: what kind of FEEL were you going for, with the fonts?

Hitch
Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I preferred the pink background. You could try dropping the series number (The IWS Rules -- Book 1) to small text below your name, move the description (A Lainey Tripper Novel) to the top, above the title, and then make the title bigger and more typographically interesting.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

"Stead"?

hy o ou ot ike 'in'?

Closed Thread