Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Like_to_read
Like_to_read began at the beginning.

Device: None
E-ink device to replace new Kindle Oasis

I have been a long time Kindle user and recently purchased a new Kindle Oasis. I was thinking of moving to another e-reader but the process of moving several hundred books from Kindle with highlights and notes seemed too cumbersome.

However I read some threads on how Amazon extensively tracks all reading activity. I read books like Trillion Dollar Coach but certainly don't like the prospect of someone staring down my back as I read.

With that in mind, I decided to buy a new non-Kindle e-reader for new books I buy and will keep kindle books on the kindle. This way I don't have to worry about importing all my old kindle books

Here are my thoughts for an e-reader
1) Large 8" E-ink screen and flat device (no protruding battery like Oasis)
2) Warm lighting
3) Used mainly to read e-books
4) Android app which has stable sync for notes and highlights - so that I can read on my phone as well. I have read some forums where syncing to apps is glitchy for some devices. This is pretty important for me
5) Easy ability to buy new ebooks without connecting USB cable to computer

Here is my shortlist
1) Kobo
2) Pocketbook

What would your opinion be, especially in terms of robustness of reliable syncing ability with Android app?

That's one thing which I really like about Kindle - syncing between Kindle and phone apps is seamless and rock solid 100% of the time in 7 years with over 300 books and 200 emailed personal docs

Thanks
Like_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't see how you can have syncing of reading position between devices without also have someone staring down your back as you read, whether it's Amazon, Kobo or some third party.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't see how you can have syncing of reading position between devices without also have someone staring down your back as you read, whether it's Amazon, Kobo or some third party.
Exactly.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Kobo reader that I like. But I don't sync. I suggest asking in the Kobo forum how well it syncs between the Kobo and the Kobo app for Android.

The problem with syncing is that you end up having to keep WiFi on. That drains the battery faster. Personally, I would have different books on the Reader and on the app. That way, you don't need WiFi on and you don't have to worry about syncing. It's not hard to have two different book on the go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a Kobo reader that I like. But I don't sync. I suggest asking in the Kobo forum how well it syncs between the Kobo and the Kobo app for Android.

The problem with syncing is that you end up having to keep WiFi on. .
the low tech solution of always reading up to a chapter end, and remembering which chapter also works well

another trick I have seen suggested is you write down the last 3 or 4 words of the sentence where you stopped, then search for that fragment on the other device.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Or remembering the loc or page number.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Or remembering the loc or page number.
yes but not all books and apps have page numbers, or compute pages the same way , so I recommended something safer.

could be that page numbers will be fine between kobo's own reader and their android app though
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
could be that page numbers will be fine between kobo's own reader and their android app though
The location I think it's best suited for the kindle between devices/ereaders, but I would go for your chapter suggestion.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The problem with syncing is that you end up having to keep WiFi on.
That drains the battery faster. Personally, I would have different books on the Reader and on the app. That way, you don't need WiFi on and you don't have to worry about syncing. It's not hard to have two different book on the go.
Can't you have WiFi off, read, turn on wifi, hit sync, turn wifi off, and the last page read would be correct on your next device?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #10
Like_to_read
Like_to_read began at the beginning.

Device: None
Appreciate all the thoughts.

- However syncing is important to me and battery drain is not an issue with leaving WiFi on. I frequently read books on the phone as well and it's important not have the highlights and notes sync across platforms. The page location suggestion is great but I am more concerned about syncing notes and highlights

- Also the larger screens on the other devices make it much more like a book

Which of the two tablets would you recommend in terms of syncing of Android app and ease with which it can be set up for syncing?

- Pocketbook
- Kobo

Last edited by Like_to_read; 08-29-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Like_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can't you have WiFi off, read, turn on wifi, hit sync, turn wifi off, and the last page read would be correct on your next device?
Yes you can, but that's a real hassle.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

As I've said before, ask about syning with Kobo in the Kobo form as you'll get answers from those that do sync. I don't have any need to sync as I read a different eBook on my iPhone/iPad and Kobo.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_to_read View Post
Appreciate all the thoughts.

- However syncing is important to me and battery drain is not an issue with leaving WiFi on. I frequently read books on the phone as well and it's important not have the highlights and notes sync across platforms. The page location suggestion is great but I am more concerned about syncing notes and highlights
As others have said, that contradicts not wanting someone else viewing what you are reading. And as much of a Kobo fan that I am, if this is what you need to do, then stick with Kindles.
Quote:
- Also the larger screens on the other devices make it much more like a book
I have seen that comment a lot of times here. I find it very weird. For the life of me, I cannot work out why anyone would want to make the ereader experience "more like a book". Beyond, "present the words to me so I can read", I don't have any need for an ereader to emulate a book. Why would I want to turn off the ability to change the font or size, search the book, tap a word and see it's meaning or all the other things that a paper book just can't do?

And if all you are talking about is the page size, the paperback or hardcover? And exactly which page size in them. My bookshelves are very untidy as no two books are the same size.
Quote:
Which of the two tablets would you recommend in terms of syncing of Android app and ease with which it can be set up for syncing?

- Pocketbook
- Kobo
Using the word "tablet" above is a bit strange. Kobo's devices are dedicated ereaders. They don't have much other function on them. Kobo does have apps for both Android and iOS, so you can use them there. But, Kobo only syncs for books purchased from them. They will sync book status and annotations between the devices and the apps, but only for purchased books. There is no way to sync over WiFi for sideloaded books. And they don't have the email-to-device that Amazon has.

I don't know Pocketbook, so I can't comment.

Tolino do have syncing of sideloaded books. The epos is a nice 7.8" e-ink device. But they are only sold in some countries, so getting one could be hard. I haven't tried their Android app, so I don't know what will sync to it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 PM   #14
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_to_read View Post
Here is my shortlist
1) Kobo
2) Pocketbook
I really like and use the buttons on the side on the kobo. On the PocketBook Touch HD 3 the buttons are at the bottom and not convenient to use.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I always want wifi on on my ereaders so I can look up things on Wikipedia. I look things up all the time as I read. I read just novels and my guess is that people who read no-fiction would want to do that even more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote