Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
A couple of questions before taking the plunge

I'm considering buying an iPad mostly for reading pdf books (math and technical). Sadly I'm clueless when it comes to all things Apple since I don't own an iPhone/iPod/iWhatever, so I have a few questions I hope the more knowledgeable members of the forum can help me with.

My questions is:

1. What's the best pdf app for reading technical books, heavy with math and code?
2. For epub books, does the iBooks app have support for dictionaries? Does it cost more to add dictionaries? Any built-in?
3. What the best app for reading comics (pdf+cbr)? [preferably free]
4. Does Calibre works well with iPad as a device or only with the iBooks app (is there a difference?)

Thanks for any help
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2

In my opinion comiczeal. Its commercial, but the price is 7.99 I think.
Compared to the price of the iPad itself its nothing.
Works perfect for .cbr and .cbz files

I am not so much into PDF, but so far iBooks did not let me down. Not sure about dictionaries though. Also I must admit that the time I read books containing any mathematic formulas is over for me

So I hope other people can answer the other questions you had better than I could
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
1. What's the best pdf app for reading technical books, heavy with math and code?
I don't read PDF books myself, but the consensus appears to be that "Goodreader" is about the best PDF reading app.

Quote:
2. For epub books, does the iBooks app have support for dictionaries? Does it cost more to add dictionaries? Any built-in?
iBooks has a pretty good English dictionary built in.

Quote:
4. Does Calibre works well with iPad as a device or only with the iBooks app (is there a difference?)
Calibre only supports the iBooks App (via iTunes). Yes, it works well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
HarryT, Calibre also supports Stanza; it actually has a Stanza-compatible server built in so that you can transfer books into Stanza over wifi.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Thanks harakiri & Harry.

Another question if you don't mind.

In the iBooks app is it possible for books to belong in more than one category? I couldn't find any way to do it from iTunes and Calibre appear to have spread the books all over iTunes by giving discarding tags and keeping only one for each book.

If not, how can I move books from one category to another inside iTunes?

Sorry for the rather stupid questions.
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Goodreader is indeed most excellent. I read a great deal of math and physics PDF papers and books and it works really fine for me. I have folders and sub-folders and so on to organize my PDFs in Goodreader. They are working now on supporting highlighting and annotations so that should provide a pretty self-contained app.
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
I'm considering buying an iPad mostly for reading pdf books (math and technical). Sadly I'm clueless when it comes to all things Apple since I don't own an iPhone/iPod/iWhatever, so I have a few questions I hope the more knowledgeable members of the forum can help me with.

My questions is:

Thanks for any help
1. My 100% vote goes for Goodreader - best PDF Reader but there is so much more you can say about this app. You can se up a fixed zoom mode for PDF's with borders for example it is one of the best file managers besides the reader capabilities so you can access cloud accounts like dropbox or your own FTP Server like your own NAS. You can setup folders and if you want/need with password protection. Simple said ... the best.

2. It depends on the tool you use to read the epubs it not so much depend on the file format. So yes if you use iBook to read your epubs you'll have full disctionary support and there is already some useful dictionary built in.

3. For comics in PDF format use goodreader.

You can use iTunes on PC/MAC to categorize your books comfortable at you desktop.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks harakiri & Harry.

Another question if you don't mind.

In the iBooks app is it possible for books to belong in more than one category?
No. The category is a simple text string in the ePub metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Thanks to everyone who recommended the Good Reader app. It Is amazing. Specially, the ability to set two different manual crop on a PDF book, one for each side of a page is unblievable. The fact that it cost only .99 cent makes it the most worthwhile app on the app store to me.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Cloudreader is good for comics and it's free.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Goodreader as recommendation from my side, too. It's not free but it has some real cool features. I don't know if the price is still at $0.79, but it should be fairly inexpensive.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
acidburn517
acidburn517 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Ipad
+1 for goodreader and for .99 it's practically free. I'm glad to hear that they're working on annotation since Iannotate is a good PDF reader too with annotation features but it's a bit pricey at 9.99.

I personally use comiczeal for my comicbooks. It works great. Not as polished as the readers from Marvel and Imagecomics but it does a pretty good job for CBRs and CBZs. Unfortunately not free. Cloudreader is a good free alternative but comiczeal does have a few more features.
acidburn517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
#1 If you are doing scientific articles, and on a Mac, I'd recommend that you take a look at Papers for Mac and iPad. It doesn't get more amazing than that. You have everything tagged and searchable, and the iPad syncs your library directly from the Mac.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote