Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Monkfishy
Monkfishy doesn't litterMonkfishy doesn't litter

Device: none
Should you buy an e-Book?

A friend sent me this article from the Wall Street Journal: "Are e-Books Worth the Money?"

This article has some really interesting points. One thing I hadn't realized (not having bought an eBook reader yet), is that eBooks can cost as much or more than a paperback. I always wait for books to come out in paperback, and buy them as cheaply as possible - usually the mass market edition. Maybe as more people start buying eBooks, the price of those will start to come down, too.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to take the author's advice, and wait a month or so before getting an eBook reader, if I don't change my mind by then.
Monkfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
The latest James Patterson ebook is more expensive than the hardcover on both Amazon and B&N. This is ridiculous!!!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Monkfishy

Wow! What are they thinking? It's obvious that eBooks are the future of publishing, and that people would buy more eBooks than paper books, if the prices were reasonable. Also, don't they realize how many books are available for free?

Great way to encourage the underground eBook piracy market, publishing industry!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... This is ridiculous!!!

Is there blame to be passed? Is the author greedy? His distributors? The people who converted from print to eBook? The book distributors? The book stores?

There's a lot of pieces to this pie. I remember when "The Pentagon Papers" was released in paperback. At US$2.25, it was the most expensive paperback released to date.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfishy View Post
A friend sent me this article from the Wall Street Journal: "Are e-Books Worth the Money?"

This article has some really interesting points. One thing I hadn't realized (not having bought an eBook reader yet), is that eBooks can cost as much or more than a paperback. I always wait for books to come out in paperback, and buy them as cheaply as possible - usually the mass market edition. Maybe as more people start buying eBooks, the price of those will start to come down, too.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to take the author's advice, and wait a month or so before getting an eBook reader, if I don't change my mind by then.
If it's fiction and the price is $9.99 or less, yes, it is worth buying.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
There is an Australian book in which I am interested. Purchasing a copy would be very expensive. I could try to get a copy via ILL; my library charges $5, and I'd have three weeks from whenever it arrives to read it. Or, I could get it as an e-book for $12, reading it whenever I'd like.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfishy View Post

Here's a tip: If a product is too expensive, you don't need to buy it. If eBooks are a necessity in your like, you can shop around to legitimate less costly options.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Monkfishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>>Is there blame to be passed? Is the author greedy? His distributors? The people who converted from print to eBook? The book distributors? The book stores?
According to the article, "Amazon has tried to drive prices for best sellers down to $9.99, but the publishing industry has fought back."

The publishers are probably still thinking of eBooks as novelties for a small, niche market. Or, they may think they'll have to make up for their falling paper book sales with huge overheads on eBooks. Either way, I think they'll have to come down eventually, like CDs did after they became the primary market for music.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... The publishers are probably still thinking of eBooks as novelties for a small, niche market ...

No publisher can afford to think that way in 2010. This "eReader madness" is going to be with us for a while ...
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If it's fiction and the price is $9.99 or less, yes, it is worth buying.

Derek
And that all depends on where you live. I find any book costing under €10 cheap, between €10 and €15 is normal. Above €15 is expensive.

Now, the exchange rate at this moment (according to google, on august 26th) is €1 = $1,26.

I'd buy if it's below €15. If I'd really, really, really want the book, I'd buy above the €15.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
With the introduction of Amazon Kindle in to the UK market, things have become pleasingly more competitive here - at least for the moment.

The Elizabeth Gilbert book the article refers to is being sold by Amazon in the UK as a pback at £3.28 or as an e-book at £2.78.

My pet hate is the price of an e-book when the paper version is only out as a hardback. I understand that hardbacks are expensive to produce and bulky to stock, but why should the e-book be priced at or near the hardback price? I'm talking about mainstream fiction here (where the publisher knows a pback edition will follow) - when they release the pback, then the e-book price drops accordingly.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
My pet hate is the price of an e-book when the paper version is only out as a hardback. I understand that hardbacks are expensive to produce and bulky to stock, but why should the e-book be priced at or near the hardback price? I'm talking about mainstream fiction here (where the publisher knows a pback edition will follow) - when they release the pback, then the e-book price drops accordingly.
See my pet hate is when the pback is released but the publisher DOESN'T drop the price accordingly. (And it happens too often for comfort)
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Thats only one side of the coin. Articles like that tend to forget all about the large amount of public domain ebooks that are available at manybooks.net or Google.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Many of the ebooks coming out from the 'big six' publishers are expensive, as much or more than the paperbacks. Part of that is release schedule, if the ebooks are coming out at the same time as the hardcover they don't want to set the price too low because they're worried about hardcover sales.

On the other hand there's a lot of other options! Check out Smashwords for one, lots of excellent books and most folks are pricing them at a more reasonable level. Writers like J.A. Konrath have argued for books to be priced at the lower end around $2.99 and many writers are following that advice. And, with many devices like Nook or Sony's, you can also check ebooks out of libraries too. Plus there's a lot of public domain classics that are available.

For me, I've really enjoyed reading — and writing — ebooks.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Whining here will accomplish nothing.

In the case of the eBook being more expensive, the best thing you can do is to buy the paperback. This will:
  • Cost more to produce,
  • while selling for less,
  • allowing you to re-sell, trade, or give your hardcopy away if you decide you're done with it, or
  • keep it for decades without worrying about technology advances making the book obsolete.
  • If it costs more to produce and sells for less, it is going to hurt them in the wallet, and they'll eventually catch on.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook cost