Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #91
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What's autoscroll?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #92
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
I'd never heard of Moon+, but had a look at their home page (for what it's worth) and comments. It looks like it has promise, but for someone like me who does not use autoscroll, and has only epub books, there's not a compelling reason to switch from Aldiko.

Now if Moon+ added highlights and annotations, I may change my mind... It's funny, but thus far no Android reader can match the feature of my years-old WinMo 6.5 ubook reader, except that ubook's interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Cheers, Carl.

Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #93
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl314 View Post
I'd never heard of Moon+, but had a look at their home page (for what it's worth) and comments. It looks like it has promise, but for someone like me who does not use autoscroll, and has only epub books, there's not a compelling reason to switch from Aldiko.

Now if Moon+ added highlights and annotations, I may change my mind... It's funny, but thus far no Android reader can match the feature of my years-old WinMo 6.5 ubook reader, except that ubook's interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Cheers, Carl.

Carl.
I did find it on line, but not in the actual Android Marketplace....

If autoscroll is what I think it is then I don't need or want it.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #94
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl314 View Post
It's funny, but thus far no Android reader can match the feature of my years-old...
For me, it's Mobipocket. I can't find a reading app that has both desktop and mobile versions that can sync with each other and make notes and that's available internationally and doesn't require you to be part of their network. It seems like one giant step backwards.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #95
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamole View Post
Just downloaded the latest version of Moon+ Reader. It now gets my vote for the best ereader app for Android.

Features:

* Full visual options: line space, font scale, shadow, alignment, alpha colors, fading edge and more.

I gave it five stars and I've never done that with any other app on Market.

* unsolicited, honest, sincere endorsement!
I wonder if it supports ePubs in RTL languages such as Hebrew and Arabic.
Unfortunately, Aldiko and FBreader doesn't support it properly so there is not even single decent reader I can use to read my ePubs on Android.
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #96
humblepie
GTD Productive Organizer
humblepie began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch 2g
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The above is why I convert everything to epub (after removing the restrictive drm) and do not buy ebooks that can't have the drm removed. I also don't even attempt to read pdfs on an ebook reader or android app.
why dont u read pdf on android? is it that slow?
humblepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #97
kennyc

Because most pdf's don't display properly on small screens.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #98
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
You'd need a magnifying glass to read a PDF on my phone screen.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #99
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I don't think you folks have adequately explored the Moon+ reader. Admittedly I have limited experience with it only because I've installed so many different readers to test (and I am still a novice w/Android), that I'm having a problem deciding which I prefer and which to uninstall....but the Moon+ was one I had definitely decided to keep.

It has myriad options, reads ePub and fb2 files, has direct links to Feedbooks, ManyBooks, P.Gutenberg and a Chinese catalog, Shucang, with the option to add your own catalog. It also supports bookmarks. The only format I've found problematic is some text files don't render punctuation correctly but others are fine. It does have autoscoll but since I don't like autoscroll I didn't even bother to test it.

SlowRain, where did you find Mobipocket (Android Market?), and does it read encrypted prc files?
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #100
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I don't think you folks have adequately explored the Moon+ reader.
Thank you for your recommendation of the Moon+ Reader! I had tried it some months ago and since it could not read FB2 files I gave up on it. I have been using FBReaderJ and Aldiko since then. Thanks to your recommendation I just tried Moon+ Reader again, and was very pleasantly surprised. I only use FB2 and EPUB book files, and now Moon+ Reader handles both formats very well for the reading features that matter to me. It also seems much faster than Aldiko, and is at least equal in configurability. I just started with the Moon+ Reader, so I will have to read with it for a few days or weeks, but I think that I may end up switching to it as my reader of choice.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #101
Crucis
Crucis began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Epic/Galaxy
FBReader/ebooks Font Size

I've been lurking for a while and have a question. I bought an Aluratek ereader in August and use Calibre for my ebook manager. I only buy non-DRM books.

This week, I upgraded my phone to an Android device---Samsung Epic/Galaxy. I've tried a couple of ereader apps and have settled for FBreader.

There is one issue that seems to be common in all the apps (it may be my ignorance with Android) and that is Font size. In FBreader, the text is almost too small to read. Is there anyway to increase the font size?

Tnx, Crucis
Crucis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #102
kennyc

If you go under options - More - use "Zoom in" "Zoom out"
Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #103
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I don't think you folks have adequately explored the Moon+ reader.
I just tried it for the first time today, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It seems to be faster and smoother than Aldiko, and I'm not getting noticeable pauses and blank pages between chapters. Seems to be a very polished app with lots of features too, although I miss having cover thumbnails (there's an option for it, but it's marked as unstable).

Does anyone know how to make it so the screen doesn't scroll when you swipe it, though? I'd prefer to just tap to get single page turns, but right now I have both methods active and it makes me lose my place if I'm not careful.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #104
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Does anyone know how to make it so the screen doesn't scroll when you swipe it, though?
It seems like that may be a bug in the current version. I have gesture actions set to none, but finger swipes still turn pages. I usually prefer to avoid touching the screen while reading, so I always turn pages with the volume buttons. I actually never noticed the gesture problem until you mentioned it.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #105
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Has anyone tried the latest version of coolreader 3
it has greatly improved and seems stable now is very fast and smooth but its not available in the market yet so you have to download and install manually.
Now I have to find a way to add more fonts to it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.36/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one