Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
SmartQ7: power/screen settings on v4.0

Hi guys, when you change the Advanced Settings under the Brightness systray icon, does the change take effect?
I've set Off to "Never" but it doesn't seem to take effect, so I can't use it as a photoframe+mp3 lol...
any conf file to edit?

Thanks!

btw my pidgin also died Segmentation Fault, how to reinstall it?
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
markr
markr doesn't littermarkr doesn't litter

Device: none
Open evilvte and type:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall pidgin

or failing that:
sudo apt-get purge pidgin
sudo apt-get install pidgin
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
Hi guys, when you change the Advanced Settings under the Brightness systray icon, does the change take effect?
I've set Off to "Never" but it doesn't seem to take effect, so I can't use it as a photoframe+mp3 lol...
any conf file to edit?
Thanks!
Don't forget to change both settings; Suspend Time & AutoPoweroff time, plus Backlight Duration if you need to read the screen all the time.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Blade62
Blade62 began at the beginning.

Device: smart Q7
HI Guys

I recently got a Smart Q7 last week and having a few teething problems, could any one help? i'm a bit out of my depth with the linux as i'm used windows (sorry if i offend anyone!!), is there a guide on how to use it as i didn't get one with it? also i still can't get it to reconize USB stick or my MP4 player, help please?

Blade62
Blade62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade62 View Post
HI Guys
I recently got a Smart Q7 last week and having a few teething problems, could any one help? i'm a bit out of my depth with the linux as i'm used windows (sorry if i offend anyone!!), is there a guide on how to use it as i didn't get one with it? also i still can't get it to reconize USB stick or my MP4 player, help please?
Blade62
Quick Guide & Manual available here; http://www.eletroworld.cn/ click on Services in the top menu and look in the download section.
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Blade62

HI Nation.A.List

Thanks for that i did print off the manuel but it was a very small section for the Q7 reconizing the USB slot or if i put a MP4/5 player it still doesn't show up on the screen as being reconized, any ideas please?

Blade62
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
HI Nation.A.List
Thanks for that i did print off the manuel but it was a very small section for the Q7 reconizing the USB slot or if i put a MP4/5 player it still doesn't show up on the screen as being reconized, any ideas please?
Blade62
OK just tested a 4GB USB stick (FAT formatted) on my Q7. You do not need to alter the state of the USB port for the device to recognise a USB stick. To see the device you need to open file manager, it should show up as a `removeable device` which when opened will reveal it`s contents.

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 08-20-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Don't forget to change both settings; Suspend Time & AutoPoweroff time, plus Backlight Duration if you need to read the screen all the time.
Yeah the numbers are recorded but the values don't kick in... So "never" doesn't work for Auto-off...

I'll try the pidgin thing again.. thanks!
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
Blade62

HI A.Nation

Thanks for that, i'm gonna go home and try it.What do guys think of the Q7?I'm also having trouble getting a mini bluietooth keyboard and mouse,nobodody in london seems to stock it.I know in China there have it but the shipping costs means i can buy a full size keyboard for the smae price,crazy?would you guys agree the WinCe V6.0 is worth adding as a operating system?whatr would be the advantages? hey and thanks again guys for all your help.

Blade62
Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Blade62

Hi guys
I need some help with the dongle,I brought a dongle with a sim card in it from T-mobile (UK) USB Stick 120 with a sim card slot.Now when i plugged it into the Smart Q7 it didn't work and wouldn't acknowledge it.Then i found out that the operating system is Windows!!i have been told that i need "firmware" for the smart Q7 so it would reconize the T-mobile Dongle! i hope i have put ,so this is understanable to you guys?and if there is firmware available, where do i go? this is really driving me mad at the moment, so any help would ease my screamin headache i have at the moment! so basically...i have a wireless dongle to give me access to the internet won't connect because it has the operating system, can i adapt it so the Smart Q7 can reconize it and get on the web.any help would be most welcome.

Blade62
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Hi guys
I need some help with the dongle,I brought a dongle with a sim card in it from T-mobile (UK) USB Stick 120 with a sim card slot.Now when i plugged it into the Smart Q7 it didn't work and wouldn't acknowledge it.Then i found out that the operating system is Windows!!i have been told that i need "firmware" for the smart Q7 so it would reconize the T-mobile Dongle! i hope i have put ,so this is understanable to you guys?and if there is firmware available, where do i go? this is really driving me mad at the moment, so any help would ease my screamin headache i have at the moment! so basically...i have a wireless dongle to give me access to the internet won't connect because it has the operating system, can i adapt it so the Smart Q7 can reconize it and get on the web.any help would be most welcome.

Blade62
What make & model is the dongle ?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
Blade62

t-mobile 'USB stick 110' (which is actually a Huawai E160 dongle), i just want to know if its compatible and from what i have been told it can run Linux.Is this so? I have a ecept from a can who says it does : I bought a t-mobile 'USB stick 110' (which is actually a Huawai E160 dongle). It cost £40, including £20 credit. It's PAYG, costing £2/day, with a 3GB monthly limit.

I plugged it into my laptop and a new connection appeared in the network manager.

Sceptically, I clicked to enable it - and *it just worked*.

No messing with kernels, mode switching or anything else.

The E160 is detected as an E220, which is fully supported by linux.

Can you confirm this and so do i just buy it and plug it in and it will be detercted by the Q7?

Thanks for helping guys

Blade62
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #13
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
My guess would be 'no'. The version of Ubuntu Linux is fairly old, and it may be out of date. I know that later versions of network manager can handle cellular modems, but may require some configuration editing.

$0.02

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #14
Blade62

hi rogue_ronin

i did a little research mself and it does say from umbuntu forums that you can use the e160 dongle with a bit of tweakin! and the guy i cut and pasted his qoute states he just pluggged and played it! i'm really confused here, as i said i'm a Linux virgin and don't have a clue here and have bought the Q7 thinking i can just get a dongle with sim card and off i go.any clues to just getting me on would be grateful.

Blade62
Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Nation.A.List
Addict

I have a 3G modem working on my Q7 (Modem is a Huawei E220)
THIS IS FOR THE `3` NETWORK IN THE UK, modify to suit your provider.
OK, I belive that I am now running @ HSDPA speeds. I had to modify /etc/gnome-ppp.conf to add the necessary settings to the beginning of the file.
Name = HSDPA
User = three
Pass = three
Init2= ATZ
Init3 = ATE0 V1 &D2 &C1 S0=0 +IFC=2,2
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"
Phone = *99#
End
When you run gnome-ppp select` HSDPA`from the list, (the next part `in red` may not be required to get full speed) then click `OK`then click the `settings` button (middle) click `detect` button, select 460800 from the `speed` dropdown, `phone line` should be `tone`, click `close`, click `connect`. With any luck it should work

Part of the problem I believe with other modems is that they have a 'USB memory' part to them as well as a modem, this then auto loads the Windows software on a Windows PC. Linux cannot see past this and that's why they don't work. My guess is, if you could erase the drive on a Windows PC it should then work OK on a Linux device.

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 08-28-2009 at 05:31 PM.