Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Dropcaps example in User Manual FAQ

I was browsing the Calibre User Manual today and came across the section named
"How do I use some of the advanced features of the conversion tools?"
in the FAQ with attached demo files.

When I tried the HTML DropCaps examples I couldn't get the simpler one to work, i.e. the one which uses the following CSS:-

.drop { text-indent: 0pt}
.drop:first-letter { font-size:xx-large}

with a paragraph coded:-

<p class="drop">This is a plain text based dropcaps ... </p>

This suggestion works great in my browser and when viewing the imported .zip in the ebook-viewer, but not in a converted EPUB or LRF on my Sony PRS-505. It doesn't appear to show up in the Viewers either.

Is this something which only works with some readers or other output types?

I think I could use something like

p.noindent {text-indent: 0pt}
span.drop {font-size:xx-large}

<p class="noindent"><span class="drop">T</span>his is a big capital.</p>

to achieve the same thing, but the original suggestion results in neater HTML if it can be made to work.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, That only works with LRF output.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't get it to work with LRF either.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You mean the demo files dont show a dropcaps?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
ePub CSS doesn't support the :first-letter selector, so unless Calibre does some very fancy conversion, it won't work in ePub output.

For a method that should work in ePub (don't know about other formats) see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=633655

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I was browsing the Calibre User Manual today and came across the section named
"How do I use some of the advanced features of the conversion tools?"
in the FAQ with attached demo files.

When I tried the HTML DropCaps examples I couldn't get the simpler one to work, i.e. the one which uses the following CSS:-

.drop { text-indent: 0pt}
.drop:first-letter { font-size:xx-large}

with a paragraph coded:-

<p class="drop">This is a plain text based dropcaps ... </p>

This suggestion works great in my browser and when viewing the imported .zip in the ebook-viewer, but not in a converted EPUB or LRF on my Sony PRS-505. It doesn't appear to show up in the Viewers either.

Is this something which only works with some readers or other output types?

I think I could use something like

p.noindent {text-indent: 0pt}
span.drop {font-size:xx-large}

<p class="noindent"><span class="drop">T</span>his is a big capital.</p>

to achieve the same thing, but the original suggestion results in neater HTML if it can be made to work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Kovid - Yes I mean I can't get your FAQ HTML demo file Drop Cap to work in a converted LRF. The fancy "illuminated image" (method 1) works but not the plain text (method 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ePub CSS doesn't support the :first-letter selector
Based on pdurrant's reply I guess method 2 can't be made to work with an EPUB, but I had assumed that it must once have worked with LRF when you originally posted the demo.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the upgrade to 0.6 breaks the text based dropcap (it used a hack that unfortunately can't be ported to 0.6)
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

OK - thanks for investigating. I'll use the other alternatives.