Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
What's the best ePub reader with WiFi and a web browser?

I want Wikipedia and text-based Google searches. I tried making my own list of possibilities from the comparison matrix, but thought I'd save some time and ask here.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What's the best ePub reader with WiFi and a web browser?

You're sitting in front of it right now (your computer).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
How about the Dell MID running Android
Note: its the one second from the left next to the flip flop.

There is also the Archos 5 running Android
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Ack. Good to know I wasn't missing something. If only the Kindle supported ePub (or better yet, if only the Nook had a web browser).
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Pocketbook 302 has WiFi, but I don't know if it has a web browser or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only shipping EInk devices I am aware of with a web browser are the Kindles and the iRex iLiad. These don't meet your requirements. It is a shame that the iRex DR800SG does not have a browser, because the device does seem to be capable of supporting a "good enough" browsing experience.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
(or better yet, if only the Nook had a web browser).
I heard a rumour there might be a web browser for it some day. Up to you to take that chance.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
I want Wikipedia and text-based Google searches. I tried making my own list of possibilities from the comparison matrix, but thought I'd save some time and ask here.
Right now, your best bet is one of the large screen WinCE machines like the JE-100. You might also consider the HP iPAQ211 PDA. It's only 4 inches, but the battery life is probably better than the JE-100.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am also looking for a device that has wi-fi and a web browser. Any future devices with e-ink?
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Onyx Boox 60 (and the identical BeBook Neo) has WiFi and a web browser.

There are a few more in the pipeline that might also have these capabilities, such as the PocketBook 302 and the Spring Design Alex. Also, most of the expected devices with the new SiPix screens (6" and 9"), e.g. the Hanlin A6 and A9, are expected to have WiFi and perhaps a web browser.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Ack. Good to know I wasn't missing something. If only the Kindle supported ePub (or better yet, if only the Nook had a web browser).
You can add a web browser on the Nook if you softroot it. I have one on mine. It's a little cumbersome and slow though. My wife has a Kindle2 and the browser on the Kindle is not much different than the one on my Nook.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Compared with everything else out there right at the moment, there really isn't a good one. The iPad will obviously do what you're wanting, but it's not e-ink. You might want to look into the Que or wait for Skiff. Lastly, later this year you'll probably see a few offerings with Mirasol displays that might meet your requirements. Basically, this year is going to be one of transition for the industry as it gears up for what will be the next big "in" tech device: the tablet in many varied flavors. If you can have a little patience, grasshopper, by the end of this year and into the next you'll have lots and lots of options to choose from that will make anything you buy today look like something from the 90s.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
SharonFruit
SharonFruit began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, Boox60
There are two very good readers for that: Boox 60 and PocketBook 302.

Both could be find at a variety of online stores, including this one: www.ereadersandtablets.com
SharonFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Alex may be the way to go.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote