Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Put your questions to Fantasy author Raymond Feist

http://www.bookgeeks.co.uk/2009/04/0...raymond-feist/

Quote:
Next week we are going to be running an interview with legendary fantasy author Raymond Feist - author of over 25 books including the seminal Magician (1982) and the numerous other stories of the Riftwar Cycle
From bookgeeks.co.uk
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I have one of his books sitting in my collection, but his fans will probably love this.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thumbs down Feist's newest book

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
I have one of his books sitting in my collection, but his fans will probably love this.
I just bought in hardcover his newest book (released in the past couple of weeks) Rides a Dread Legion and I have to say I find it boring and dragging. I like Feist -- or did until this book -- but I'm struggling to read this one. It seems like a poor rehash of prior books and the characters are cardboard.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Feist has gone drastically downhill since the Serpent War Saga in my opinion. The Riftwar Legacy was absolute tripe that grew out of a computer game! Conclave of Shadows was boring as bat shite.

The first two of the Darkwar Saga I found to be midly enjoyable and I actually really enjoyed the third. I was hoping that was an indication that he might be returning to good form. I guess not

I remember the days when I would buy his books in HB as soon as they came out! Not anymore.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
True. Until Serpentwar, I liked almost every book very much (almost - Prince of the Blood and King's Buccaneer weren't all that enjoyable for me). After Serpentwar, I only liked a few books, mostly from the Legends series (Feist's world, other writer's story).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I really enjoyed Kings Buccaneer but agree that Prince of the Blood was a bit ho-hum. Still better than his later tripe though.

I must admit I've only read the first two in the Legends series as I heard the last one about Jimmy the Hand was atrocious so I never bothered.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I heard the last one about Jimmy the Hand was atrocious so I never bothered.
Even worse than that.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Have to agree that his recent work has really not been up to par for me.

I Used to grab everything I cou;d get by him untill the Serpentwar (Though I did get through them), but stopped afterwords. Now, while I did pick up one of his recent books to flick through, I couldn't care enough to plunk down the £6-8 for that one book.

While his Empire series was intresting, it did seem that his co-writer, Janny Wurts did most of the work as the style was quiet different.

Having said that, his earlier books, Magican, Silverthorn, etc are still some of my favorites.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
While his Empire series was intresting, it did seem that his co-writer, Janny Wurts did most of the work as the style was quiet different.
While I agree with the general assessment that his latest offerings are quite a bit weaker than his earlier efforts, I need to defend him in this case. The Empire series was a truly collaborative effort, with Feist and Wurts swapping chapters back and forth, rewriting each other's scenes. Yes, the style is markedly different from REF's usual fare, but it's also quite (but IMO not as vastly) different from Wurts' style. There are occasional scenes where you can still detect who wrote what (the scene where Mara's spy master infiltrates the Hamoi Tong HQ is definitely showing REF's signature, e.g.), but to say that Janny Wurts did most of the work is grossly unfair and, from what I know, plain wrong.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
While I agree with the general assessment that his latest offerings are quite a bit weaker than his earlier efforts, I need to defend him in this case. The Empire series was a truly collaborative effort, with Feist and Wurts swapping chapters back and forth, rewriting each other's scenes. Yes, the style is markedly different from REF's usual fare, but it's also quite (but IMO not as vastly) different from Wurts' style. There are occasional scenes where you can still detect who wrote what (the scene where Mara's spy master infiltrates the Hamoi Tong HQ is definitely showing REF's signature, e.g.), but to say that Janny Wurts did most of the work is grossly unfair and, from what I know, plain wrong.
Could be, as I've not read much of her other work.

I assumed that she did much of the work as there was such a change in style, which in most collaborative works I've read means that the someone other then the headline writer did most of the work.

So If I'm wrong, I'll apologize but withe the caveat that by the time I got to the Empire books, I had gotten a bit fed up with the repetitiveness of Fiest's work, and as such did to pay as much attention to the Empire books when reading them as I did his earlier books.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 AM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Raymond Feist is one of my favourite fantasy authors. I loved the Magician and the other two books in the trilogy.

My first contact with the author was with the Serpentwar Saga, which I loved.

Conclave of Shadows was not in the same level, not because it sucked, but because the other books were excelent.

Anyway, Raymond's style is a joy to read. At least for me. I didn't read the last trilogy yet, but I already have the first two pbooks (the third iis on the way) and will start reading fairly soon.

I think there's somewhere a video interview of more than 40 minutes, for those interested.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote