Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
gphotomom
gphotomom began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura One
Kobo desktop app opens to rakuten site (Japanese language)

The Kobo desktop app opens to Rakuten site (all Japanese) when I click on the "Account" icon. When I'm logged in using the same id on the website I get the English version. I do have a rakuten id, and I've tried to delete that from my kobo account to see if that fixes the problem, that didn't work. Also tried re-installing the Kobo desktop app, and clearing browser cache.

I'm on Mac OS X. Is there any way I can modify the app files so everything links to the English/usa store and account pages online?
gphotomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Contact Kobo. BTW there is No USA store. I use Canada Store.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Contact Kobo. BTW there is No USA store. I use Canada Store.
If the little flag on the site is set to the US flag then you're in the "US store". It's true Kobo is based in Canada, but they present you with a localized store based on your billing info and the country flag you have set. When people mention the US store or NZ, AU, UK, etc. that's what they mean.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I in USA... My Flag is Canada! I dint pick it! They did. I have NEVER Visited or Lived in Canada! & when I call about a problem I get Nice Helpful people in Canada to help me!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
gphotomom

I have the kobo aura one purchased from eBay Japan. I made the mistake of installing the Kobo desktop app while also setting up the kobo initially, and I think some Japanese links or codes got buried in the app. The kobo itself, and my online store is working properly, it's just the account link on the desktop app is not working right.
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
gphotomom

PS - I installed Kobo on a different computer and the software works properly. I think there's something that happens when I sync the (Japanese purchased) kobo aura one that changes the account info in the desktop app. So maybe I need to modify the Kobo software... Any tips will be much appreciated.

I've already changed the .conf file to point to kobo instead of rakuten, but perhaps rakuten or Japan is appearing elsewhere?

This is the site that my account link opens to: https://my.rakuten.co.jp

Thanks.

Last edited by gphotomom; 01-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
gphotomom

Oh, hey, I fixed it! For the desktop edition, I had to go into my hard drive's Library files and change the .conf file to say =kobo instead of =rakuten (same mod that I had to do on the Kobo reader software). THANK you to those members here who posted tips in other threads on how to solve that problem. The desktop app AND kobo aura one are both working as expected.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
gphotomom

The latest software update changed my links back to the Japanese store.

The new .conf file doesn't look the same as the last one. Does anyone know if this is the line of code that must be changed, and if so, what should it say in order to open the US/Canada bookstore?
<string>com.kobo.desktop.RakutenBooks</string>

Thank you
Old 08-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Where are you physically? I've noticed Kobo's apps and websites like to show you the store of where your IP is. If I use a Japanese IP with a VPN for instance it shows the Japan store, U.S with U.S. IP, Canada with Canadian IP etc. But when I sign in with my Canadian account with a Canadian billing address I get taken back to the Canadian store even if my IP is in Japan for example.

I've looked at the .conf file of the latest Windows version and I just see the same affiliate=Kobo.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
gphotomom

I'm in the US. I can't find the "affiliate=" line in the code - it's not appearing in the .conf file like it did previously.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
gphotomom

to be clear, the reader is working okay. The desktop app however is linking to Japan (this url https://my.rakuten.co.jp ) And of course since it's all in Japanese it's very difficult for me to attempt to log in and change my settings
Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The affiliate is in a different conf file; I believe affiliate.conf

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
gphotomom

Fixed it. For the record I had to go to:
Library> Application Support > Kobo> Kobo Desktop Edition > Affiliate.conf
and using text editor this had to be changed to:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #14
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphotomom View Post
to be clear, the reader is working okay. The desktop app however is linking to Japan (this url https://my.rakuten.co.jp ) And of course since it's all in Japanese it's very difficult for me to attempt to log in and change my settings
Alright. It might be easier if instead of fiddling with files you just log in. This works to change the app to English from Japanese at least on the Windows version.

Click the gear icon in the top right corner.

Click the first item in the menu that looks like this 設定. A box should pop up with a dropdown menu showing 日本語. Click that drop down box and select English and click OK. Now the app should be in English even if the store is in Japanese. Then log in with your account and it should change the store to U.S.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote