Help me about Font

Sorry for my poor English
I have copied Bookerly font to Fonts folder in my Kobo Aura
Content display very well, but Title and Table of Content is wrong
https://tinhte.vn/store/2016/10/3898...11501_1_p1.jpg
https://tinhte.vn/store/2016/10/3898...11528_1_p1.jpg
what i need to do to fix it
Please help me

Last edited by duongqw; 11-01-2016 at 07:48 AM.
duongqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
There is some information in this thread which may explain what is happening.

Take a look at the firmware patches to see if there is anything there that might help.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
duongqw
duongqw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
There is some information in this thread which may explain what is happening.

Take a look at the firmware patches to see if there is anything there that might help.
Thank for your reply, but that thread doesn't have any solution for my problem
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Have you tried sideloading another font to see if you have the same problem?

just from looking at the images, it looks like Bookerly doesn't support those characters and that is why you are seeing the tofu blocks. Does Bookerly give you any issues when rendering those same characters inside of a book? (I think you said it does, just making sure.)

As an experiment, try downloading Google's Noto font. Scroll down to find your language, load it up and see if the problem is corrected: https://www.google.com/get/noto/ At least then you will know if the problem is sideloaded fonts or Bookerly specifically.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
duongqw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you tried sideloading another font to see if you have the same problem?

just from looking at the images, it looks like Bookerly doesn't support those characters and that is why you are seeing the tofu blocks. Does Bookerly give you any issues when rendering those same characters inside of a book? (I think you said it does, just making sure.)

As an experiment, try downloading Google's Noto font. Scroll down to find your language, load it up and see if the problem is corrected: https://www.google.com/get/noto/ At least then you will know if the problem is sideloaded fonts or Bookerly specifically.
Inside the book, Bookerly displays very well, but not title and table of content
I have tried many font and it not work
I think Kobo only use its built-in fonts for Title and Table of Content not the fonts i have added, but i don't know how to replace built-in fonts
Do you have any suggestion?
Advert
Old 11-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by duongqw View Post
Thank for your reply, but that thread doesn't have any solution for my problem
The poster in that thread seems to have exactly the same issue as you, and was advised:

Quote:
In that case there is probably nothing you can do without patching the firmware. While it is possible that a patch could be made to change the font-family used in each place that could contain Vietnamese text, that is likely to be a big job and would have to be redone each time the firmware is updated. I can't personally commit the time needed to do this though, I think it would just be too much work unless there is a way to automate the process.
This is why I suggested looking at the firmware patches. Maybe something already exists to help you? If nothing exists, there is no solution apart from talking to Kobo.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Maybe this thread can be useful to you.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As far as I can tell the Table of Content entry text is always Georgia by default. In firmware 4.1.7729 (but not fw 3.19.5761 or earlier) it is possible to patch the firmware to specify a different font but it is a job that could best be described as "would suit enthusiast".

I know this is possible because I patched my AuraOne to display ToC entries in the built-in Avenir sans-serif font - not because of missing glyphs but because I find sans-serif easier to read in the ToC. I suspect a sideloaded font would also work.

Similarly, it is also possible to change the font used in various parts of the GUI Book Lists e.g. Book Title, Series, Author. Changing to a built-in font works "better" but you can also use a sideloaded font if you are prepared to take the extra step of opening a kepub after every full reboot to force the system to "see" your sideloaded fonts again. Many of these GUI items can also be patched in fw 3.19.5761 as I have successfully experimented with changing my Aura H2O and GloHD to display Title, Series, Author in a sideloaded font at sizes more to my taste.

There are currently no "magic button" solutions which make these GUI patches as easy to install as GeoffR's patches to other parts of the firmware.

If you want to investigate further you would first need to read and understand pipcat's alternative method for patching the nickel file. tshering's method for applying Modifications for Bad Eyes is also a possibility. If you can get that working, I am more than happy to pass on what I've learned about which bits need to be changed to affect the look of the Book Lists and ToC.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
duongqw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As far as I can tell the Table of Content entry text is always Georgia by default. In firmware 4.1.7729 (but not fw 3.19.5761 or earlier) it is possible to patch the firmware to specify a different font but it is a job that could best be described as "would suit enthusiast".

I know this is possible because I patched my AuraOne to display ToC entries in the built-in Avenir sans-serif font - not because of missing glyphs but because I find sans-serif easier to read in the ToC. I suspect a sideloaded font would also work.

Similarly, it is also possible to change the font used in various parts of the GUI Book Lists e.g. Book Title, Series, Author. Changing to a built-in font works "better" but you can also use a sideloaded font if you are prepared to take the extra step of opening a kepub after every full reboot to force the system to "see" your sideloaded fonts again. Many of these GUI items can also be patched in fw 3.19.5761 as I have successfully experimented with changing my Aura H2O and GloHD to display Title, Series, Author in a sideloaded font at sizes more to my taste.

There are currently no "magic button" solutions which make these GUI patches as easy to install as GeoffR's patches to other parts of the firmware.

If you want to investigate further you would first need to read and understand pipcat's alternative method for patching the nickel file. tshering's method for applying Modifications for Bad Eyes is also a possibility. If you can get that working, I am more than happy to pass on what I've learned about which bits need to be changed to affect the look of the Book Lists and ToC.
Can you tell me more detail about how to used in GUI by using GeoffR's patches, i have read it but i can't find the code used to change the GUI font
Old 11-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by duongqw View Post
Can you tell me more detail about how to used in GUI by using GeoffR's patches, i have read it but i can't find the code used to change the GUI font
There are no current GeoffR-style patches for changing fonts used in the GUI. There are only pipcat-style patches ... and possibly tshering-style patches but I'm not familiar with that method myself.

Which firmware version are you actually using? Are you already using GeoffR's Kobo Patcher to apply other patches?

The reason I ask is that I did a bit more investigation following my previous post. I think I can make a GeoffR-style patch for fw 3.19.5761 for GUI Table of Contents entries, but this is not going to work for any later firmware versions.

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to make GeoffR-style patches for user-configurable fonts for the following GUI items:
  • Book List items (Title, Series, Author)
  • Table of Contents header line
in either 3.19.5761 or 4.1.7729.

Is my experimental GeoffR-style 3.19.5761 patch for 'User-configurable font for ToC entries' of interest to you?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Hi,

Last week I posted a similar question here, but I haven't had time yet to look at the problem.

I haven't tried to remove the built-in fonts yet as tshering suggested, however, I did patch the nickel file using pipcat's code.

I tried to replace the default Georgia with Bookerly, but the result is strange. In some place, font was changed, but not in others. Unfortunately, the 2 most important for me are the book titles and dictionaries are not displayed properly. I will post some screenshots as I get home this evening.
haidinhtuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can make Vietnamese fonts work in the GUI by removing all interfering fonts. I was to lazy to find out which fonts actually do interfere, and simple removed any font but KoboNickel. As you can see on the picture, Vietnamese is shown.

Since somebody asked in another thread for Vietnamese and Sanskrit transliteration: You can also see in the first image that nickel does not support all diacritics needed to display transliterated Sanskrit. But as soon as one opens a kepub/kepub.epub, the GUI starts using the custom fonts too (see the second image).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20161102_200934.png
Views:	231
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	152765   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20161102_203336.png
Views:	233
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	152766  

Last edited by tshering; 11-02-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You can make Vietnamese fonts work in the GUI by removing all interfering fonts. I was to lazy to find out which fonts actually do interfere, and simple removed any font but KoboNickel. As you can see on the picture, Vietnamese is shown.

Since somebody asked in another thread for Vietnamese and Sanskrit transliteration: You can also see in the first image that nickel does not support all diacritics needed to display transliterated Sanskrit. But as soon as one opens a kepub/kepub.epub, the GUI starts using the custom fonts too (see the second image).
Hi tshering,

Thank you for your reply!

My first attempt did not work well. Actually, I made my KA1 unbootable and need a factory reset.

In my second attempt, the good news is my KA1 still works , however, the problem of missing some characters is not yet solved.

I tried to remove Avenir, Amasis, Caecilia, Georgia and KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M -> doesn't work. Even when I deleted all fonts except KoboNickel or rename the whole folder, it still keeps the default system font.

Hmm, did I miss something?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
tshering
Wizard

haidinhtuan,
are you sure that you deleted the fonts that you wanted to delete? Or that you renamed the whole folder? If I delete all fonts in /local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/, not a single character is shown in the GUI, but only squares. Maybe you did some typo when writing the path.

How are you rename/delete the folders/files? By script? By telnet? Or did you overwrite the files with empty files?

Last edited by tshering; 11-02-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #15
haidinhtuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
haidinhtuan,
are you sure that you deleted the fonts that you wanted to delete? Or that you renamed the whole folder? If I delete all fonts in /local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/, not a single character is shown in the GUI, but only squares. Maybe you did some typo when writing the path.

How are you rename/delete the folders/files? By script? By telnet? Or did you overwrite the files with empty files?
Hi, tshering. Firstly, I use a fresh copy of Kobo firmware and edit the archive directly (delete fonts in usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/), then copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into .kobo folder of the reader. I've read somewhere that Kobo device always checks for KoboRoot.tgz file in .kobo folder and if such a file exists, the reader will extract the file and overwrite it on current system files.

Am I doing wrong? From your reply, I feel like I have to delete fonts directly in the reader??

Last edited by haidinhtuan; 11-02-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Tags
kobo aura