Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
kran
kran began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
language ? java ?

Hi,

What's the best language to create iLiad applications ?

Is it possible to install the JVM on the iLiad ?

Kran
kran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kran View Post
What's the best language to create iLiad applications ?
C

----
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
kran

short but effective, I like it ! ^^

I don't really understand how to use the toolchain for now, even with the lots of very interresting threads...

For example, if I wanna create a C program, how can I know witch functions of the SDK are available ?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Java is available, see THe new development toy from iRex: java. My impression from the sidelines is that this is a minimal port - just enough to get MobiPocket Reader working. If you have Java experience, this might be the way to go though. Search for java in the iLiad forums for many more details.

I would love to know why MobiPocket Reader can only access one font (out of only two possible). This is presumably a Java issue, although the same Java-based reader on the PepperPad 3 can access all available TTF fonts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
kran

Sounds cool ...

I have another question : why does not MobyPocket read epub files on the iLiad whereas it's possible to do this on my computer, with this reader ?
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader does not "read" ePub, it instead imports it (converts it to MOBI) and reads the MOBI version. Once you have converted it under Windows, the iLiad will read the resulting MOBI file.

MobiPocket's current ePub conversion is poor, and FBReader 0.8.14 on the iLiad may be more to your liking for ePub (also poor support, but from a better reader application). I prefer FBReader 0.8.4 on the iLiad, which does not support ePub but if you rename .epub to .oebzip it may work anyway (because many ePubs are essentially OEB ebooks).
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
kran

Thx.

I have installed FBReader 1.14, but I'm running into many problems (for example,the buttons don't work and make the iLiad stop working, except the Page Bar). Besides, the css seems to be not supported. I have search the web for another ePub reader on the iLiad, but I've found nothing for now ... Do you know something about this ?

K.

ps : It could seem a bit stupid, but what is iPDF ? the native reader ?

Last edited by kran; 06-05-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Max
Connoisseur
Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad, DR1000s
Hi, iPDF is the PDF reader of the iliad. You can download the src from iRex.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
kran

^^ ok, so I'm not completely dumb

Someone knows something about this ? :

Quote:
I have installed FBReader 1.14, but I'm running into many problems (for example,the buttons don't work and make the iLiad stop working, except the Page Bar). Besides, the css seems to be not supported. I have search the web for another ePub reader on the iLiad, but I've found nothing for now ... Do you know something about this ?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I have installed FBReader 1.14, but I'm running into many problems (for example,the buttons don't work and make the iLiad stop working, except the Page Bar). Besides, the css seems to be not supported.
FBReader does not support CSS. Unfortunately, there are no other ePub readers available. See Mobipocket announcements at IDPF conference for screenshots of Adobe DE, MobiPocket Reader, and FBReader rendering ePub on a Windows machine. Adobe DE will probably never be available for the iLiad, because MobiPocket requires DRM exclusivity on E-Ink readers.

When using FBReader on the iLiad, never exit using the four keys under the screen but instead use the Upper Left/Quit Button. This is because the other keys are caught by the contentlister and never get to FBReader (so you end up with a zombie FBReader task running).
Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
kran

... I'm going to read this thread right now. But in FBReader, none of the buttons works properly : instead of doing anything cool, the green LED don't stop blinking.

Last edited by kran; 06-05-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
.But in FBReader, none of the buttons works properly : instead of doing anything cool, the green LED don't stop blinking.
I suggest rebooting. If the problem persists, post follow on questions to the Integrated FBReader 0.8.14 with ePub and Registry Support thread.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
I code with Python based upon amirshims Python 2.5-port which is a complete one with PIL and django added.
I have no clue of C or Java or C++ - so I believe you can have faster apps with C.

I suggest to try it out if you have Java and Python knowledge.
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote