Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #16
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we own a Kindle and a 505, purchased them both at the same time. The Sony holds a charge much longer than our Kindle, with the wireless off also
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
In response to Alisa: I understand--right now I'm leaning against the Kindle tho--from all accounts that I've read (although if you have other thoughts please let me know!) the battery life is a lot shorter than the others. Getting access to a power outlet is going to be sort of hit or miss, so right now battery life is really important to me.

Dale--thanks for the help! Just a quick question--how difficult is it to convert the format with the Sony? Is it pretty easy to set up? (I'm probably "average" at computer stuff...)
The battery life on the Kindle is similar to that on the cybook, maybe 10% less or so, if you turn the wireless off. Both have very good life. I think the Sony may win there but it is very difficult to know exactly.

Setting up the conversion stuff is fairly straight forward if you use libprs500. you need to install python and then the program. After that you typically use a command line program or a .bat file to convert the files. Most people buy Microsoft LIT files and convert them. The author of libprs500 is a member here and supports it very well. I think he now has a converter for Mobi as well. For classics the work is already done here at MobileRead for both Sony and Mobi (which also works on Kindle) and you can just choose from about 1500 works and download them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Connie,

Look in the Flea Market section. Someone, can't rember who is selling there V2 iLiad, farily new if I remember correctly for $450 OBO. So, that puts it pretty close to your range.

BOb
Yea, it is a great buy but not if long battery life is your main concern.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #19
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Thanks so much to everyone with your replies!

I looked at a couple of the iliads that are for sale in the flea market--and I do think they look great, but right now battery life really is the main concern.

Ok--forgive me for being dense here--and this should really it, I promise!

I think I'm leaning toward the sony--but just want to clarify something--it sounds like converting files to the sony format isn't too bad. I'm assuming the libprs500 only works with DRM-free books? Is there any way to remove the copy protection? I've been looking around some of the larger ebook stores--and most of them seem to have copy protected books...is this correct?

And one final question--I know pdfs are generally not good for ereaders--but if you buy an ebook in pdf format, would that work/be displayed legibly on either the sony ereader or the cybook?

Thanks so much, and this should really be it!
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And one final question--I know pdfs are generally not good for ereaders--but if you buy an ebook in pdf format, would that work/be displayed legibly on either the sony ereader or the cybook?

Thanks so much, and this should really be it!
No. Virtually all ommercial PDF books have DRM. No eInk device can display DRM-protected PDFs.

Overall I'd recommend the CyBook. It is more expensive than the Sony but it offers a great deal more in terms of functionality, primarily an excellent dictionary lookup capability and the ability to load your own fonts and read any book in any font size. It also has a much wider range of bookstores from where one can buy books - MobiPocket (which the CyBook supports) is very much of a de facto industry standard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #21
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Duodora, I've got the 505 and like it a lot. I've traveled with it a bit and it is very handy on the road. I get about three plus weeks per charge. Were I to switch off the device completely rather than let it sleep, I expect I'd get more time. I recommend you get the optional charger as that pumps up the battery faster than the USB charger and won't take up much space in your bag.

I get by fine with the Sony book site supplemented with Fictionwise who now sell Sony .lrf formatted books.

Truth is, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the choices.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
[quote=Duodora;176993]I think I'm leaning toward the sony--but just want to clarify something--it sounds like converting files to the sony format isn't too bad. I'm assuming the libprs500 only works with DRM-free books? Is there any way to remove the copy protection?
[quote=Duodora;176993]

Search the forum for ConvertLIT. Also, do a google search.

Quote:
If it doesn't have DRM you can convert it to LRF with libprs500. It isn't perfect, but good enough. IF you really want you can edit the results before making it into an LRF. If the PDF has DRM, I think you are out of luck.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #23
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Have to go with Harry T's suggestion of considering the Cybook.

While the Sony 'might' give a little improved battery life, It is not that significent from what I understand. The number of books available for Cybook from all the different stores is a strong advantage to me. i.e No need to convert, which while easy with bookdesigner and other software, is still an additional step.

Thats the reason why I ended up Purchasing A Cybook, after passing on my Sony PRS500 insted of just getting a 505.

Also the wait might not be very long. NAEB has a Order going out in mid-may, so if you place the order now, you should probably get it before the end of the month.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's really nothing to choose between the Sony and the Gen3 in terms of battery life. They "use" the battery in very different ways, but both have extremely long lives between a charge (of the order of a few weeks, with normal usage). Although my personal preference is for the Gen3, I'm sure you'd be very happy with either machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I do love my Kindle but if you're concerned you won't get to an outlet often enough, I'd go with the Cybook. I find I usually charge once a week with the wireless off, sometimes twice if I'm reading a lot (which I do while traveling). I was *this* close to getting a Cybook when the Kindle came out, actually. The Cybook has dictionary lookup in addition to a great variety of titles. Plus Mobipocket is now cracked so you can strip the DRM off and not worry about having to re-authorize future devices.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #26
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Thanks so much to everyone who's offered input

I think I'm going to get the cybook--and try to get my order in before the next shipment! I really do like the sony, but it just comes down to ease of use when traveling. I'm going to be moving around for about a year, and click/download/read is invaluable

I've been on a lot of forums and there aren't very many where people are this helpful, thanks a lot
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #27
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I started here just like you, a seeker of advice. Then for some reason someone wanted a thread to have a robot in it, and now I'm trapped in a stew of unutterable silliness, avatar madness, Karma-seeking, wolf-baiting, bubble bath madness, covered in sticky notes and enough squid DNA to film three episodes of CSI.

Run. RUN. Please tell the world my story.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-02-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: “Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.”
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Run. RUN. Please tell the world my story.
GET HER ! Don't let her leave the compound.

BOb
Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #29
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Oh no, even worse. Now the forum has given me a sex change. <sigh> Just as well, I suppose. It's not like I was doing much with "it" anyway, or even doing "it" right.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Oh no, even worse. Now the forum has given me a sex change. <sigh> Just as well, I suppose. It's not like I was doing much with "it" anyway, or even doing "it" right.
I was referring to Duodora, the person you were telling to run.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-02-2008 at 03:36 PM.