Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer iOS 7 over the "classic" iOS look?
Yes, iOS 7 looks better 27 19.57%
No, I preferred the previous iOS look & feel 69 50.00%
I'm fine with both; it's natural/acceptable evolution 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #121
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
No she hasn't. But though that might give her a Windows 7 menu, it wouldn't make the charm bar go away, etc.

But why should she go seeking a replacement like that out? She's never needed to before. While pretty IT literate, she's not geeky and just wants things to work out the box: like Windows 7 did for her.

That's the key point. It's not that she's averse to learning new interfaces, she's taken to Android and ChromeOS very quickly, it's that even after 9 months Windows 8 just doesn't make intuitive sense.

Apologies all, this has drifted way off topic. Back to iOS 7!

Graham
As I said, the better ones prevent the Metro from showing up at all -- they boot to the desktop, create a new start menu just like the Win7 one, and disable the hot corners.

And you're right, she shouldn't have to seek this -- Microsoft should already do this. Which is why we don't buy Win8.

However, if you're suckered into buying it anyway, the question is, do you suffer through it to make a point, or fix the problem? How much mileage will she actually get out of being a desktop-Win8 martyr?

I totally agree it is pointless learning the new interface, I personally AM straight-up geeky and despise it all the same. If it's between suffering through Metro and installing a $5 program that automagically turns Win8 into Win7, I will choose the latter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #122
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
though that might give her a Windows 7 menu, it wouldn't make the charm bar go away, etc.
I very much suspect so, too, and have heard reports of it. No way did Microsoft only mess up the visible interface in Windows 8. Every upgrade of Windows brings its share of acute suffering to the user; upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 nearly drove me to insanity, and took away around 2 months of my life; for Windows 7's sake, though, it was worth it. But to go through all that again for the sake of an outright, in-your-face failure like Windows 8? Never! And, I'll never again upgrade to a higher iOS version, if it can possibly be avoided; both Microsoft and Apple are clearly beyond repair now. I'll also be ignoring the Mavericks upgrade following the iOS 7 disaster.

Quote:
But why should she go seeking a replacement like that out?
For what it's worth, I also found the Windows XP/7 start menu a step back compared to the Windows 95/98 start menu, which I'm still running today in Windows 7 thanks to Classic Shell -- thanks to keyboard shortcuts, the 95/98 start menu version is the fastest of all!
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #123
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Inconsistences between metro versions and desktop versions, confusing search results, charm bar popping up all the time, full screen apps replacement for start menu is jarring, it's like trying to use two different operating systems.

Yes, she has her machine set to be in desktop mode as much as possible, and is reasonably IT literate.

We're talking 9 months of daily use here.
I've been using a Win 8 Pro convertible mostly in tablet mode for the past 10 months and feel the same way about Windows8, but I am so accustomed to using a tablet since my iPad1 that I just wanted a Win tablet for personal use. I am stuck with a laptop for work, so on my time off, I wanted something that I can operate without a mouse and for all those times when iOS in inadequate.

I love the hardware, and hate the software. I doubt that this will ever change.
I hate how when you click on something, like a WMA for instance, you are catapulted back into the metro UI in full screen mode. To this day, I have not found out how to close the metro app I am in. I am very computer literate, but I can't be bothered to read how-to guides and manuals for something that should be intuitive. I am sure there is some combination of swipes or some other easy trick - I just don't think I should have to go googling how to do it. Instead, I just press the home button to go back onto desktop mode and try to ignore that there is a schizophrenic twin (metro) in the neighborhood.

Anyhow, in terms of the topic, iOS7 is growing on me. It took me a week or two to get used to it, but now find that the imorovements like the control center, which should have been there in the first place, are great. It slowed my iPad3 down quite a bit, though.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #124
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
No, I'm not switching to Android. I still prefer iOS. However, I really dislike the calendar and notes apps. Maybe it is time to look at third party apps. I do like the way some apps have updated to the new style. I just really hate all the white space and the neon colors and reduced legibility. Glad they fixed the excessive animation in the latest update. I haven't switched my iPhone over. I do think iOS 7 looks better on the new iPhones compared to my iPad. Maybe it's because the screen is smaller so the white space isn't as blinding.
If you like handwriting apps, I can recommend Noteshelf, if you prefer a mix, check out Noteledge. If you are looking more for a word processor, I downloaded CloudWord for free last week and it is pretty impressive for a free app.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #125
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

Control Center is a good illustration of the typical weakness of Apple software: totally non-configurable, enforcing buttons there for everyone, regardless of whether the user actually needs them, not allowing the user to put buttons there instead that the user would actually need. It's pitiful.
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #126
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
To this day, I have not found out how to close the metro app I am in. I am very computer literate, but I can't be bothered to read how-to guides and manuals for something that should be intuitive.
There are a few ways to do it. That said, it isn't obvious because there is no reason to close a Metro app. When it is in the background it is suspended so doesn't use any ram or processing power.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot vote in this poll. The options are not correct.

I prefer the look of iOS 6 but the feel of iOS 7. So option 1 is wrong. Option 2 is wrong. Option 3 doesn't fit.

It should be look/feel separated out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #128
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Talking

Haha... sorry, can't distinguish between "look" and "feel" myself. Anyway, I find iOS 7 totally inferior compared to iOS 6, so it's not a dilemma for me. A whopping 50% of those who voted in this poll seem to feel similarly.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #129
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, the look of iOS 6 is better. But the feel of iOS 7 is better. So yes, it's totally possible to distinguish look and feel as they don't go together in this case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #130
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Cool

Well, I for one am unable to distinguish between "look" and "feel" here. iOS 7 both looks and feels horrible to me. Imagine a pile of manure -- would you really be distinguishing between the "look" and "feel" of it? Not me... it's a pile of manure, and that's that.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #131
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I am very computer literate, but I can't be bothered to read how-to guides and manuals for something that should be intuitive.
That statement makes no sense. To become computer literate, one must read manuals. Period.

I've had my issues with Windows 8 on my Surface RT, but after a month I found it became quite intuitive. So much so, in fact, that I frequently find myself trying to use Windows 8 gestures on other devices.

I much prefer it today to Android and iOS despite its flaws. It provides me with more powerful and effective ways to do what I need to do. On a desktop, well, I can take it or leave it. But I think much of the criticism is overblown. Much like the way most Apple flaws are.

Thanks to Windows 8/RT, I will never own another personal laptop and my home PC is relegated to the role of media server. I don't think my work devices will be too far behind. 5 years, maybe a bit longer, seeing as how we just got off XP this year. The big screens and mice will still be there, but most likely in a docking station or VM environment. Mobility is going to be all about the hybrids. In my opinion anyway.

Last edited by pl001; 11-06-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: addition
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #132
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I've had my issues with Windows 8 on my Surface RT, but after a month I found it became quite intuitive. So much so, in fact, that I frequently find myself trying to use Windows 8 gestures on other devices.
If you are used to notifications on iOS / Android and you start using Windows 8, you will be closing apps all the time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #133
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
To become computer literate, one must read manuals. Period.

Definitely not true. I never read manuals as a rule, never have, as far back as I can remember, yet I'm computer-literate. I was introduced to computers by a friend, and I proceeded learning mostly by trial-and-error.

I'll give you another statement to replace the statement quoted above:

The hallmark of bad software is that it cannot be used efficiently without the user first studying the software's manuals. Period.

Windows 8 is a failure of epic proportions. No sense in denying that.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #134
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

There is a mixed reaction from people with iOS7, some are liking it and some don't.

Being unbiased - I like the older version but I don't find anything wrong with the current version, it is perfectly fine and you have more options now.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #135
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
you have more options now.
I'm afraid we have no option, Daniel. If I could simply downgrade to iOS 6, that would be an option, and then I wouldn't be so frustrated by iOS 7. When iPad mini Retina arrives in stores in a couple of weeks, will you get the option to use iOS 6 on it? Nope. Again, no option available. Plus, iOS by itself is an almost totally non-configurable, locked-down OS, which increases the dissatisfaction with iOS 7. If at least, within iOS 7, it were possible to revert some of the unfortunate design decisions made (such as, "please display the dock in the previous style, not that ugly translucent patch" -- a mustard patch on my iPad), that would have been forthcoming. But there is no such freedom of choice in iOS.