Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kobo Mini: So, which is it?

I've been eyeing the Mini for a while... I LOVE the small size, but was turned off by one spec:

http://www.kobo.com/kobomini/techspecs/

Quote:
5" E Ink touchscreen; Vizplex V110 display; 16-level grey scale
...but on this page:

http://www.kobo.com/kobomini

Quote:
Complete with a no-glare natural Pearl E Ink touchscreen and built-in Wi Fi, it’s the full Kobo experience at a great value.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've been eyeing the Mini for a while... I LOVE the small size, but was turned off by one spec:

http://www.kobo.com/kobomini/techspecs/

...but on this page:

http://www.kobo.com/kobomini
Apparently the same confusion existed with Sony 2 years ago... And apparently pearl = vizplex according to this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=17

This review is interesting too: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UMgI5jwo7bV

Ps: go for it! The screen is great, I too now prefer reading on my Mini over my Sony T1 (which is pearl but not as high resolution as the Glo and Paperwhite)

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-11-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
That says V220, the specs say V110.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
While I can't offer anything on the specific screen, I can say it looks and works great. I haven't had a single moment of regret or buyers remorse since I got mine.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
According to reviews, the Kobo Mini likely doesn't have a Pearl screen, so the blacks will be greyer. This might be offset by the fact that the Mini likely has a higher DPI and thus sharper looking text, as well as easily being able to adjust font weight to make the in-built fonts appear bolder. Try to demo it if possible, or consider getting your hands on a Sony Reader 350 if you're lucky enough to find one.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I couldn't resist the $49 sale here recently and so bought one. I have to agree with the above posters. The text looks very sharp and by increasing the font weight, it looks very dark.
The shops here have Sony, Kindle, and Kobo on display next to each other. In a side-by-side comparison, the Kobo Mini compares very favourably.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote