Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
tehmac
tehmac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
HTML to MOBI. How to create book "start" location?

Hello. I have an issue I hope you can help me with.

I've created a perfect HTML version of my ebook using Guido Henkel's instructions for formatting (and it does work perfectly in MOBI format), but I need to include the information to tell the Kindle where to look for the beginning of the book. Right now, it automatically goes to my table of contents instead of Chapter 1.

Now, I've read plenty about inserting the information into the <guide> section of the OPF file. But the problem is, I don't convert from ePUB to MOBI. I just put the HTML file into Calibre and convert that to MOBI, and it's perfect.

Is there a way I can tell it to choose a start location without going via ePUBs?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how to do this?

Many thanks.

Last edited by tehmac; 08-21-2012 at 10:22 AM.
tehmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way. You have to use an epub with the appropriate info in <guide>.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
tehmac
tehmac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm wary of converting HTML to ePUB, then ePUB to MOBI. What differences in formatting might I encounter between various devices with the resulting MOBI file after going via ePUB, rather than with a pure MOBI from HTML file?
tehmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I know if you use MobiPocket Creator you can tell where you want the book to be open. There is a tutorial document at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
I know if you use MobiPocket Creator you can tell where you want the book to be open. There is a tutorial document at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914
Unless you modify Mobipocket Creator, it may not work properly with a Windows system that has IE9 installed. There is a thread about it someplace on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert