Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
CSS/HTML question

I'm trying to duplicate the effect where a heading has some text justified to the left followed by some blank space, and then some text justified to the right, all on the same line (see circled area on attached image).

My instinct would be to create a single-row table with two cells. However, I know that pre-KF8 mobi files struggle with tables (I don't know how well KF8 deals with them). My question then is this: is there another way to achieve that formatting effect, and if not, does anyone know how well a KF8 conversion from epub in Calibre renders tables (for display on a Kindle device). I realize this is a little convoluted...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	89830  
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
My instinct would be to create a single-row table with two cells. However, I know that pre-KF8 mobi files struggle with tables .
How's this ??

No guarantee that it will work on a mobi, but an alternative to a table
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (2.0 KB, 252 views)
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

@mmat1 - veddy veddy clever. Thanks for that. I'm going to play around with that and the table option and see how they convert and render on a Kindle. FWIW, the KF8 conversion viewed through calibre's reader rendered just fine.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
How's this ??

No guarantee that it will work on a mobi, but an alternative to a table
The ePub didn't work. One side was a line above the other.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
ElMiko
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ePub didn't work. One side was a line above the other.
weird....worked fine with me... Not only that, but it rendered perfectly on the kindle, even when the table wouldn't. What viewer were you using that made it render incorrectly? did you make any additions to the text?
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Didn't work for me either in ADE; the right hand side seems to be a line above the left hand side.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I tried Mantano reader and it failed - right above the left.

Sure would like to see a solution to this problem.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does this idea help? http://css-tricks.com/left-align-and...the-same-line/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
This works fine in ADE
test B.epub
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
weird....worked fine with me... Not only that, but it rendered perfectly on the kindle, even when the table wouldn't. What viewer were you using that made it render incorrectly? did you make any additions to the text?
Sorry ...

It seemes to work well for me but i didn't check it fully. I got the same results with ADE as the others.

You should give PeterT's suggestion a try ...
Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
ElMiko
Addict

Interesting... none except mmat's seems to render as intended in Sigil (or consequently in Calibre). likewise, the mobi/KF8 conversions don't render correctly. It seems you can either design the epub to display correctly in calibre (and its KF8 conversion to render correctly on Kindle), or you can design it to render correctly on ADE, but not both.

EDIT: Wrote bad code... got bad result. GIGO. ignore this post
Attached Files
File Type: epub TEST-elmiko(2).epub (2.3 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by ElMiko; 07-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
This works fine in ADE
Attachment 89841
sorry, but I get bad results on browser-based renderers.

this seams to be the solution, following the advice given by PeterT's link

(Tested with ADE )
Attached Files
File Type: epub test_C.epub (1.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
@ ElMiko
you misspelled the classname in your sample: "alightright"

a light right ??
Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
ElMiko
Addict

You're all rockstars. thanks for the help.

@mmat- yeah, i just figured that out myself.... feeling pret-tee dumb.

for the record, renders poifectly on a Kindle, using calibre's KF8 conversion.

Last edited by ElMiko; 07-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Same as PeterT. I used ADE for Windows to view it. I did have a look at the code and I did notice that each header was supposed to be on a separate line as they both used paragraph level coding.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote