Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Vox for an elderly not computer literate person

I have just purchased a Vox for my Mum in the hope she will manage to receive emails and photos from me while I am on holiday.
I have been reading this forum in the hope I will become familiar with the reader before I try to explain it to her. It's been rather scary reading and I wondering if I've made a mistake....
Any tips would be gratefully received, also answers to the following:
1. Wifi - I have connected the Vox to my wifi, Mum lives nextdoor and has no wifi. Will popping into my house everyday or so work or could she lose the wifi set-up?
2. Can I de-clutter the home screen? She struggles with the TV remote as there are so many buttons/options!
3. If I can't de-clutter the home screen can I rearrange it?
4. Has the problem with the Vox not opening Kobo books been fixed? If I buy her Kobo books from the Kobo site will they now open for reading? I don't want to download the apps to make them work.. I've read about that and it would be too complicated for her.
5. Anyone who uses the email function please tell me if it freezes? Will receiving a low res .jpeg from my iPad cause any issues?
6. Do experienced Vox users find anything that especially causes problems.
If you've read to here thank you:-)
Amanda
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You can de-clutter by long-pressing any icon or widget and dragging to the garbage can.. If you did this to an app it is still available in your app menu. That would probably be better than moving to another screen (which you could also do). I suggest leaving only Kobo icons, gallery icon, settings icon and email on main screen for her.

Mail works fine, it does not freeze for pics but they do open in gallery... Will she be able to get out and back to main menu or will that confuse her?
I'm picturing my own 79 year old mother using my Vox and am thinking you better practice for a while with her so that she understands how to navigate the different screens.
Vox opens Kobo books in the Kobo app/icons with no issues, not sure where you got info that they don't...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks so much Chantal, I feel better already. My Mum is 83 so they learning curve will be steep. I just don't want her to be frightened. I hope, after listening to me drone on, she'll play and learn nothing awful can happen! If she gets the Vox in a muddle I'm hoping she can just switch off an begin again after a cup of tea!
Thanks again for your reassurances.
Amanda
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Given that you live right next door and are available for full-time tech support just might make it work.
But I wouldn't suggest the Vox to a senior with any less than this - there are just too many hoops to jump through and every one of them is a show stopper!
Sounds like you're gonna be spending a lot of "quality time" with your Mom.
Good luck!
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Two suggestions:

Show her how to use the home button right away, so that she can return to the familiar home screen if she gets lost. She will probably feel a lot more comfortable if she knows that pushing the home button will bring her to a familiar place.

Do not modify the thing. It will be easier for yourself and others to help her if it is as close to the factory defaults as possible. This is especially true if you're helping over the phone. (I've done this simplification thing before, and it always ends up making things more confusing.)
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks to one and all. I'll let you know how we do. Chantal you asked where I got the info about books not opening. There was a whole thread on it, when the person opened his book he got a ''Sorry we can't implement your request, please try again later'' or words to that effect. The post was from November so maybe it was a firmware issue.
Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Depending on how good your wireless router is, she may be able to get a good enough signal next door. Before I put in a wireless router, my son visiting with his laptop would use a neighbour's unsecured router, probably across the street.

Another tip: If you long press the Home button, the screen will show all recently used apps and save some steps.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks so much for the Home button tip. I didn't know about the long press. I am waiting for a case as she'll feel more secure holding it then we'll get going.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Orn8one
Groupie

Chantal here is the post about books not opening.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=Kobo+vox+case
It was by Arlenec on 26 Nov. I copied it for you as the link ends in case and it was its own thread and not about cases.

Unable to open books on Vox
Hi, I recieved my Vox about 3 days ago and have not been able to read any books that I have purchased thru Kobo. Every time I try to open them, I receive the following message "Sorry!, We couldn't open this item. We're working to fix the problem-- please try again later." I am beyond frustrated with this. I tried Kobo customer help last night and it was not a pleasant experience, I'm hoping some here may be able to explain what the heck is going on.
thanks Arlene
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Orn8one; if you ever want a link to just a single message, right click on the "digit" beside the "#" mark above the message (next to the word Karma); you will get the option to "copy link address". You can then paste that into a message.

So https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=1 is just the message you were interested in
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks for that PeterT. It's simple when you know how!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Chantal here is the post about books not opening.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=Kobo+vox+case
It was by Arlenec on 26 Nov. I copied it for you as the link ends in case and it was its own thread and not about cases.
This would have been an isolated incident...I've been following the posts since I purchased my Vox in October and while there have been all kinds of problems, especially at the beginning before the firmware update, there haven't been enough posts about this issue that I would have remembered it as a problem.
Hope your practice with your mom is going well...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks, we are doing ok. I think it's helped that I managed to find a pretty purple leather cover and an easy to hold soft stylus (Just Mobile Alupen). The big issues I am struggling with for both of us is difficulty in getting it to switch on after it's hibernated for a while and powered itself off during hibernation. Then the wireless switches off too. I am going to search to see if I can find any fixes for this, if not I'll post the questions!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
not sure, but is that the sleep of death problem some other people are having

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160421
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Thanks, we are doing ok. I think it's helped that I managed to find a pretty purple leather cover and an easy to hold soft stylus (Just Mobile Alupen). The big issues I am struggling with for both of us is difficulty in getting it to switch on after it's hibernated for a while and powered itself off during hibernation. Then the wireless switches off too. I am going to search to see if I can find any fixes for this, if not I'll post the questions!!!
The wireless powers down when you haven't used it for a while. I find if takes just a few seconds to power the wireless back up once you make a request that utilises it. The trick for me is not to keep hitting "retry", but to wait 5 seconds or so before hitting retry.

If you leave it open to an e-book it will not power off during hibernation. This is actually a bug and is slated to be fixed in the next update, but might help you in the meanwhile.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote