Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Ginnia
Connoisseur
Ginnia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can't get Metadata from Amazon

Lately, I've been having problems getting metadata from Amazon -- is it Calibre 8.38 or Amazon? I've noticed that Amazon is changing their web site appearance a lot lately ...

Hope this is a temporary problem...

Thanks,
Ginny
Ginnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnia View Post
Lately, I've been having problems getting metadata from Amazon -- is it Calibre 8.38 or Amazon? I've noticed that Amazon is changing their web site appearance a lot lately ...

Hope this is a temporary problem...

Thanks,
Ginny
Probably, Amazon

Calibre scrapes info.
When they move things around, the template needs to be adjusted.
Construction dust needs to settle
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
I've also not been able to download any amazon metadata (us), either for individual or bulk editing. Most of the books that I'm editing are from amazon, so the info should be there. Looks like February 3rd was the last time I was able to get metadata from amazon. Currently on calibre 0.8.37 under windows.

I suspect that it's something that Amazon is doing with their data/servers as Goodreads sent out messages that all their books with kindle info needed to be "rescued." Goodreads email: "As you may have noticed, Goodreads is transitioning to new sources of data for its book records. For years, we've used Amazon's data, and while they have always had certain restrictions and requirements, those terms have gotten harder and harder to adhere to. We have been working diligently to find a new, independent source of data. Amazon has given us until January 30 to stop using their data, and we have to meet this deadline."

I'm trying to be patient and wait out changes/updates going on at amazon but don't know if this is a sporadic issue or a widespread one.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@ElizabethN - just FYI, Goodreads not taking a feed from Amazon any more is completely unrelated to any changes that might be taking place with the Amazon website.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
It's an intermittent problem that's been going on for at least a couple of weeks, or whenever it was I posted about it. It works, then it doesn't. I suspect that things are getting moved around at Amazon, which "interrupts" the data scraping. It was working part of last evening, then it wasn't.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Good to know that it probably has nothing to do with feeds coming from amazon. I was afraid that amazon somehow might be trying to charge for their data by restricting access. Glad that Amazon US is occasionally working, just apparently not at times that I've been checking. Maybe my luck will improve on my day off.

Still no info coming from amazon US this morning (MST), but changing from amazon US to amazon UK pulls up info again, so I'll just use the amazon UK info and periodically check the status of amazon US info. The info from both sites appears to be the same for the indie books that I doublechecked.

Going to amazon and looking up details one book at a time reminds me of why I so appreciate calibre's edit metadata features.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's an intermittent problem that's been going on for at least a couple of weeks, or whenever it was I posted about it. It works, then it doesn't. I suspect that things are getting moved around at Amazon, which "interrupts" the data scraping. It was working part of last evening, then it wasn't.
Is this related to not being able to download covers from Amazon? I bought half a dozen books last weekend, which came without covers, and couldn't get a cover download for a single one of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is this related to not being able to download covers from Amazon? I bought half a dozen books last weekend, which came without covers, and couldn't get a cover download for a single one of them.
Yes. And sometimes when I do the manual version of the way calibre gets the "clean" Amazon covers, I've had issues too. (It's basically stripping out the "extras" from the image url / filename.)

It's annoying but I figure soon, Amazon will settle down and either things will work consistently again, or the devs will be able to work with whatever changes are happening.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Harry: A workaround. Go into Amazon, and copy the ASIN number for the book and plug it into Calibre. This seems to let it find the cover.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Every time I try it with amazon US it works (but then that's usually in the day India time, which is late at night US time. Maybe if you tried it just before going to bed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Every time I try it with amazon US it works (but then that's usually in the day India time, which is late at night US time. Maybe if you tried it just before going to bed.
It's been really uneven, Kovid. Time of day doesn't seem to be a reliable predictor. It was much worse with 8.36 and 8.35, but seems marginally better now with 8.38/8.39. But that could just be happenstance. When Amazon can't find the book it just downloaded to your Kindle...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
ynothughes1979
ynothughes1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Adds
I thought I set everything up correctly, but I can't send my news feeds from Calibre to my [username]@Kindle account?

Is this what everyone is talking about? Cause I don't know why it isn't working. I'm using gmail, and I tried it both w/ and w/o the mail server info at the bottom. Please help.

By the way Kovidgoyal--it's really a great program. Thank You
ynothughes1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that's not what this thread is discussing. Please start a new thread to discuss a different problem.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just retried downloading covers for the same 6 books that failed last Sunday, and they've all worked fine this time.

Is there any way, by the way, to add additional sources (eg "amazon.co.uk") to the list of sites that are searched for covers?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@HarryT - you could just install another metadata download plugin like the B&N one - which from my experience 99 times out of 100 has a better quality cover than what you get from Amazon.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote