Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
shane22
shane22 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Calibre - Designate Previously Read

What would be the best way to designate in Calibre that a book has already been read? I thought adding a column would be the way to go but couldn't figure out how to do it. I'm not overly computer literate and using a Mac so this may be easy for many but over my head.
shane22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
iq6000
Enthusiast
iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ECO Reader, iPhone
I use a manual system of tagging in Calibre.
I use 2 tags:
read and unread.
When I read a book I change the tag.

I also added column colouring rules so that Calibre displays the column text in a different colour depending on these tags. That way I can see at a glance which books have been read and which have not, and also which books I have not yet tagged.

There may very well be a better way to do this - I just did what seemed logical and was easy for me to implement.

Angela

Last edited by iq6000; 11-26-2011 at 03:26 AM.
iq6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@chane22, To add a own column choose Preferences -> Interfaces -> add your own columns. Then click on the green + to create a new custom column. Put "read" in field Lookup name and "Read" in field Column heading. Column type ist "Yes/No" and close work with "ok". You will see then the new column "Read" in the list. Take care that the entry is check. After restarting Calibre you will find the new column on the right end in your column list. Move it to the position you like it to see. You can make an entry in the booklist or you can use Edit metadata. Choose the tab custom metadata.
Hope, this will help you.
DD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Read Column.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	79374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Read Column3.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	79376  
Attached Images

Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
buukreader
buukreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I created a column called "My Rating." The "Rating" column is an imported average reader rating. When I finish a book I assign my own rating in the "My Rating" column. This lets me know quickly not only that I have read that book, but what I thought of it.
buukreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
shane22

These are all great ideas and I learned from each one of them so thanks, guys. I appreciate it. And I also appreciate my lack of computer skill not being slammed.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
I have a yes/no column for books I have read. I also the reading list plugin to maintain this column, so I can change a book from no to yes with a keyboard shortcut.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by buukreader View Post
I created a column called "My Rating." The "Rating" column is an imported average reader rating. When I finish a book I assign my own rating in the "My Rating" column. This lets me know quickly not only that I have read that book, but what I thought of it.
I do the same except I use the default "Rating" column. I've disabled the metadata down for this column (you do it from the little gear icon on the Edit Metadata window). I have no interest in other reader's ratings once I've decided to acquire a book.

I use a rating of zero (no stars) for unread and rate those I've read from 1 to 5. I then set up some saved searches to find "unread" (rating:false) and "read" (rating:true).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
shane22

It is interesting how creatively people can go about finding a solution to a problem. There are some great ideas in this thread. In the end I learned from DivingDuck how to make the yes/no columns and I now have a "read" column and an "unread" column.
English being the ridiculous language that it is could mean that "read" is for a book to be read or for one previously read. Anyway, in my case it means "already read" as opposed to the "unread" in the other column. Thanks to everyone for the help and the workable solution.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
I named my yes/no column "Is Read" to clear that up. Inelegent but it works.
I could have used a column with preset values of read, unread, and won't read(for things I've gotten for others or because they were freebies/some classics that I want to have but probably won't read-reRead.)
Thinking about doing that in my next clean install.
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote