Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #226
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I give Audible a lot of credit, but they were also one of my two object lessons in why DRM is categorically offensive and companies should be punished for using it. I'm not fond of using only "authorized" software, making sure the software is authorized before I want to use it, and having to remember login credentials for a company I no longer purchase from if I ever want to use my purchases again.

That said, along with the perpetual shackles on your Audible purchases, you also get perpetual support, including the option to re-download years-old purchases and the ability to get a rep on the phone to help recover old passwords, even if you aren't a current subscriber. I understand the DRM is catering to publishers' superstitions about how punishing your paying customers somehow inhibits piracy, and most people don't find it quite as offensive on so many levels as I do. Design that inhibits function and/or durability is something akin to heresy for me.

/rant
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #227
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Audible is one of the few places where I really don't mind the DRM. First off, if you really want to get past it, it's easy (though time consuming) to do. Just route the output to your favorite audio recording and you have a nice DRM free recording.

Second, audible has long had a very sensible policy about DRM. Once you are authorized, you don't have to re-authorize that device. So as long as you have that device, you can listen to your books. I'm not sure how different things will be now that Amazon owns Audible (geeze, I really, really hope they don't fold the audible website into the amazon website), but I do know that I can always listen to my audio books regardless and if I need to, I can format shift the audio books into a non-DRM format. If audible ever goes away, that's going to be the first thing that I do.

I do have all my audible books on two different devices (desktop and laptop) as well as backed on a couple of different hard drives. But I do that for all my media (audio books, ebooks, music) exception movies. Those are a bit too big to keep multiple copies of. Apple's approach to DRM for movies (having to re-authorize each time you watch) isn't nearly as good, but that's one reason that I've only purchased a dozen or so movies from Apple.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #228
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Audible is one of the few places where I really don't mind the DRM. First off, if you really want to get past it, it's easy (though time consuming) to do. Just route the output to your favorite audio recording and you have a nice DRM free recording.
The fact that anything you can play or display can be copied is one of the many reasons DRM is pointless technophobic ritual on the part of publishers. But as you point out, a lot of users who change computers every few years and use all 'default' software can get along without having to think about it too much.

Anyway, that tangent could go on forever. I wrapped up Dresden files #4, Summer Knight, and moved on to #5, Death Masks. I also have assorted dharma talks going, if those count, and am trying to track down more inspirational/motivational stuff for the regular morning commute in my near future.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #229
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, read by Rupert Degas. It ended a bit abruptly without solving much (or anything), but then, it tells the life of a mysterious innkeeper, and this was only part one.

I have now started Among Others by Jo Walton, narrated by Katherine Kellgren. I read the book last year and loved it, so I was looking forward to listening to this in audio.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #230
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, read by Rupert Degas. It ended a bit abruptly without solving much (or anything), but then, it tells the life of a mysterious innkeeper, and this was only part one.

I have now started Among Others by Jo Walton, narrated by Katherine Kellgren. I read the book last year and loved it, so I was looking forward to listening to this in audio.
It's going to be a trilogy. The second part, Wise Man's Fear, is have been out for a while and is available at audible. The third part, Doors of Stone isn't out yet, though rumors have it coming out next May. The second part is very good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #231
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's going to be a trilogy. The second part, Wise Man's Fear, is have been out for a while and is available at audible. The third part, Doors of Stone isn't out yet, though rumors have it coming out next May. The second part is very good.
I know it wasn't the end to Kvothe's story. The Wise Man's Fear has very good reviews over here (in Germany) too. Unfortunately, Audible.de still has it split in two parts if I don't want to change the narrator. I really like Rupert Degas, especially his voice for Kvothe, so I think I'll wait for it to be available for one credit.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #232
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished reading Trading in Danger, by Elizabeth Moon, read by Cynthia Holloway. The book is excellent, a cross between TraderSF and MilSF, and very well written. However, the reader is pretty bad. I would rate her "barely adequate" (2 stars out of 5). She is slow, stilted, and doesn't do a good job of distinguishing voices, except sometimes adding in hokey accents. The reading does seem to get better by the end of the book, but that may just be that I was finally getting past it. IAC, I sincerely hope that she does a better job on the subsequent books in the series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #233
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I am listening to A Rage in Harlem read by Samuel L Jackson. I love Jackson as an actor, but must admit that several hours and his voice gets annoying.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #234
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
After listening to audiobooks for over ten years, I have come to realize the narrator is, for me, the most important factor. A good narrator can make almost any book enjoyable, but a poor narrator can wreck even a great book.

Duane
I'm sorry to say that this has just proven true for me. I've never, ever quit a book, but I couldn't finish even the first disc of WARRIOR CLASS by Dale Brown. I like Dale Brown's stuff, have read other books of his, but this audio book was just untenable for me. The narrator is Carson Andrews, and I have to add him to a short list of do-not-listen-to-no-matter-what.

YMMV, but I found his staccato delivery so abrasive that I found myself actively not listening as hard as I could . And the Russian accent? Yikes! Don't get me started!

Ah well, lots more where that one came from...now to go find them.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #235
Marrella
Cambrian crab

A bad narrator can definitely ruin a good book. For me, it is Tom Weiner - I find it unbearable to listen to his "sing song" voice.

Anyway, I just finished a book narrated by one of my very favorite narrators: Among Others by Jo Walton, read by Katherine Kellgren. This was one of my top five reads last year, and I loved the audiobook experience. The Welsh accent added another dimension to the story; I thought it was wonderful, though I can understand that it might put off other people.

I have now started Kronos by Jeremy Robinson. This is a podiobook audiobook, narrated by the author. I am not far enough into it to say anything about it.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #236
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by victauria View Post

Ah well, lots more where that one came from...now to go find them.
And I did! THE SERPENT'S TALE by Ariana Franklin, read by Kate Reading. She is a terrific narrator/voice actor and really does a great job at differentiating the characters, absolutely seamless reading, and an enjoyable quality to her voice.

I liked the story very much, too, as I had the first one (MISTRESS OF THE ART OF DEATH). There are a couple more in the series after THE SERPENT'S TALE.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...Serpent_s_Tale
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #237
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Finished listening to Kronos. It was good fun, though not really memorable. It's the story of a marine biologist who goes after a sea monster who has swallowed his daughter. There's some cryptozoology (if you like that kind of thing, I do) and a good monster. I'd rate it like a popcorn action movie - light entertainment, but sometimes that is just what I want.

Also finished listening to Blackout by Connie Willis. This is the second time I have listened to it (after reading the book early last year) and I still enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. Of course it is only half the story, which is continued in All Clear. I'll get to that one soon.

For the time being, I have started The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon, which features an autistic main character. I am enjoying it very much so far.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #238
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool oops

oops!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-21-2012 at 11:44 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #239
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
oops!
I haven't heard of that one. Is the narrator any good?

Still listening to The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch, Read by Dan Bittner (Scholastic Audiobooks). It's one of the weekly freebies being offered each week this summer by sync and mentioned in the Deals forum by melmac. I'm really enjoying this YA story about survival.
Spoiler:
Description:
In an America devastated by war and plague, the only way to survive is to keep moving.

In the aftermath of a war, America’s landscape has been ravaged and two-thirds of the population left dead from a vicious strain of influenza. Fifteen-year-old Stephen Quinn and his family were among the few that survived and became salvagers, roaming the country in search of material to trade. But when Stephen’s grandfather dies and his father falls into a coma after an accident, Stephen finds his way to Settler’s Landing, a community that seems too good to be true. Then Stephen meets strong, defiant, mischievous Jenny, who refuses to accept things as they are. And when they play a prank that goes horribly wrong, chaos erupts, and they find themselves in the midst of a battle that will change Settler’s Landing–and their lives–forever.

AudioFile Magazine Review:
“…Dan Bittner skillfully embodies the teen as tragedy strikes and Stephen must suddenly fend for himself…Each outburst, each emotional shutdown, each request for help is perfectly believable when presented in Bittner’s even but emotionally layered delivery…Bittner’s well-tempered narration suits both the action scenes and the moral conundrums that follow.”
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #240
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
For the time being, I have started The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon, which features an autistic main character. I am enjoying it very much so far.
I really, really liked this book, and I only bought it because it was Elizabeth Moon, and then almost didn't bother to listen to it when I realized what it was about. But I was short of things to listen to right then, started it, and got totally involved and engaged. An excellent book. I don't know enough to know how accurate it is, but it was certainly highly believable and "felt right". And the story and characters were compelling, and the reader excellent. Highly recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations