Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #10306
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Well that rules out most of my other guesses (John von Neumann, David Hilbert, Bernhard Riemann, and Kurt Godel) as I don't think any of them are English.

Maybe Andrew Wiles or Alan Turing?

Oh... Iam Stewart? (I like his books.)
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #10307
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Well that rules out most of my other guesses (John von Neumann, David Hilbert, Bernhard Riemann, and Kurt Godel) as I don't think any of them are English.

Maybe Andrew Wiles or Alan Turing?

Oh... Iam Stewart? (I like his books.)
No to all. No more clues today, to give later risers a chance at it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #10308
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well I know that Stephen Hawking copyrighted the number 326.

That's why any book published after 2005 doesn't have a page 326 (if it's long enough).

Is it something to do with that?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #10309
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well I know that Stephen Hawking copyrighted the number 326.

That's why any book published after 2005 doesn't have a page 326 (if it's long enough).

Is it something to do with that?
Very amusing .

John Venn? He developed the Venn Diagram, though I can't see how that would relate to toilet rolls...

(off to go photocopy some top secret documents)
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #10310
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am surprised! I thought this was a fairly well-known case. More clues tomorrow, and later tomorrow the answer if no-one gets it.
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #10311
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I remember him being a Knight of the realm.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #10312
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Names of mathematicians? The only one I know of is Mr. Plotkin, my geometry teacher from high school.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #10313
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I remember him being a Knight of the realm.
Yes, he was knighted in 1994. He's also known as a physicist and a philosopher.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #10314
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The thing he sued the toilet roll manufacturer over bears his name.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #10315
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hey, I'm gonna take a shot here... but only because you said "physicist and a philosopher."

Fritjof Capra? Author of one of my favorite books, 'The Tao of Physics.'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #10316
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Hey, I'm gonna take a shot here... but only because you said "physicist and a philosopher."

Fritjof Capra? Author of one of my favorite books, 'The Tao of Physics.'

Stitchawl
No, sorry.

The subject of the suit had important applications in crystallography, and was something thought to be impossible.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #10317
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mandelbrot?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #10318
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The thing he sued the toilet roll manufacturer over bears his name.
Charmin? sorry, couldn't resist ....

drawing a complete blank on this one

Crystallography, eh ... was he associated with the discovery of the structure of DNA?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #10319
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

OK, it's been over a day, and I've obviously stumped everyone with what I thought would be a quickie.

The answer is Sir Roger Penrose.

In 1997 he sued the Kimberley Clark Corporation over their use of a Penrose Tiling pattern on some of their quilted toilet paper.

Penrose tiling is a method of tiling the plane with an five-way rotational symmetry, which used to be thought impossible.

The three-dimensional equivalent has now been found in 'quasi-crystals' and other natural formations.

Would someone else like to post a question?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #10320
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

I forgot about him (obviously).

I've wanted to read his Road to Reality, but I decided to wait for an eBook version and one never came out.