Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
seanpaul
seanpaul began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Where to get ebooks for nook?

New Nook owner here, first ereader for me as well. I tried to use the search function to answer my questions but I just don't want to wade through 500+ topics to find the answers because they take some digging.

My questions are:

1. Besides Barnes and Noble, what other websites can I purchase and download ebooks to read on my Nook? I don't mind downloading them to my computer then drag/dropping them to my Nook but am not interested in having to change formats or strip drm or any of that at this point in time. I just was not able to find a book I wanted to read on B&N's site.

2. How does the library checkout thing work? Do I register on a site such as overdrive and download the book to my computer then the Nook or do physically visit my local library or library website to check books out? The latter portion of that question would depend on if my local library even has ebooks.

Thanks for any guidance and suggestions, I am just wondering where to get books from other sources when B&N does not have the book that I do actually want, thanks.
seanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
You can get e-books from almost anyone except Amazon. For buying Big Name e-books, some of the popular sites are Kobo, Sony, Borders, Books-A-Million, BooksOnBoard, ebooks.com, and Diesel eBooks. A search engine like Inkmesh or AddAll can help you find sites carrying the e-books you're looking for.

Other sites with e-books for sale, although not necessarily the Big Name books, are Baen (sci-fi/fantasy), Fictionwise, and Smashwords (direct from mostly unknown authors).

There are lots of sites with out-of-copyright free e-books. Those include Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks, BeBooks, and (quantity over quality) Google Books.

---

Most libraries require that you show up in person to pick up your card. You can use OverDrive's "library search" to find a library in your area that has e-books from OverDrive. In many states, you can get cards from any library in the state, but you'll probably have to show up physically to pick up the card.

For most independent e-book sellers and for OverDrive, you'll need Adobe Digital Editions (free) and an Adobe account to register it and your NOOK under. Sony has its own variant of ADE called Sony Reader Library that you need to use with your Adobe account to buy from Sony.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert