Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
perry59
perry59 began at the beginning.

Device: windows pc
mobi to epub loses links

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didnt find it with a cursory search.
I bought a kindle book which I want to read on my preferred reader (NOT kindle) so I brought the .azw into calibre using a particular plugin which automatically converted it into a mobi.
The mobi conversion was pretty good, with the exception of some weird characters (question marks inside diamond shape), I realize this is probably an issue with the plugin, not calibre.
However, when converting the mobi to epub (my preferred format), calibre cleaned up the weird characters and it looks real nice. BUT all the links are broken! I.e., all the links in the books printed TOC and in the generated TOC.
All kaput!
Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I'd really prefer to keep the epub format.
Thanks
perry59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry59 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, I didnt find it with a cursory search.
I bought a kindle book which I want to read on my preferred reader (NOT kindle) so I brought the .azw into calibre using a particular plugin which automatically converted it into a mobi.
The mobi conversion was pretty good, with the exception of some weird characters (question marks inside diamond shape), I realize this is probably an issue with the plugin, not calibre.
However, when converting the mobi to epub (my preferred format), calibre cleaned up the weird characters and it looks real nice. BUT all the links are broken! I.e., all the links in the books printed TOC and in the generated TOC.
All kaput!
Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I'd really prefer to keep the epub format.
Thanks
Questions inside Diamonds (squares...) are usually Missing Glyphs

This could be from using the (guessed if not specified) wrong character encoding
OR
The display font you are using does not contain those glyphs (a bare-bones font)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@perry59 - Any reason you didn't convert the AZW? directly to EPUB?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
perry59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@perry59 - Any reason you didn't convert the AZW? directly to EPUB?
BR
As soon as I imported the .azw into calibre, it showed up (converted?) as a mobi. Due to the drm removing plugin I assume.
Otherwise, yes, I would have just converted the azw to epub.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
perry59

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Questions inside Diamonds (squares...) are usually Missing Glyphs

This could be from using the (guessed if not specified) wrong character encoding
OR
The display font you are using does not contain those glyphs (a bare-bones font)
I'll look into that, thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry59 View Post
As soon as I imported the .azw into calibre, it
showed up (converted?) as a mobi. Due to the drm removing plugin I assume.
Otherwise, yes, I would have just converted the azw to epub.
Are you sure its the plugin doing the AZW->MOBI convert and not calibre?

See Preferences->Add Books->Automatically convert added books to the current output format, if its checked then try unchecking it.

The "current output format" is defined in Preferences->Behaviour->Preferred output format

Otherwise ask the PI developers why it produces a MOBI rather than a AZW.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
AZW is Mobi format! https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/AZW
The plugins just strip DRM and change the extension.

The EPUB equivalent is called AZW3 (or KF8) https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KF8
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
perry59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Are you sure its the plugin doing the AZW->MOBI convert and not calibre?

See Preferences->Add Books->Automatically convert added books to the current output format, if its checked then try unchecking it.

The "current output format" is defined in Preferences->Behaviour->Preferred output format

Otherwise ask the PI developers why it produces a MOBI rather than a AZW.

BR
pretty sure the plugin is doing it. My "automagically convert" was unchecked and my "preferred output" was epub. Tried again after checking "automatic", same thing.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
perry59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
AZW is Mobi format! https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/AZW
The plugins just strip DRM and change the extension.

The EPUB equivalent is called AZW3 (or KF8) https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KF8
I thought I read somewhere that azw IS the same as mobi, but with DRM.
so I am still losing all they hyperlinks going from mobi to epub, and that's a caliber thing!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
perry59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Trying to convert a mobi to an epub.
I get no errors during the conversion.
I have not changed any conversion settings from default.
I did acquire a conversion log, did not see any obvious problems there.
I did do a conversion while in debug mode which generated 4 directories "input", "parsed", "structure" and "processed". In each of these directories there is html corresponding to the book. When opening ANY of these html files all the links work! when opening the epub in my favored reader (book bazzar) no links (or toc) works!
I can upload some of this stuff if it is helpful.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open your epub in calibre's viewer.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
perry59

Quote:
Open your epub in calibre's viewer.

Well, the links worked in the calibre viewer!
Thats weird, I recently did another conversion of mobi->epub and its links worked in Book Bazaar, why not this one?

thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You'd have to ask the developers of Book Bazaar, but my gues is that they dont support spaces in filenames inside epub.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
perry59

Quote:
You'd have to ask the developers of Book Bazaar, but my gues is that they dont support spaces in filenames inside epub.
Not sure if that is it. I looked at the html debug output and the TOC url's look like this:
<div>
<blockquote><p class="calibre_123"><font face="ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std" color="rgb(0,0,0)">
<a href="#filepos109187">Chapter 3: Sketching with Splines</a>
</font></p></blockquote>
</div>
no spaces in the links.
I'll play with it some more but I may just have to settle for having a mobi in my collection.

Thanks