Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
A little update.

I deleted the YouTube app and re-installed it from the Google Play store. It now works with Chromecast. In fact, it worked so well that even though I didn't have the TV source set to the Chromecast,as soon as I tapped the icon in YouTube the TV auto switched to Chromecast and began to play the video. So it should also work with a rooted regular Kindle Fire.

Hurray!

Next, I'll try re-installing Netflix.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update 2.

Deleted and re-installed the Netflix app... twice. It turns out that when you re-install the app and sign in, you'll get a dialog box asking you if you agree to received notifications from Netflix in the upper right corner of the app window. I said "no" the first time and did not get the little Chromecast icon.

The second time, I said "yes" and low and behold, I have a Chromecast icon and am now watching 30 Rock. It was a little slow to load but it looks really good.

So, again I can confirm that a rooted Kindle Fire HD can use Chromecast (and probably the regular Kindle Fire when rooted).

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-03-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I managed to control my chromecast with the Fire by running Splashtop. Your way sounds better. Any disappointments since rooting? Can you still access books and apps you purchased on the Amazon Appstore for Android? Can you watch Prime?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I managed to control my chromecast with the Fire by running Splashtop. Your way sounds better. Any disappointments since rooting? Can you still access books and apps you purchased on the Amazon Appstore for Android? Can you watch Prime?
Yes, everything that was available before is still available (including Prime) plus access to Google Play.

The only thing I gave up on was using an alternate launcher. It became a pain and caused my Fire to be glitchy sometimes. So, I'm back to the hideous carousel.

I really only use the Fire for video content, so I'm pretty happy being able to use it with Chromecast.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #35
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, sounds great. Can you point me to the files and information I need to do this? I'm already a little tingly.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Well, sounds great. Can you point me to the files and information I need to do this? I'm already a little tingly.

I always look for rooting instructions over on the XDA forums. I don't know if you have a 1st or 2nd gen Kindle Fire but look through this forum for a start (BTW, I only root not rom my Fires):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1638452

There is also a company that has pay software ($20) that many feel is easier than manually rooting. I've never used the software but it is what a lot of nook users use.

http://www.n2aos.com/
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #37
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes, everything that was available before is still available (including Prime) plus access to Google Play.

The only thing I gave up on was using an alternate launcher. It became a pain and caused my Fire to be glitchy sometimes. So, I'm back to the hideous carousel.

I really only use the Fire for video content, so I'm pretty happy being able to use it with Chromecast.
That all sounds very promising.

As for alternate launchers, I recommend Nova. It has been rock-solid for me for many months. I too root-not-ROM my KFHD.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #38
wizwor
Wizard

I have managed to root and install some google apps using the kfu and can control youtube and netflix. Thanks for your help with that.

I'd like to be able to tab-cast from the fire, but I guess that would require a rom?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That all sounds very promising.

As for alternate launchers, I recommend Nova. It has been rock-solid for me for many months. I too root-not-ROM my KFHD.
Nova was my launcher.

I'm good though. As I said, I really only use the Fire for video, so using the carousel is not really a big deal.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #40
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I have managed to root and install some google apps using the kfu and can control youtube and netflix. Thanks for your help with that.

I'd like to be able to tab-cast from the fire, but I guess that would require a rom?
Yay! on the rooting.

Not sure on the tab-casting. Haven't tried that yet.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #41
wizwor
Wizard

Looks like tab casting is windows only right now.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Looks like tab casting is windows only right now.
Hmm, I watched a video on YouTube (via the Chromecast) that showed a Mac working as well as a Kindle Fire. I'm not embedding the link because it's a 15 minute video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SR0HEIVBL4
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #43
wizwor
Wizard

I think the tab was a samsung galaxy not a kindle. The mac did tab cast, but the other devices were streaming from an app -- netflix or youtube.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #44
wizwor
Wizard

BTW, cheech and chong had no idea what they were doing. Tab casting streams the selected tab to the device. When you move to a new tab, the device continues to present the selected tab. This is a feature. Last night, for instance, I started Playon in a tab, started hulu streaming, started tab casting, maximized the tab, then alt-tabbed to another tab. The movie continues to stream full screen while I used my PC for something else.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I think the tab was a samsung galaxy not a kindle. The mac did tab cast, but the other devices were streaming from an app -- netflix or youtube.
It was a 8.9 inch Fire HD. Notice the carousel. Plus the description:

Quote:
Published on Jul 29, 2013
Google's new chromecast tested with the Kindle Fire, MacBook Pro, Netbook, iPhone, and Galaxy S4. For the most part it works good.