Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Getting Kindle book from library to Kindle for PC

I figure there's got to be a topic in here somewhere about getting library books WITHOUT a USB cable, but my search isn't finding it... So, if I'm in the wrong place, let me know.

I just checked out a book in Kindle format from the public library. And got all the way over to Amazon. Where it told me I MUST use a USB cable to download the book... MY KINDLE APPLICATION IS ON THE PC. There IS no USB. So, HOW do I get the book to my Kindle application?

I contacted Amazon customer support. And after an astonishingly long wait, I was told in broken English that "You CANNOT get the book onto your Kindle application on your PC. You must PURCHASE a Kindle device."

Oh... I requested to be transferred to someone with (hopefully) more knowledge of how to perform this operation, and was refused.

Did I miss a button or something, or has the publisher stupidity infected Amazon, too?
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
As far as I know you do have to have a kindle device to use the library lending features, but I thought that was with Amazon's lending features, I didn't know that was also the case with public library lending options. But either way if you are trying to download it to K4PC you shouldn't need a usb cable since it is software on the pc. Where did you borrow it from, if a library outside of Amazon, they should have instructions on how to download it to your pc, I think the Amazon rep that you spoke to was referring to Amazon's Prime lending feature, which you do have to have a kindle for.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Well, the book has now disappeared completely... Not in my cart, not in my list. I presume it took too long to try to get the thing to download and it got dumped back into the library......

BUT, right next to the "Get for Kindle" on the book it says:

Kindles and free Kindle apps via USB only

Which "free Kindle apps" I PRESUME means Kindle for PC...

What am I missing?
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just download the book to your PC like it wants you to do. Then forget about that downloaded book... it will only work on a Kindle device anyway.

Now open Kindle for PC and go to your Archive and locate the library book. Double-click it... and when it's done downloading, start reading it.

Granted... I do have a Kindle device, but my library loans have always been available in my Kindle For PC archive. And I've downloaded several to the app that way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
According to OverDrive, you don't need an actual Kindle. Kindle apps will also work.

How to borrow Kindle Books from your library
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
According to OverDrive, you don't need an actual Kindle. Kindle apps will also work.

How to borrow Kindle Books from your library
The PITA with Penguin books is that you must have a Kindle device to complete the checkout process. All the other options are grayed out. Once you've sent the file to your computer for use in that device, it's in the archive and be downloaded wirelessly to any app/device (as DD mentioned).
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The PITA with Penguin books is that you must have a Kindle device to complete the checkout process. All the other options are grayed out. Once you've sent the file to your computer for use in that device, it's in the archive and be downloaded wirelessly to any app/device (as DD mentioned).
Penguin has a different OverDrive process than the rest? That's good to know. Is this before or after you get the Amazon portion of the process?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Penguin has a different OverDrive process than the rest? That's good to know. Is this before or after you get the Amazon portion of the process?
The OD portion only mentions the "USB Only" part. It's once you get into the Amazon part that you discover that "USB Only" means that apps won't work. You've checked out the book without being able to read it. I don't believe the book will appear the archive until after you've sent the book to your PC with DRM for an actual Kindle. No device, you're stuck.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Just download the book to your PC like it wants you to do. Then forget about that downloaded book... it will only work on a Kindle device anyway.

Now open Kindle for PC and go to your Archive and locate the library book. Double-click it... and when it's done downloading, start reading it.

Granted... I do have a Kindle device, but my library loans have always been available in my Kindle For PC archive. And I've downloaded several to the app that way.
Really, none of my library loans has ever shown up in my archives on my k4pc. Are these Amazon Prime library loans??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Really, none of my library loans has ever shown up in my archives on my k4pc. Are these Amazon Prime library loans??
No, just your average overdrive loans. But wait a minute, I may be remembering incorrectly... it's been a while. Perhaps I had to go to my Amazon purchases page (in my Amazon account) and choose to send it one of my K4(PC|MAC) apps from there. I don't have any current loans to check, but I can probably find something quick to try it with if that would help anyone. I know I've gotten OD loans into my K4* app fairly easily several times (before I gave up on finding anything in my library's ebook consortium worth borrowing, that is).

UPDATE: I just checked. After downloading the file for USB transfer, the OD Library ebook immediately showed up in my K4PC archive without having to do anything special.

And @TimW: I get an option to send the library book wirelessly to any of my apps or devices (obviously that won't work for the Kindle2 device) before I even select the "Transfer via computer option." Are you saying those options are all greyed-out if you don't own a Kindle device? After I select the "Transfer via computer option" all of the options are indeed greyed out except for my Kindle device... but that's the way the "Transfer via computer" process has always worked.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The OD portion only mentions the "USB Only" part. It's once you get into the Amazon part that you discover that "USB Only" means that apps won't work. You've checked out the book without being able to read it. I don't believe the book will appear the archive until after you've sent the book to your PC with DRM for an actual Kindle. No device, you're stuck.
Correct. I just tried it again and stopped after I hit the "Get library book" (Deliver to: Transfer via Computer) button. Then I waited. The book never appeared anywhere. So I waited a bit longer to be sure. Then I finally hit the "Continue" (Deliver to: my kindle) button and the book was instantly sent to my archives; where it's now available to be read on my K3 and all Kindle apps.

You need an actual Kindle on your account or you'll never see the book.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried it again and stopped after I hit the "Get library book" (Deliver to: Transfer via Computer) button.
There were no options at that point other than "Deliver to:Transfer via Computer"?
(I know it says you have to use that method, but humor me )
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
And @TimW: I get an option to send the library book wirelessly to any of my apps or devices (obviously that won't work for the Kindle2 device) before I even select the "Transfer via computer option." Are you saying those options are all greyed-out if you don't own a Kindle device? After I select the "Transfer via computer option." all of the options are indeed greyed out except for my Kindle device... but that's the way the "Transfer via computer" process has always worked.
My steps:

After being sent to Amazon, my only choice in the "deliver to" menu is: "Transfer via Computer"; everything else is greyed out. I hit the "Get library book" button and am sent to another page.

It says: "xxx, please choose which Kindle you plan to transfer your title to via USB:" My only choice in the "deliver to" menu this time is my Kindle 3; all of my Kindle apps are greyed out.

I hit the "Continue" button and a download popup appears. I ignore it, because the book has already been sent to my archives; where it's available for my K3 and all of my Kindle apps.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
There were no options at that point other than "Deliver to:Transfer via Computer"?
(I know it says you have to use that method, but humor me )
Everything else is greyed out.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
After being sent to Amazon, my only choice in the "deliver to" menu is: "Transfer via Computer"; everything else is greyed out. I hit the "Get library book" button and am sent to another page.
Hmm... immediately after I get sent to Amazon... along with the "Transfer via Computer" option, all of my apps are also available (not greyed out) in the combo box.

But once I click the "Get library book" button (leaving the "Transfer via Computer" option selected), my experience is then identical to yours:
Quote:
It says: "xxx, please choose which Kindle you plan to transfer your title to via USB:" My only choice in the "deliver to" menu this time is my Kindle 3; all of my Kindle apps are greyed out.
Strange. I wonder why the difference?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2012 at 01:31 PM.