Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
XRaySpeX
XRaySpeX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Question Does Calibre Require Silverlight?

On Windows, does Calibre require Microsoft Silverlight to be installed?

If so, what does it need it for?

I have an idea that when I installed Calibre, it also installed Silverlight, for which I have no other need.
XRaySpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaySpeX View Post
On Windows, does Calibre require Microsoft Silverlight to be installed?

If so, what does it need it for?

I have an idea that when I installed Calibre, it also installed Silverlight, for which I have no other need.
No way!
and No way Calibre installed Silverlight

M$ probably slid it in an Update or you installed some other package that had a 'dependency'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
XRaySpeX

Thumbs up

OK, Thanks!

That eliminates Calibre. It must have been some other package's dependency; I just can't think which. I always refuse Windows Update's offer of Silverlight.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK, Thanks!

That eliminates Calibre. It must have been some other package's dependency; I just can't think which. I always refuse Windows Update's offer of Silverlight.
Do you use IE
An update may have 'forced' Silverlight down your throat

(FF fan here )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
XRaySpeX

I do use IE but it's not that.

There was some package recently that insisted on installing Silverlight. I thought it was Calibre, hence asking here, but it is obviously not. Back to the drawing board!
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why dont you just uninstall it and see what stops working
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
XRaySpeX

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
OK, Thanks!

I never saw reference to Silverlight until I tried to e-file tax returns at the new Free File Fillable Forms site. But that's for the US IRS. After all the fuss, it turns out they won't accept returns from foreign addresses, but I guess I have Silverlight on my system. No clue what it's for.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote