Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Problem installing 0.7.45

Hi, during installation of version 0.7.45 while the installer is "copying new files" I get an error message stating:

Error writing to file: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\DLLs\IM_MOD_RL_tile_.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory. With the options of: Retry and Cancel.

Retry just loops back with the same error message and cancel of course, rolls back to previous installation. I've never had a problem with previous upgrades. I am running windows XP. I have tried rebooting and re-downloading the new version. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help and for a great program.

David.
davtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just looked at that file (and the ones with the same naming style) on my XP SP3 system.

They were flagged Read Only (I have Admin rights).

Go in to the folder( C:\Program Files\Calibre2\DLLs): Select all Files: Properties:
Make the Read Only box go blank: APPLY

See if that helps.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ducks, thanks for your help, I tried that and the message popped up that that file:

C:\Program Files\Calibre2\DLLs\IM_MOD_RL_tile_.dll. is corrupt and unreadable. With the options of ignore, ignore all, retry and cancel.

I really don't know what to do. Thanks again for your help.

David.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davtay View Post
The ducks, thanks for your help, I tried that and the message popped up that that file:

C:\Program Files\Calibre2\DLLs\IM_MOD_RL_tile_.dll. is corrupt and unreadable. With the options of ignore, ignore all, retry and cancel.

I really don't know what to do. Thanks again for your help.

David.
You might ry one of the Calibre alternate sources linked on the (for your OS) Calibre Download page.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
davtay
The Continental

theducks, I must be missing it, because I cannot seem to find alternate sources on the page to download calibre for windows. I see a link for previous versions. Sorry to be so much trouble.

David.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
uninstall calibre, delete c:\Program files\calibre2 then re-install calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
davtay
The Continental

Thanks Kovid. Will I essentially be starting from scratch? Not a problem, just need to re-add my plugins and libraries. Correct?

David.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
davtay
The Continental

Kovid, BTW, thanks to you and the development team and any of the helpful people who are on this site, for an invaluable program. I use Calibre daily and it makes my Kindle and whole book reading experience greater than I ever thought possible.

David.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No you wont lose anything by uninstalling and re-installing
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
davtay
The Continental

Kovid, I have done what you said, except when I try to delete the Calibre2 folder everything goes except the one file above. It keeps saying it is corrupt and unreadable.
Any ideas how to force it to be deleted?

David.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by davtay View Post
Kovid, I have done what you said, except when I try to delete the Calibre2 folder everything goes except the one file above. It keeps saying it is corrupt and unreadable.
Any ideas how to force it to be deleted?

David.
Run you disk checking/repair (chkdsk.exe?) program. This appears to be a filesystem error.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
davtay
The Continental

Yes, I ran the disk checking/repair program. Now it is letting me delete the file. Thanks again to you and Kovid for all of your help.

David.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Windows has an annoying habit of sometimes locking files that it's no longer using. While the system thinks a file is still in use, it won't let you do anything to the file.

There's a small free program called Unlocker which works great to let you kill whatever process is still hanging onto a file and then delete it, move it, whatever you want. If you're still having problems, you might try it. I have it always installed on all my systems, it's that handy.

If you reboot, that file shouldn't be in use though, unless you have some odd setup that's telling Calibre to start whenever you start Windows. Or if nothing else, boot up into safe mode and you should be able to delete the file that way.

Edit: OP snuck in a post while I was typing that it's fixed now, but leaving this info up in case it helps anyone else. Unlocker is really a handy program to have.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-13-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
davtay
The Continental

Thanks Ripplinger, I will get the program. Sounds like it can be very useful.

David.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
don1011
Enthusiast
don1011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem installing 0.7.45

When i install a new version , I have a message like this:

The file C\ Documents and settings\don\my documents/download/ is not a valid installation package for the product calibre. Try to find the installation package calibre 7.38.msi in a folder in witch you can install calibre,

I deinstalled calibre and delete program files/calibre2 and all the registry items relating to calibre. I even try to re-intalled calibre 7.38 but always the same message.
don1011 is offline   Reply With Quote