Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
I'm sorry for not giving the detailed instructions.

1) if on the internal memory there is only system but no config in system just create an empty folder called config.
2) open notepad and copy, paste the line mentioned above and save it as extensions.cfg on the system/config folder

This is not a hack! No poterm or other funny stuff. This is a completly independent application for your pocketbook. Keep me updated how you're getting on and don't hesitate if something still does not make sense.
Hi review,
I am afraid I get an error message: "Cannot start programme".
I followed your instructions, put the app in the system/bin directory, and amended the extensions.cfg file. When I long press on your trial djvu file i do get the option to choose between your app and the standard viewer, but when selecting your app I get the error message. Might it be because I am still on the December version of the 2.0.4? If so, do not bother, I will update my firmware.

Thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
anyone having issues on December 2.0.4?

Hi Paola,
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties. Initially I would have said that the firmware shouldn't really matter. So it would be helpful to know from others who are running on the older firmware if they are having the same issues as Paola.
At the top of my head I can't think of anything which would explain this. Will keep you posted when I have an idea.
Sorry.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
Great job, review!
I wonder if users of other reader could benefit from it. Do you consider making your code open source?
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Hi Qxr,
I'm glad that people are interested in bringing my idea a step further. So here is what I've done:

1) I got djvulibre from here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/lucid/djvulibre with all dependecies
2) then the pocketbook djviewer from here http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.n...urcecode.shtml

My idea for the improved contrast for ebook readers is in src/main.c of the djviewer. Namely NOT to render the page in the colour mode but in either black/white or foreground. All this, however is already completely developed in the djvulibre library. So the change in the source code was literally just the line which mode should be used for rendering.
The thing which kept me most occupied were compilation errors since the Makefiles didn't quite work (there is no official SDK there yet for the newer pocketbook).
However, I'm planning of adding quite a few number of improvements to this viewer now, since I got it to the stage that it nicely cross-compiles on my PC.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
How to get it to work in new firmware 2.04

Create "extensions.cfg" in your PROFILE folder :

\system\profiles\default\config\

Now it works like a charm
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
review
Addict

@paola: do you use profiles?

@osowiecki: thanks a lot for pointing this out. Now, when you said the magic word profiles I remember that one user had problems adjusting fbreader180 to his needs. ... Could you please let us know which version you use? 903, 902? and which firmware 2.0.4 from December or January?

Many thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Re

PB Pro 903 - Firmware 2.04 - January
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@paola: do you use profiles?
review, many thanks, problem solved: I had a stupid typo in the file name!
works like a charm!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #24
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
@review

I did as you instruct and work excellent. The test page can be seen.

My questions are: It is better to take PDF files and converted to DJVU format?

Is there a book site that can I download DJVU files?

All my library now is epub, pdf, chm, doc.

Again works excellent

My Pb902 FW 2.04, january

Quote:
Originally Posted by osowiecki View Post
Create "extensions.cfg" in your PROFILE folder :

\system\profiles\default\config\

Now it works like a charm
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #25
review
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
My questions are: It is better to take PDF files and converted to DJVU format?
OK, a little rant:

PDF files are containers. They can virtually store anything.
If I scan a book at a decent page resolution (200-400) the tiff images would be extremely large. One A4 page would be 26 MB if scanned at 300dpi and stored uncompressed as tiff. So all pdf creators are using ways to reduce the filesize (because this is how people measure the efficiency of the program). Some reduce the colour space and reduce the resolution etc. but they still contain just plain pictures. Some do OCR and put the text layer as a invisible layer on top of the pictures so that you can effectively search in those files.
If however, the pdf files was created by "printing" from a word document or webpage or something like this the content is transmitted in an abstract way: e.g. the plain text and the font and the position is transmitted to the pdf program. Those pdf files are very, very small as they primarily contain only the plain text and not a single image. The used fonts can even be "embedded" into this file so that the pdf file will look on every computer the same.

So, those two pdf files mentioned above have in itself no a lot in common with eachother. It just so happens that both are called pdf.

Now, in very general terms I would say the following: if the document was scanned from a book and the file is available both as pdf and djvu I usually tend to use the djvu file (also, you will notice on the ebook reader it will be so much faster, and the dictionary will work etc). The file size of both files will be about in the same order of magnitude but much, much smaller than the uncompressed files. So 200 pages of A5 size scanned at 300dpi would be around 2.6 GB of uncompressed files. The pdf creator might reduce the filesize by a factor of 100-150 to something like 20 MB. The djvu file would be something like this as well. However, it might be 30 MB, which is still significantly compressed compared to the original filesize of 2.6 GB. However, the djvu file might have superior results compared to the pdf.

Now coming to your original question: if the book is scanned and you have it only as pdf, should you convert it?
In general terms: I wouldn't convert it. Sure, you can try it. Go to http://any2djvu.djvuzone.org/ and upload your pdf and check the result. But from my little rant above you will know that in order to store it at a small size pdf the images had to be compressed and modified significantly. You shouldn't expect that any converter can make something "bad" good. You have to go a step back to the original uncompressed files and convert those to djvu. Then you can compare the difference between the djvu file and the pdf file.

So, in summary for
  • converting pdf to djvu: Don't do it. The quality of a highly compressed pdf as input file for djvu wouldn't lead to great results for the djvu file.
  • if you scan a book and you have the uncompressed original files, don't use a pdf converter to store that book but use a djvu converter. The result would be far superior at a similar file size
  • if the book is not scanned but comes from another application use pdf as file format

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
Is there a book site that can I download DJVU files?
All djvu files I have on my computer are either downloaded from http://www.archive.org/details/texts
or created by me. If you want to find djvu files via google just add the following magic words to your search:
ext:djvu
All results will be djvu files.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #26
paola
Wizard

Quote:
All djvu files I have on my computer are either downloaded from http://www.archive.org/details/texts
or created by me. If you want to find djvu files via google just add the following magic words to your search:
ext:djvu
All results will be djvu files.
thanks - and for (not many) classics, another site is this one:
http://www.global-language.com/djvueds/
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
review
Addict

Toggling the rendering mode during reading time

During the weekend I read a few comments on the russian discussion forum. There it was discussed if my changes should make their way into the official firmware. However, some users rightly pointed out that my version didn't make the pocketbook djvu viewer obsolete, because if you display the pages in black and white you will loose all the images of your whole document, because the images belong to the background layer.

So I thought that is quite a valid point and I was looking into taking those comments on board.

The result is a new version (djviewer-both) which allows now the user to select "on the fly" what should be displayed. So you can select from full grayscale (photo quality), black/white or foreground. The foreground is a layer of the djvu file which also doesn't contain the images but which will display the text with the full grayscale in which it was scanned. Then the text might have a little less contrast but it might be easier on the eye (although this is probably personal preference).
Further I added some code so that the program stores for each file the last display mode so if you close the book and reopen it, it will use the last display mode you used.

For me (personally) this means now that the pocketbook djviewer has become obsolete as my version now has all the functionality of the old version and adds some features which can be activated during reading time.

Installation:
1) download and unzip djviewer-both.zip
2) place djviewer-both.app into system/bin
3) modify extensions.cfg (in system/config/ or system/profiles/.../config/ if you're using profiles) to reflect your preferences.

Using it:
1) open the context menu to select the djviewer-both (or make it the default)
2) I've added the functionality for selecting the display mode to the zoom menu. So you press the round button to get the quick menu then you go to zoom and then select the symbol on the far right. This will activate the next display mode in the list.

The order of display modes is grayscale -> black/white -> foreground -> grayscale. So if you want to go from grayscale to the foreground layer you select twice in the zoom menu the "toggle render mode" option.

EDIT:

Achtung, dies ist nicht die aktuelle Version! Diese ist bereits veraltet. Link zu neuester Version im ersten post.
Attention, this is not the most recent version. Please see first post in this thread for a link to the most recent version.
Внимание. Эта версия старого. Не загружайте его. Используйте ссылку в пост № 1

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=1
Attached Files
File Type: zip djviewer-both.zip (566.0 KB, 417 views)

Last edited by review; 02-09-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #28
jsmith65
jsmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902, Nook
How spectacular! After cycling around, I don't know which mode I am in, but it does not matter as long as I have the best mode for what I am reading. Besides, great icons!
jsmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #29
Dodo
Dodo is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Will this work on PB-301+? If not, is there any chance that someone could port this to the PB-301+?
Dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
review
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
Will this work on PB-301+? If not, is there any chance that someone could port this to the PB-301+?
Hi Dodo,
Unfortunately, this program won't work directly on the older series. However, I can say that Pocketbook seems to be seriously interested in taking my changes on board and it very well may include the port back to the older models.

I'm just in the process of preparing the patches to publish them.

So there is some room for hope. Especially for the models before 60x and 90x.