Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Is it usual for internal storage to be empty? I can see the SD card with no problem, but not the internal filesystem.
It's different "internal storage" - actually the contents of /home directory of the rootfs, not the separate partition which is "internal storage" of Hanlin firmware. Nobody had the time and incentive to fix it yet, though it should be easy.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #17
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
In addition to the problem with not seeing internal memory, I am unable to get my BeBook to connect to my PC. From what I have seen so far, I very much like the OI system. But it is a problem that I can't get my books from internal memory to SD card. For now will reflash to the BeBook firmware, then reinstall OI.

Karen
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
Just installed OI for the first time, but I had to move back to the jan snapshot because I could not see the files in internal storage. Apart from that, I like it very much, especially the flexibility it provides with font sizes, margins etc. So much better than the BeBook firmware. Since I can't program for these type of devices I decided to show my support by doing a small donation to the project.

A few things I miss from the original bebook fw though:
- fast boot
- ability to lock screen by clicking the off button
- ability to shut down by holdinf the off button

Are there any workarounds for those issues?

Last edited by bigmoney; 02-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

The workarounds are called "go ahead and fix/implement it"
Old 02-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
socalpimp
socalpimp began at the beginning.

Device: prs505(broken), Bebook
a little grumpy?
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #21
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpimp View Post
a little grumpy?

Hey, an open source project is a group effort, so it is perfectly reasonable to ask someone who wants something special to implement it themselves and submit it to the project. Submitting bug reports to the ticket system is helpful for everybody concerned, but asking for a free ride deserves the reply that dottedmag gave, IMHO.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #22
bigmoney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hey, an open source project is a group effort, so it is perfectly reasonable to ask someone who wants something special to implement it themselves and submit it to the project. Submitting bug reports to the ticket system is helpful for everybody concerned, but asking for a free ride deserves the reply that dottedmag gave, IMHO.
First, I didn't find dottedmag's answer that grumpy, just a bit sarcastic, but I am fine with that, I can take it (I've been using OSS for many years now, enough to develop a thick skin for that).

Regarding Dave's answer, not so sure what he meant by free ride. I was not asking "something special", and I at least tried to be polite and contribute the way I can (since I can't code for the project, I thought the team would appreciate to see some money showing up in their paypal account). I didn't demand a fix, saying the software is crap without those features or anything of that sort. I just politely asked for a workaround. Who knows, maybe someone could say "hey, you can get a much faster boot by doing this and that" or "you can lock the screen by pressing this and that button as well". I was just wondering. There's no such info in the user guide but who knows, documentation in OSS projects may be out of date (and I can help with that, sure). I am new to OI and was just trying to get some info.

This mentality of "this is open source, implement it yourself or shut up" is too old, that is not what open source is about, and supporters of OSS should actually work hard to clear that image from public perception, because that is the kind of FUD that companies like Microsoft use against OSS.

Anyway, I will skip this forum and use the bug tracker instead, so people don't call it a free ride anymore.

Last edited by bigmoney; 02-08-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #23
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

We can try to keep documentation up-to-date. So: no workarounds/hacks exist yet for the functionality you asked for. There is going under-the-hood reconstrution, we'll return to user-visible changes as soon as it finishes.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #24
bigmoney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
We can try to keep documentation up-to-date. So: no workarounds/hacks exist yet for the functionality you asked for. There is going under-the-hood reconstrution, we'll return to user-visible changes as soon as it finishes.
Cool, thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #25
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Oops: "we can try" should be read as "we try"
Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #26
bigmoney
Connoisseur

Regarding the boot time, one workaround would be to leave the device always on, I know that the reader does not spend energy when it's not turning pages. Is that really OK to leave the device always on? Does the screen "burn", or the hardware lasts less if we do so?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
I was not asking "something special", and I at least tried to be polite and contribute the way I can (since I can't code for the project, I thought the team would appreciate to see some money showing up in their paypal account). I didn't say I was demanding a fix, saying the software is crap without those features or anything (that would deserve the kind of answer I got),
As you may have guessed by now, that seems to be a matter of opinion.

Quote:
I just politely asked for a workaround.
"Workaround" is a term used for bugs, and not for missing desired features.

Quote:
Who knows, maybe someone could say "hey, you can get a much faster boot by doing this and that" or "you can lock the screen by pressing this and that button as well". I was just wondering. There's no such info in the user guide but who knows, documentation in OSS projects may be out of date (and I can help with that, sure). I am new to OI and was just trying to get some info.
I am very sorry if you took my comment as being too harsh. I was just trying to see things from the developers point of view. I think that most developers are working on the OpenInkPot project in their "free" time, and it seems some people disregard that when asking for features that may not be desired by the user community as a whole. If you read the developers section on the OpenInkPot web site, you can see some of your questions were already under consideration there, and are being prioritized for future releases.
http://openinkpot.org/report

As for slow boot time, just do not shut down, and then you do not have to wait for the boot time. As an added plus, your battery will also last longer. I think that I recall that your other "issues" are already in the ticket system and development schedule.

Quote:
Might be because English is not my first language, but what do you mean with "asking for a free ride" exactly?
Again, I am sorry that may have sounded too harsh. It simply means asking for something without offering anything in return. I am sure that all of us who care about OpenInkPot have made financial contributions, but the stated purpose of financial contributions is to support new new hardware, so IMHO financial contributions do not entitle us to ask the developers for new features outside the bug reporting system.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #28
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Regarding the boot time, one workaround would be to leave the device always on, I know that the reader does not spend energy when it's not turning pages. Is that really OK to leave the device always on? Does the screen "burn", or the hardware lasts less if we do so?
Yes, it really is OK to leave the reader always on. The boot process probably expends more energy than reading several hundred pages. Another thing that will save energy is to transfer your current reading projects into the internal memory, as reading from the SD card is also quite energy intensive.

"Screen burn in" applies more to CRT and plasma displays than any other display technology. eInk does not have any similar physical mechanism to cause permanent and unrepairable image retention like CRT and plasma displays have. The eInk display does sometimes leave some after image ghost after a high contrast image has been displayed, but that is just some of the ink particles not being fully rotated. That after image is not permanent, and will disappear with further screen refreshes.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #29
bigmoney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
"Workaround" is a term used for bugs, and not for missing desired features.
In the software projects I work on we use the term for both cases, but who knows, may be different from community to community.

So for instance an user might ask me "how do I get this report exported to Excel" and I might tell him "we do not support Excel export but you could export it to CSV and then import in Excel". So it is a workaround, even though the lack of Excel export is not a bug in our system.

A workaround in my view is an alternative way to avoid an issue. An issue may be a bug, a missing feature, or anything in between (the line between a bug and a missing feature is not always very clear, anyway).

Last edited by bigmoney; 02-08-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #30
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Is that really OK to leave the device always on?
Yes. I personally only turn device off to reflash it.

[/QUOTE]Does the screen "burn", or the hardware lasts less if we do so?[/QUOTE]

No.