Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
Icon Replacement Switcher [Windows Only]

I've been investigating ways to automate the switching in and out, of different Icon Replacement Sets for the Calibre UI, because I like to fiddle with such things and I'd rather spend 10's of hours on automating, than spending 1 minute hundreds of times.

Secondly, I thought it might be a help to those who are looking for an easy-ish one-in-all solution and don't quite know how to go about it.

Here's the rub; I've figured out how to do it on Windows only, but haven't got the foggiest on how to do likewise for Mac or Linux. Sorry Mac and Linux users

If this sounds interesting to you..... yes, you!.... I'd like to ask for someone quite knowledgeable with the workings of Calibre to help me by testing my solution: Does the package you receive from me to install on your box work as expected? Does the solution work? Are there any flaws in the execution? Anything that could be achieved in a smarter, better way?

Pls respond in this thread.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
I've been investigating ways to automate the switching in and out, of different Icon Replacement Sets for the Calibre UI, because I like to fiddle with such things and I'd rather spend 10's of hours on automating, than spending 1 minute hundreds of times.

Secondly, I thought it might be a help to those who are looking for an easy-ish one-in-all solution and don't quite know how to go about it.

Here's the rub; I've figured out how to do it on Windows only, but haven't got the foggiest on how to do likewise for Mac or Linux. Sorry Mac and Linux users

If this sounds interesting to you..... yes, you!.... I'd like to ask for someone quite knowledgeable with the workings of Calibre to help me by testing my solution: Does the package you receive from me to install on your box work as expected? Does the solution work? Are there any flaws in the execution? Anything that could be achieved in a smarter, better way?

Pls respond in this thread.
It is really very simple (for Calibre: all OS versions)
You put the 'alternate' icons into the configuration folder Resources/Imagss
The icons need to use the same names as the standard ones
You do not need a full set. Those that exist there will be used, otherwise the default set will be drawn from
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
I think I've got the situation you describe theducks, covered:

If one would want to change icons on a regular basis, like this week I want the black icon set, next week the blue one, then the square one and after that the round one, and then there's a new one I'd want to check out, all this can be done by clicking the switcher.exe, select the set, restart Calibre and that's it.

But how about replacing icons for the plugins. Where do you put those so they don't get rewritten when the plugin is updated?
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
I think I've got the situation you describe theducks, covered:

But how about replacing icons for the plugins. Where do you put those so they don't get rewritten when the plugin is updated?
There is always a gotcha
Since PI are a per user_installation, Icons have no other place to live that is proof against replacement.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You could programmatically unzip the plugins in turn, swap out the icons, and then use
Code:
calibre-customize.exe -b C:\path\to\working\dir\plugin-name\
to reinstall them.

Plugin updates should not radically change the structure.

Also, your exe can call

Code:
calibre --shutdown-running-calibre
calibre
to automatically restart calibre.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-27-2015 at 08:41 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert