Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #46
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rivera View Post
The positive would have to be the instant gratification aspect - being able to grab books as soon as they come out from the comfort of home.

The negative would be actually missing the physical books. Now the question becomes what do I do with all the paperbacks and hardcovers I've amassed over the years.
I have given away several thousand since I got my Kindle. More to go.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #47
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rivera View Post
Now the question becomes what do I do with all the paperbacks and hardcovers I've amassed over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I have given away several thousand since I got my Kindle. More to go.
First I gave mine to the hospitals and library. Last year I sold them on the internet. While I didn't make a fortune, I was surprised when I ended up with 150€ for one cardboard box of books.

Right now I have gathered another cardboard box for nearly 100€ to be sold.

The only books I keep now are those which I am sure I will read again. You might be surprised how few these are.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #48
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
First I gave mine to the hospitals and library. Last year I sold them on the internet. While I didn't make a fortune, I was surprised when I ended up with 150€ for one cardboard box of books.
How did you sell them? eBay? Amazon?

The cool thing about selling them, is that you know that the person who gets them actually wants them. I have gotten rid of books that I wouldn't mind seeing end up in the landfill, but for books I'm actually fond of, selling them is a way to place them in good homes. I sold a bunch of used motorcycle parts on eBay under that philosophy. Frankly the $800 or so that I got for the parts was not really worth all the hours that I spend photographing, writing the auctions, answering dumb questions, scrounging boxes, packing and shipping, and dealing with little tiny payments. But I felt good knowing that while my beloved bike was gone, it was an organ donor that brought life to all those other people's beloved bikes. Without that to get me motivated, I probably never would have gotten around to shifting the dead bike out of my workshop.

So, maybe the books can be shifted, in similar fashion.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #49
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Even better! I used a service like this*: http://www.cash4books.net/ You don't get much per book, but it is convinient to use. You only register your ISBN number and it will tell you how much you get per book. DON'T LOOK AT THE MONEY PER BOOK!! IT IS ONLY PENNIES! But it adds up and you don't have any further work with it. In the end you just pack them up and they will retrieve the box at your home. Next thing you know there is the money on your bank account.

*I live in Germany so I used another service and don't know anything about this company here, it is just an example.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #50
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Shipping is free??? Wow. Gonna have to use that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #51
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Well, I grabbed a dozen books, and put in the ISBN numbers, and they don't want to buy any of them.

Hafta donate to Purple Heart and take a tax deduction, I guess.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #52
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I sold a bunch last year on half.com (eBay, essentially). Very easy to post them there. Several sold, several did not. I donated the ones that didn't sell to the library.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #53
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Pro - 800-page books don't wear my hands out.

Con - I often, for some crazy reason, find e-versions of books priced higher than their paperback counterparts. Example:

Paperback

Kindle Version
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #54
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Kindle: The main satisfaction is having so many free and low-priced ebooks to choose from! The device has exceeded my expectations. I don't use Kindle's web browser often, but it has come in handy.

There have been no disappointments except for a small screen defect that showed up after six months. It's only a minor annoyance at this point, but I'll probably request replacement before the warranty expires.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #55
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have a garage sale every year (for my kids clothes) and I've been putting my books in it. They sell pretty well!

Biggest satisfaction: Space saver and reduces clutter at home. Being able to carry both the current book and the next one without extra weight and bulk is great too!

Biggest frustration: Digital file management. It always has to be "managed", even when you have a good workflow. I'm a keeper, which means they *will* need to be updated and remanaged later when the technology improves or a new device comes along.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote