Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Library books

I hope this is the right place.

Lately I've been surfing my library's 'ebooks' and I am very disappointed.

It seems like most of the books are either project gut. or are all non-fiction. From what I understand librarys like the new york public have HUGE fiction ebook selections, so is it just my library is behind the times (Fort worth public)

Edit: They do how ever have a goodish selection of audio books if you are into that
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
my library has nothing but audio and some tech manuals for things I've never even heard of. I need to speak "sternly" to them about it :-D
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Well, my library has mostly fiction and audio books. The non-fiction selection is poor. I believe that each library system can choose what type of ebooks to lend. It's most likely a matter of cost and local demand.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Maybe if I went and bugged them each and every day we could get some fiction in there haha
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My library has an okay-sized collection but a lot of the fiction is romance and vampire stuff, followed by mysteries. Not a lot of general fiction.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library has mostly romance and general fiction. Only popular nonfiction.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
My loacl library isn't much better but here is a solution of sorts.

INFO
The Free Philadelphia Library -- Available to city residents (free), anyone 65 or older (free), residents anywhere in PA with "Access Pennsylvania" library cards (free), and non-residents ($15) Online Registration

DOWNLOADS: audio books, e-books, music, movies, plus. Downloads Download Sampler

Currently I am listening to "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian.

I transfer the audiobooks to a Sansa Clip Plus using Overdrive (the lending mechanism the most, if not all, use. They will tell you that you have 10 days to listen. But once it is on a "dumb" mp3 player "it just don't know". Listen as long as it takes.

I have a double ended cord that I plug into my mp3 headphone jack, and then into the car sterio system. I do a fair (sometimes a lot) amount of driving.

P.S. - Online registration was VERY simple (but then again, I'm in PA). I got my card over the weekend, and started downloading.

Even if you can't get it free, $15 is VERY cheap to get the thousands of dowloads that are available.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Library ebook downloads to a Kindle can be a problem.

But there is good news for audiobook downloads to Kindle.

It takes a bit of looking, but I found this:

Can I transfer Adobe eBooks to an Amazon® Kindle?

No. The Amazon Kindle does not currently support eBooks protected with Adobe DRM.

To get it in the Kindle would take a bit of jumping through hoops. Download and de-DRM the book, before you can read it.

Now if you want to read books on the computer it's no problem, just not simple on the Kindle.

On the other hand - If you want to download audiobooks and put them into a mp3 player or on the Kindle - Using My Kindle as an MP3 Player

"But then I learned the secret. If I upload my MP3 into the Audible folder I have the option to fast forward, pause, rewind, etc. just like on an MP3 player. Yooo Hooo!"

And ofcourse you can download movies, music, etc.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
DOWNLOADS: audio books, e-books, music, movies, plus.
my question would be, what kind of selection for scifi/fantasy do they have? Is there a way to check before paying the out of state fee? I'd certainly pay 15 if they had a decent selection in that genre...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
The Philadelphia Free Library has very little sci-fi. They have a great selection of mainstream fiction however. I feel it was a $15 well spent, since my local library only has audiobooks and a few crap ebooks.

If you are into sci-fi/fantasy you really can't beat Baen. It is by far my favorite ebook store. Cheap and DRM-free, what more can you ask?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
The Philadelphia Free Library has very little sci-fi. They have a great selection of mainstream fiction however. I feel it was a $15 well spent, since my local library only has audiobooks and a few crap ebooks.

If you are into sci-fi/fantasy you really can't beat Baen. It is by far my favorite ebook store. Cheap and DRM-free, what more can you ask?

-Marcy
I'm afraid that this is too true

From time to time I do a lot of driving. So I download a lot of audiobooks from the Philadelphia library. Then too, my dog likes audiobooks because we take longer walks.

But is you want Sci-Fi she is 100% correct, again, on Bean Books.

Want FREE!!!

Baen Free Library
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #11
addicted2books
EBookaholic
addicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Smile

Our local library has just recently started offering ebooks and downloadable audiobooks. So currently the number of ebooks and audiobooks to be downloaded is small.

I sent off an email to the main branch of our library just to let them know what a great service this was and I was looking forward to the development of the Overdrive Program. I immediately received an email back....everyone, from the developers of the program to the Chief Librarian were thrilled to have some feedback. I was asked all kinds of questions, from how I read my ebooks, what types of formats I preferred as well as the type of content I favored.

Maybe if you let your library know what you're looking for, this might be a deciding factor in the the type of content they will be purchasing in the future. It certainly can't hurt to let your library know what you would like to see available in their catalog.
addicted2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Lori, I found that too. Whenever I go to the actual library, I mention how I am enjoying the books. They buy content that they think will have a good demand, so having them hear that people want it really does help.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Well Folks feel for us here in the UK .... As far as I know there are just 4 Library's in the whole of the UK that loan eBooks .... YES 4 ....

I believe that is to improve but I'm sure not holding my Breath

Not sure what they stock by way of eBooks
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Well Folks feel for us here in the UK .... As far as I know there are just 4 Library's in the whole of the UK that loan eBooks .... YES 4 ....

I believe that is to improve but I'm sure not holding my Breath

Not sure what they stock by way of eBooks
I wrote to the council here in North Yorkshire recently, and they're going to launch an ebook service soon. They hope to be up and running by early May.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Positive feedback is always welcome at the library. Our overdrive system is grouped with 49 other libraries which makes the selection a bit out of my library's control.
So, while we have mostly audiobooks there are still enough other selections to keep me busy. It is a great system that I trust will catch on with use.

Many thanks to HorridRedDog for the information about the Free Philadelphia library.... my application is enroute.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote