Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it possible? Yes

Will it be a good experience? No. Unless your PDFs are formatted for a 6" page size to match the size of the Kindle's screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 AM   #47
cr.ashok18
cr.ashok18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Unhappy Not working for Kindle Paperwhite 2

Hi Murali,
I am using Kindle Paperwhite 2 2013 edition (Touch) and custom font addition methos proposed by you is not working. Could you please advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murali View Post
This post will help you read Tamil documents natively in the kindle mobi format. Of course the method involves jail breaking your kindle, so usual disclaimers apply.

One of the major limitations of kindle 3 is the lack of a proper shaping engine, required to render Tamil Unicode (The browser has the required shaping engine but the ebook reader for some reason doesn't). So the trick is to instead temporarily use the TSCII standard for Tamil documents. I recommend that you keep your documents in unicode format and use this method to convert them to the TSCII (http://www.tscii.org). It is widely expected that Kindle would eventually support Tamil unicode, since the Unicode spec is becoming the widely adopted standard for Tamil characters.

Setup
  1. First enable the Font hack....https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
  2. Download the attached fonts Fertigo Tamil.rar (They are provided here for the proof of concept. It is a mix of Fertigo Pro and Some Tamil fonts). Install them per the font hack instructions to the linkfonts\fonts folder.
  3. Download the tool Unicode2Tscii.rar . There are quite a few converters but none could convert a MSWord generated HTML to Tscii. If there is one, let me know and I can yank this out (source will be made available after clean up).

To generate Kindle compatible documents
  1. For MSWord documents, save the document as a WebPage, Filtered (*.htm; *.html) format. (or) From your browser just use Save feature (I tested Chrome). The tool detects the source based on the meta tag signature. Unicode File saved by a browser is expected to have the following tag: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> otherwise it assumes the file to have come from MSWord
  2. Run the html through the unicode2tscii converter (attached ).
  3. Then drag and drop the converted file into Calibre and convert it to mobi
  4. Copy it to Kindle and start reading it!!!

Caveat:
The TSCII standard uses some of the upper characters in the 255-bit ansi scheme (hence it is being phased out in favor of the more friendlier unicode scheme). so in this method, you will end up sacrificing certain latin characters, symbols (like TM) etc. But there is no easy way to enable tamil text in Kindle other than using a non-complex script support for Tamil.

Also currently I have just made serif fonts TSCII compliant. It shouldnt be that hard to merge those 138 glyphs to the rest of the fonts (of course with appropriate permissions obtained).

Finally, I am also providing an example document with both the unicode html file (from Word) and the final mobi file generated by Calibre. Use it for testing purposes. If the document you generate is from the public archives like this one, please feel free to share in this thread for the rest of us to enjoy.

When everything goes as planned, you should see the document appear as shown here
[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to reply to this thread. Enjoy reading Tamil natively on Kindle...

Regards
Murali

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.
cr.ashok18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #48
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr.ashok18 View Post
I am using Kindle Paperwhite 2 2013 edition (Touch) and custom font addition methos proposed by you is not working. Could you please advice...
You'll need to install KUAL and the Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.3.x - 5.4.x Fonts Hack

Once you've installed both, add the Tamil font(s) to the linkfonts/fonts directory and override the default Serif font. For details see NiLuJe's very detailed post.

Note that overriding the default Sans Serif font can have major side effects and is not recommended.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your first step -

Properly identify the model of device you actually have (you used mixed names in your post).
Compare the first four characters of your serial number with the entries in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Then re-read the title of the post you quoted - before you edited the title.
See?
Whatever you have, it isn't a K3.
I do expect you will have to make more changes than just editing the post title to make it work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #50
cr.ashok18

Not able to use custom font - Kindle Paperwhite 2 (PW2)

Followed everything and could install KUAL. But even though I tried the steps, I am not getting the new custom fonts in Fonts Overrride. Any help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You'll need to install KUAL and the Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.3.x - 5.4.x Fonts Hack

Once you've installed both, add the Tamil font(s) to the linkfonts/fonts directory and override the default Serif font. For details see NiLuJe's very detailed post.

Note that overriding the default Sans Serif font can have major side effects and is not recommended.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #51
cr.ashok18

Followed everything and could install KUAL. But even though I tried the steps, I am not getting the new custom fonts in Fonts Overrride. Any help???
Old 07-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #52
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cr.ashok18: Walk us through *exactly* what you did, you probably missed something.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #53
cr.ashok18

1. Did Jailbreak.
- Extracted kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N.zip. Inside that, Unzipped the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of my Kindle.
- Updated Kindle and it got restarted after displaying the words **** JAILBREAK ****

2. Installed Mobileread Kindlet Kit.
- Download the attached kindle-mkk-20140214.zip file and unpacked it.
- Copied the Update_mkk-20140214-k5-ALL_install into Kindle's root directory.
- Updated Kindle and it got restarted.

3. Copied the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 and placed in Documents folder.

4. Downloaded kindle-linkfonts-0.8.N.zip file and unpacked it.

5. Placed the Update_linkfonts_0.8.N_install_pw2.bin in the Kindle's root directory.

6. Now ejected the kindle and updated the device. It got restarted.

7. Copied the custom fonts (Serif_Bold.ttf, Serif_BoldItalic.ttf, Serif_Italic.ttf, Serif_Regular.ttf) to linkfonts/fonts folder.

8. Ran the Fonts -> Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache KUAL button.

Now I tried to check Font Override but custom fonts are not coming in. I tried to Restart the framework, Restart the X server, Font Overrides > Populate this menu button but nothing helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@cr.ashok18: Walk us through *exactly* what you did, you probably missed something.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #54
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cr.ashok18:

7. Following the old naming scheme isn't needed, FWIW. (It won't hurt either, but if you have a bunch of different fonts, it can get confusing).

You're missing step 9. Which is clicking 'Populate this menu', at the top of the Font Override menu.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #55
cr.ashok18

Oops sorry.. Forgot to mention. I did step 9:Populate this menu as well. No use
Quote:
@cr.ashok18:

7. Following the old naming scheme isn't needed, FWIW. (It won't hurt either, but if you have a bunch of different fonts, it can get confusing).

You're missing step 9. Which is clicking 'Populate this menu', at the top of the Font Override menu.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cr.ashok18: Did you wait for the fontconfig cache update to finish? Did you wait for the Font Override menu to refresh?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #57
cr.ashok18

Just noticed... When I click Font Override menu, a message "Python not installed" is seen in the bottom. Is it must? Where can I get it??

Quote:
@cr.ashok18: Did you wait for the fontconfig cache update to finish? Did you wait for the Font Override menu to refresh?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #58
cr.ashok18

@NiLuJe Buddy its working now after installing Python...
Thanks a tonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr.ashok18 View Post
Just noticed... When I click Font Override menu, a message "Python not installed" is seen in the bottom. Is it must? Where can I get it??
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #59
cr.ashok18

@Doitsu Thanks a lot... It up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cr.ashok18: Whoops, missed the fact that you didn't have Python installed . Glad you got it working.

Tags
kindle, tamil, tscii, unicode