Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #31
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Pre-orders have arrived in stores early (read on xda). Available to purchase at many stores right now
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #32
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Pre-orders have arrived in stores early (read on xda). Available to purchase at many stores right now
I actually went in my bn store today to return my nook str (the kindle apps fonts did not have enough contrast) and low and behold they had the tablets out. I played with a demo, and it was super quick. The pinch to zoom in the browser was pretty seamless as well, and the screen looked better than the NC's. All in all looks like a good product, especially when it gets rooted.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
The real indisputable tablet....
Ah!yes! And consistently reliable!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #34
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
here's something to talk about...
Nook Tablet limits internal storage for non-B&N purchased content to 1GB
SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #35
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe there won't be a need to root?

Link to "The Digital Reader" article on how to add Kindle, Aldiko and other apps without hacking.
http://http://www.the-digital-reader.com/

Last edited by fbrII; 11-17-2011 at 09:04 AM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #36
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Maybe there won't be a need to root?

Link to "The Digital Reader" article on how to add Kindle, Aldiko and other apps without hacking.
http://http://www.the-digital-reader.com/
It's a fun workaround, and maybe the entryway for rooting, but not a long term great deal. You can't see the sideloaded apps on the regular nook screens. You have to use a launcher (which can be your default screen at turn-on). But when you hit the nook button to go to homescreens you are back on the stock view. To get back to any of the apps you search for "launcher" to find the file and start it again.

I hope (and trust) a better option will be available soon.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing you CAN do with a nook Tablet that you cannot do with a Kindle Fire or nook Color is make Skype calls. Neither the nook color or Kindle Fire have a microphone. Pretty bad decision on the part of Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #38
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
No different than Nook Color. Thanks for playing though.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #39
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing you CAN do with a nook Tablet that you cannot do with a Kindle Fire or nook Color is make Skype calls. Neither the nook color or Kindle Fire have a microphone. Pretty bad decision on the part of Amazon.
Technically a rooted NC has bluetooth, so it might be possible to make a skype call on a nc
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #40
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was able to handle the Fire on yesterday, and it felt like a cheap toy. (No offence intended to others, its just how it felt to me). I am not one who frequents BN stores; i also have the Nook app on my tablet and i rarely use it, but for some reason i am strongly drawn to the Nook Tablet. I simply enjoy the look and feel of it over the fire. And besides, I was never one who went with the crowd. If everyone else was going to right, I'd go to the left! I will keep the Nook Tablet high on my wish list!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #41
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I was able to handle the Fire on yesterday, and it felt like a cheap toy...
Funny you mention that. Such a comment is usually reserved for the Sony Tablet because it's made out of plastic, isn't heavy, and doesn't have Gorillas Glass. What's your reason for calling the Fire a toy? I'm very happy with my Sony Tablet and could have purchased others given it's price.

Last edited by SCION; 11-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I was able to handle the Fire on yesterday, and it felt like a cheap toy.
I owned a NookColor for 8 months and currently have a Kindle Fire. I think they are both very solidly constructed. I personally find NO REASON at all to think the Fire feels like a cheap toy. I suspect brand loyalty is affecting your judgement even though you claim otherwise. Hardware-wise they are both good devices.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #43
soondai
Guru

She owns 2 kindles. One small slight of the fire and you come in with an off-topic rebuttal and you think she's brandwashed?

Go watch some high school football or something.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #44
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
It's a fun workaround, and maybe the entryway for rooting, but not a long term great deal. You can't see the sideloaded apps on the regular nook screens. You have to use a launcher (which can be your default screen at turn-on). But when you hit the nook button to go to homescreens you are back on the stock view. To get back to any of the apps you search for "launcher" to find the file and start it again.

I hope (and trust) a better option will be available soon.
If you install Button Savior, you'll have direct access to your alternate launcher. Just tap Button Savior's Home button and tell the NC to open {alternate launcher}. In my case, that's Launcher Pro. Essentially, I just switch the NT's personality on the fly.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #45
eSheri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I owned a NookColor for 8 months and currently have a Kindle Fire. I think they are both very solidly constructed. I personally find NO REASON at all to think the Fire feels like a cheap toy. I suspect brand loyalty is affecting your judgement even though you claim otherwise. Hardware-wise they are both good devices.
As I said previously, I had a chance to handle the Fire, at Target. Now, after reading your comments regarding my comment of it feeling like a cheap toy, the Fire I handled was a demo. Could it be possible that the demo didn't have the inerts of a real Fire? If the demo IS the real thing, IMO, it felt like a cheap toy. Now I own the K2 and the K3; and IMO, the K3 feels cheaper. K2 feels much more substantial. I love the Fire's GUI, but the body feels like plastic in my hand. When the price drops, I am positive I will pick up one of them! But as it stands, I am more drawn to the NT

Last edited by eSheri; 11-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.