Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
unknown folders created after connecting to macbook

hello,

this is not very important though i'd like to know what's going on: i'm traveling and will be on a friend's macbook for a long while. he doesn't understand the following problem:

i've just connected the sony 650 to the macbook (version: 10.6.8) and after disconnecting the reader noticed that (on the SD card only) three folders were created: Spotlight-V100, Trashes, .fseventsd.

what are these for? i don't know the macbook environment at all, i only know that can't see these folders on the macbook desktop if i connect the reader - that is, there doesn't seem to be a "view hidden files" option, etc.

any idea?
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/08/19/spo...-flash-drives/

http://hostilefork.com/2009/12/02/tr...potlight-v100/
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
hello,

this is not very important though i'd like to know what's going on: i'm traveling and will be on a friend's macbook for a long while. he doesn't understand the following problem:

i've just connected the sony 650 to the macbook (version: 10.6.8) and after disconnecting the reader noticed that (on the SD card only) three folders were created: Spotlight-V100, Trashes, .fseventsd.

what are these for? i don't know the macbook environment at all, i only know that can't see these folders on the macbook desktop if i connect the reader - that is, there doesn't seem to be a "view hidden files" option, etc.

any idea?
Created by the OS e.g. Spotlight by the indexing system (can be switched off), trash - what it says etc. Can be removed on eject by "Hidden Cleaner" a Mac program to deal with system (.) files, just don't accidently use on the Mac's Startup disk...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Unix operating system folders/ files, as the Mac is Unix. (BSD)

all files starting with a period (.) are "hidden" and used for system functions.
i.e.
spotlight (indexing searching)
Trash (what you delete) and other files are for what position you put icons in the gui interface etc.

harmless - can be deleted and isn't seen unless you have system items viewable in windows.

fyi
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote