Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Font issue

Several of my ebooks show font sizes as shown in this example:

THE CHEVY SUBURBAN SPED DOWN the road, enveloped by the hushed darkness of the Virginia countryside. Forty-one-year-old Adnan al-Rimi was hunched over the wheel as he concentrated on the windy road coming up

Is this an ebook format issue, a Calibre conversion issue, or what? And, how can I fix it during conversion without having to edit every book individually?

Thanks!
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Several of my ebooks show font sizes as shown in this example:

THE CHEVY SUBURBAN SPED DOWN the road, enveloped by the hushed darkness of the Virginia countryside. Forty-one-year-old Adnan al-Rimi was hunched over the wheel as he concentrated on the windy road coming up

Is this an ebook format issue, a Calibre conversion issue, or what? And, how can I fix it during conversion without having to edit every book individually?

Thanks!
It is not at eBook issue. Some eBooks use smallcaps at the beginning of a chapter and/or beginning of a new section. You would have to edit each eBook or just leave it be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately it's not a smallcap, it's an "almost microscopic" cap... my example couldn't show how tiny it really is without making the rest of the selection Huuuuge!
Old 11-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately it's not a smallcap, it's an "almost microscopic" cap... my example couldn't show how tiny it really is without making the rest of the selection Huuuuge!
IT is a smallcap. It's a simulated smallcap and if you've converted it, then the font size changed.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
gtriever
Addict

Sorry Jon, I forgot to insert my <sarcasm>Unfortunately it's not a smallcap, it's an "almost microscopic" cap</sarcasm> tags. So, that being said, and after doing a bit more research on the problem:

In the forum's opinion(s), would I be better off to (a) disable font scaling in calibre, or (b) to change the font sizes from a base size=12.0 with the calibre- wizard "defaults" (7.5, 9.0, 10.0, 12.0, 15.5, 20.0, 22.0, 24.0) to something like base size=12.0 (9.5, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 15.5, 20.0, 22.0, 24.0)
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sorry Jon, I forgot to insert my <sarcasm>Unfortunately it's not a smallcap, it's an "almost microscopic" cap</sarcasm> tags. So, that being said, and after doing a bit more research on the problem:

In the forum's opinion(s), would I be better off to (a) disable font scaling in calibre, or (b) to change the font sizes from a base size=12.0 with the calibre- wizard "defaults" (7.5, 9.0, 10.0, 12.0, 15.5, 20.0, 22.0, 24.0) to something like base size=12.0 (9.5, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 15.5, 20.0, 22.0, 24.0)
Do you have the original retail format (the one that you bought)? This is a commercial eBook so you should have this.