Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #46
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
gandoe: You mention removing "(r)emoving all related registered Kindle devices on Amazon site." What were the Kindle devices? Did you later restore them and did things remain OK? Thanks.
Tas03:

Good point - I should have been more explicit. I found I had four different registrations (KfPC:KfPC4), based on my prior history of installing Kindle for PC. I had deleted all, prior to my successful attempt at installing KfPC 1.17 again.

As a further note:
I have no current Kindle devices (one old entry for a Kindle Fire, long since dead). However I had a number of Kindle for Android app registrations: three phones (two of which dead), one tablet, and my Onyx Note2. I've deleted the registrations no longer necessary.

Hope this helps.
gandoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #47
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

All books acquired on the Amazon site are correctly shown in the KfPC app, and I've had no further problems with KfPC 1.17 attempting to automatically upgrade.

As a further note; I don't use KfPC as a reader, so ALL Kindle device registrations were deleted. Currently the ONLY Kindle registration is for KfPC 1.17
Old 10-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #48
gandoe
Enthusiast

Revision:

Opening the KfPC 1.17 app yesterday to download a newly acquired book, led to another instance of an unapproved forced update. Uninstalling, registry cleaning, Kindle registration removal on Amazon, and then reinstall, has restored my prior, preferred configuration.

My current "solution" is to remove unqualified firewall approval for the Kindle KfPC app...i.e., everytime I start KfPC, internet access is disallowed until I specifically approve. This gives the app time to start, and me the time to ensure the upgrade option remains unselected.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #49
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
As I understand it, the reason to use an old version of KindleForPC is to assure that for newly purchased ebooks you get the older KF8 format, not the newer KFX format. You get the older format because, for example, K4PC version 1.17 does not know about KFX, thus does not support it, so you are delivered the older KF8 format that the software will recognize.

So tell me, when I use the alternate method of download, "Download for USB Transfer" and I specify to download the ebook for my PW3 (which understands KFX), why does it deliver me a KF8 ebook? Seems like it could deliver a KFX ebook instead, but it doesn't. At least I think what it is delivering is KF8 (it's a single file that ends in azw3). I'm thinking it's KF8 because of the ability of the DeDRM plugin I installed in Calibre years ago to remove the DRM easily. I'm not complaining, but I'm wondering why they aren't delivering KFX.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:32 PM   #50
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
KFX books are split into multiple files, KF8 (azw3) books are delivered in a single file.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #51
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
So tell me, when I use the alternate method of download, "Download for USB Transfer" and I specify to download the ebook for my PW3 (which understands KFX), why does it deliver me a KF8 ebook? Seems like it could deliver a KFX ebook instead, but it doesn't. At least I think what it is delivering is KF8 (it's a single file that ends in azw3). I'm thinking it's KF8 because of the ability of the DeDRM plugin I installed in Calibre years ago to remove the DRM easily. I'm not complaining, but I'm wondering why they aren't delivering KFX.
KFX format is never made available for USB download. It is only delivered directly from Amazon to Kindle apps and devices. At least so far.

As j.p.s mentioned one reason is that KFX books are split into multiple files. That could be gotten around by Amazon, but so far they haven't done so.

Another reason is that KFX format is under continuous development and has changed over time. Whenever a KFX book is sent to a device the server checks which KFX features the device firmware supports and only delivers KFX that the device can handle.

Another possible reason is that it encourages users to keeps their devices online in order to receive the Enhanced Typesetting that KFX enables. Amazon benefits from that, with the ability to collect usage data and deliver ads to devices.

I suspect that Amazon's long term strategy might be to phase out the older formats. That would explain the lack of attention to the long broken DRM of the older formats and the immediate fixing of KFX DRM whenever it is compromised.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #52
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
KFX books are split into multiple files, KF8 (azw3) books are delivered in a single file.
KFX requires at least two files to support the KFX DRM scheme, which all KFX books delivered by Amazon have.

But it is only partly true that KF8 is delivered as a single file. It is one file when you use "Download and transfer via USB". But it is often multiple files when delivered directly from Amazon to a device. The additional files provide page numbers, more detailed images, XRAY-data, popular highlights, etc. None of that is available when "Download and transfer via USB" is used.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #53
Bookstooge
Addict
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
KFX requires at least two files to support the KFX DRM scheme, which all KFX books delivered by Amazon have.

But it is only partly true that KF8 is delivered as a single file. It is one file when you use "Download and transfer via USB". But it is often multiple files when delivered directly from Amazon to a device. The additional files provide page numbers, more detailed images, XRAY-data, popular highlights, etc. None of that is available when "Download and transfer via USB" is used.
The book itself is ONE file. All those other files you mention? Those are extraneous. As shown by the fact that you can download it and read the whole book without all those other files. It's also true when you download through K4pc.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote