Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM   #1
jfree
jfree
jfree began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Kindle truncating title page text

Converted book from InDesign CS2014 to ePub and cleaned some things up in Sigil. When I view the book in Sigil or Calibre or iBooks everything looks fine. However, when viewing in the Kindle Previewer the second line of the book's title is pushing the e in the word Trouble to the next line. (see attached screenshot).

Not good with CSS but this is the code I see for the title page. Any suggestions how to may prevent this from happening? Client wants a Kindle edition to be published through KDP.

<body id="Teen_Trouble_eBook">
<div id="_idContainer000" class="_idGenObjectStyleOverride-1">
<p class="SPECIAL-TEXT_Title-Page">TEEN</p>

<p class="SPECIAL-TEXT_Title-page-line-2">TROUBLE</p>

<p class="SPECIAL-TEXT_Title-pg-subtitle"><span class="italic _idGenCharOverride-1">How This Mother Weathered the Storm</span></p>

<p class="SPECIAL-TEXT_Title-pg-author">Debbie Safran</p>
</div>

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 12.49.38 PM.png
Views:	16
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	207386  
jfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It appears that this is supposed to be a title page with extremely large text. That is problematic because Kindle books can be read on all sorts of devices with different screen sizes and orientations and having the text size adapt properly to that is not generally possible with reflowable Kindle formatting.

Without the matching CSS I cannot determine what method is being used to try to make the text fit on to the page. It is likely something that is incompatible with Kindle e-books.

It is a bad idea in general to create images of text inside of a book because doing that can impact accessibility and reading features. However for a title page I believe that doing so is acceptable and will make it easier to obtain the desired formatting.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle