Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
What should I get for my son in December?

My son will be 15 in December, and I have decided that it's time he gets a reader. Strangely enough my wife agrees! Probably because he said that when I buy my Adam/Lattice with PixelQi (whatever comes out first) he wants to read the Sherlock Holmes books and Jules Verne books on that. So I guess if I should have a change to do anything on my pad, he will need to have an ereader. So what should I get? Price up to $300, mostly for books, but it would be nice to have the ability to surf mobile oriented sites like Wapedia. And read comic books, but of course anything in color would be a lot more expensive. Or is there anything coming up soon?

By the way I don't want the smallest screens, bigger is better, I think. And if it can read Norwegian e-books (when they decide on the format, it will probably be that Adobe stuff) that would be nice.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Mastiff, it's still too early to know what the answer will be. Ask us again Nov. 15 when we will know what is available.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I agree, there is a bunch that are coming out soon. You might be better off waiting, I mean I took the jump recently because I am someone who hates waiting and will research like a maniac until I buy one. I didn't feel like getting overly obsessed but since he has to wait anyways, you might as well see what comes out in the next few months.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Sounds reasonable, yes. I'll try to hold my horses... Thanks! Btw are there any color readers on the horizon? Regular LCD isn't interesting, I want something that doesn't strain the eyes.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Those are far off right now, to expensive to make and don't look that great yet. Least thats what I hear around here.
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

OK, thanks. Then I'll drop that idea. Of course I may end up getting him another one of what I'm getting, Adam or Lattice. Much more expensive, but probably worth it.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

I am not sure what those are but this I been eyeing myself since it uses PixiQ which is a Ebook mode from what I hear.

http://gizmodo.com/5471559/notion-in...pecs-finalized

Its confirmed for 450 which isn't so bad when you compare the specs to the Ipad which only uses normal LDC(Which you can get this in for 50 dollars cheaper, 399)
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

That is the Adam.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Don't I feel stupid haha, I always called it the Notion Ink....Adam part escaped me.

Does look pretty nice if you want to spend that much though...
Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Yeah, it does. For me it's either that with Android or the Lattice (same screen) with Windows 7 Tablet. We'll see what comes first...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I don't know a lot about pads and tablets, but what about the one from Bed Bath and Beyond the Pandigital Novel? I hear a lot of people around here talking about it, and it's extremely reasonable price wise. It might have an lcd screen though, I never looked at it myself (live in Canada).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote