Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
quibard
quibard began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
garbled screen among other issues

I received a new white PB302 yesterday, and I can't seem to get it to work right.

at first boot, the screen was totally garbled, I could hardly make out the bookland.net logo.

when I figured out how to do a firmware update (to see if that might fix things), and I had the power connected, the screen seemed to be just fine. As soon as I'm somehow on battery power again, the screen garbles or is only drawn half (i.e. something is happening on the top half of the screen and nothing on the bottom).
The firmware update did go through correctly, I saw as much.

the device also doesn't seem to switch off, so the last pages of the book, or menu screen, or logo, are always shown.

Has anyone else seen this? should I return the device?
quibard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Have you tried a hard-reset ?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Did you charge the battery sufficiently? Garbled screens happen on my device when the battery gets below 50% (which should be cured with a software update).
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
quibard

thanks for the suggestions and quick replies! Very different from the store I bought this device in the Netherlands...

yes, i updated the firmware to 15.2 and pressed the reset button a couple of times (even when the device is on power).

I hadn't charged the device fully as I was very excited to play with my wonderful new toy. After full charging, the garbled screen is a lot less.
However...

it still garbles now and then, less so on the boot logo than on the main screen (so the main screen shows garbling, or bleeding).
Just now was the first time I could switch the device off (i.e. show an empty screen).

last night when I started to read my first e-book, I had to long press the on/off key after every second page, because flipping the page would do something to the top half of the screen (black it out, show blinking square "cursors").
Not the best reading experience, let me tell you!

I also notice that the first line is only shown for 3/4s. On the bottom of the screen there is about the same height of screen that stays unused (blank) even on the boot logo screen (where it garbles).
Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Saille
Saille began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
Doesn't sound really good...If I were you, I'd send it back, either to swap it for a new one since this one is no good or have my many back and buy it somewhere else.
Saille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
A first full charge of the battery is important. As I understand it you never gave the battery time to charge fully. And the PB302 has a problem with half-charged batteries, which the programmers should look at (my Cybook initially had the same problem, which was fixed in a software update).
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
quibard

@adbosch. yeah, well, I left the device charging for an entire night and it still didn't respond well. only after the second night it became more bearable.
But in principle, you seem to be right. First charge seems important.

That doesn't solve the first line only showing very little and the menu screen still garbling.

Issue seems to have been sent to pocketbook global, with photographs
Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by quibard View Post
@adbosch. yeah, well, I left the device charging for an entire night and it still didn't respond well. only after the second night it became more bearable.
But in principle, you seem to be right. First charge seems important.

That doesn't solve the first line only showing very little and the menu screen still garbling.

Issue seems to have been sent to pocketbook global, with photographs
Yes, we got it.

Please, do charge your device for full 8 hours. Then do a reset: Plug in your device, turn it on by holding both smaller, upper buttons, follow the instructions.

If this does not help, we will check your device for a hardware problem. Please keep us updated.

We will not leave you out in the cold with a defective device. Sorry it took a little longer because your problem was send directly to me and i was travelling yesterday.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #9
quibard

I returned the device to the reseller, who promised me to return my money after they received the device. Now to decide which reader to buy for the upcoming holiday..