Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
maxwelledison
maxwelledison began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Koboreader.sqlite gundged

My original koboreader.sqlite file got gundged when my Kobo locked up on me and I lost all the original free books. Kobobooks support have been no help at all in getting me back my free books. Does anyone have a copy of the original koboreader.sqlite file posted anywhere for d/l?

max...
maxwelledison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I caution against handing out your sqlite database if you have activated your device. As far as I know, the database will contain the email address and possible other details about the original user. If anyone had the foresight to back up their database even before activating their Kobo, that would be ideal.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

You should be able to get all of them from Project Gutenberg ... That's where Kobo got them in the first place. It's a bit of work, of course, but then again, you can pick and choose which ones you want.

I suppose it's possible the firmware update will replace them for you, but I'm not sure.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Pre-activation database: look for kobo_db.zip on isohunt.com

Last edited by corona; 06-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Dallador
Dallador began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
I had a similar problem when I accidentally reformatted my Kobo. Lost all the free books.

Kobo support recommended I just add the free books into my Kobo library from the store website. All of the preloaded books are available in their store for free, same versions as were preloaded.

The Kobo desktop application will then download the books next time you update your library, and you can then sync them to your device.

While this sounds like a good solution, unfortunately the Kobo desktop application takes a very long time to download the books; over four hours. It seems their download speed is capped for free books. Note that cancelling and resuming the download corrupts the sqlite database and will require a download restart, as the Kobo app downloads all of the books as one file, and not separately.

Hence thank you for the torrent!
Dallador is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallador View Post
Kobo support recommended I just add the free books into my Kobo library from the store website. All of the preloaded books are available in their store for free, same versions as were preloaded.
Can you actually do this? I looked up a few of the books after deleting my sqlite file, and there were options for mobile and web versions, but no option for epub files.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Dallador
Dallador began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
You can't download the epubs, but you can sync them to your Kobo.
You have to login to the Kobo website first, then when you go to the web only books there will be an option to "Add To Library". Once a book is added to your library the Kobo desktop application will download the book when you login using the same account.

No epub files, but you can still load the books onto the Kobo.
Dallador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
What Corona said ...!

Last edited by triffids; 06-27-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Redundancy
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
heffie
heffie began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
that file no longer exits on Corona's link
heffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you do a reset to factory settings? It should restore everything that came on the reader and then you will have to reload your subsequent acquisitions.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Did you do a reset to factory settings? It should restore everything that came on the reader and then you will have to reload your subsequent acquisitions.
I'm not sure that a reset will rewrite the sqlite file. In my situation I think the sqlite file was corrupted and I tried a number of things (including the reset from the settings menu) and it didn't solve the problem (ended up losing all the covers for the free books too). I had other problems as well such as not saving bookmarks and unable to add new books (except Kobobooks books I had purchased). The only thing that worked for me was deleting on the files on the Kobo and using my backup (thank goodness I did this when I first purchased it!). To see my problems and solutions see thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91948

Wanted to use the kobobooks.sqlite file from the posted link previously to see if it woud solve my problems, but as indicated above the file is no longer available. If someone can repost a working link or if you have a backup of your original files then tat seems to work.

Anyone else succesfully restore the sqlite file with a reset?

Last edited by Gordo29; 08-12-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
To put a fresh db on your eReader.

http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto...-fresh-1-4.zip

1. Attach the eReader to the computer
2. Ensure that it is detected as mass storage

FOR A MAC:
1. Open mass storage device in Finder
2 . Select the "GO" option from the top menu
3. Select Go to folder
4. Type in .kobo
5. .kobo folder will open
6. Delete the images folder
7. Delete the KobReader.sqlite file (this is the database file)
8. From a new Finder window, browse to where the downloaded zip file is.
9. Unzip the file, it will unzip a folder called kobo-dir-pristine
10. Open kobo-dir-pristine, copy the images folder and the KoboReader.sqlite file over to the .kobo folder on the mass storage.
11. Eject the eReader
12. Restart the eReader (power off, and then power back on)

ON A PC
1. Open mass storage device in Finder
2. Ensure hidden folders are visible (different for different Windows versions)

XP: My Computer > Tools menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Advanced Settings > Hidden Files and Folders > Show hidden files and folders.
OK all the way out.

Vista and Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab > Click Show Hidden files and folders > OK

3. Open .kobo folder on the mass storage
6. Delete the images folder
7. Delete the KobReader.sqlite file (this is the database file)
8. Unzip the downloaded file to an accessible folder, it will unzip to a folder called kobo-dir-pristine.
9. Open kobo-dir-pristine, copy the images folder and the KoboReader.sqlite file over to the .kobo folder on the mass storage.
10. Eject the eReader
11. Restart the eReader (power off, and then power back on)

Et Voila. Let me know if it works.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Et Voila. Let me know if it works.
Have you no faith, Sameer? You should be saying "Let me know if you have any problems."
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #14
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Have you no faith, Sameer? You should be saying "Let me know if you have any problems."
That's what i meant
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Thanks Sameer, that should make it much easier for those who have had similar problems as mine.

Well done Kobo support team!
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote