Old 05-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #31
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby
chopperbobby began at the beginning.

Device: Paper White
Paperwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
If there's a bug in the paperwhite, it certainly isn't affecting the large majority of the population. My daughter and I just sat in my dining room today and downloaded about 10 books to my Paperwhite for her to borrow for a couple of weeks. Most of the books downloaded were purchased a while ago, but one was purchased on Thursday of last week and one was purchased today.

I'm sorry that you're having problems...have you tried doing a factory reset? If you just got the Paperwhite recently it shouldn't have much on it.

Shari
Thank you for the reply.
When I was on chat with Amazon tech support they tried everything to fix it, but nothing worked.
I also have a Kindle Fire, and it works fine as do all of the other devices in my home.
I see that other folks in this forum have had my problem, but there is no solution in here as I was hoping there would be.
Anyway, I'm contacting Amazon Monday morning demanding a solution.
I'll post here with what happens.
Bob
chopperbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #32
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperbobby View Post
Thank you for the reply.
When I was on chat with Amazon tech support they tried everything to fix it, but nothing worked.
I also have a Kindle Fire, and it works fine as do all of the other devices in my home.
I see that other folks in this forum have had my problem, but there is no solution in here as I was hoping there would be.
Bob
If you just got the Paperwhite, isn't it still under warranty? Have they offered to replace it?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #33
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
If you just got the Paperwhite, isn't it still under warranty? Have they offered to replace it?

Shari
They have not gotten that far, but I'm going to find out Monday.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob
Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #34
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They have not gotten that far, but I'm going to find out Monday.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob
Have you tried rebooting your router?

Shari
Old 05-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #35
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidReader1737 View Post
This has nothing to do with WiFi or home networks. Amazon is aware of this issue with the Kindle Paperwhite but currently has no solution to fix it. I have the exact same issue, and after months of issues with downloading I finally contacted Amazon when it took DAYS to download 6 books. I was instructed to do a factory reset which didn't fix anything, but instead eliminated all notes, highlights, and words/vocabulary builder, and now 150 books were not syncing. I insisted that the customer service rep will figure out a way to restore my almost 1000 words in my vocabulary builder, which he eventually resolved to do. Amazon had to update all my books in my library and push them out to my device and I was told once a solution will be found my device was on the priority list to be updated. Since my 1-year warranty is almost up I requested to be sent an email that today's 2 hour phone call didn't resolve the issue.
I agree with you. When I spent about three hours with Amazon tech support without any solution they told me that they would contact me in a "few" days.
I will contact them Monday.
Thanks,
Bob
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #36
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
I agree with you. When I spent about three hours with Amazon tech support without any solution they told me that they would contact me in a "few" days.
I will contact them Monday.
Thanks,
Bob
You realize that the post you quoted is 2 years old, right? The poster also never came back to follow up, so we don't have any idea whether or how his issue was resolved.

Shari
Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #37
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
You realize that the post you quoted is 2 years old, right? The poster also never came back to follow up, so we don't have any idea whether or how his issue was resolved.

Shari
Yes. I am aware of the age of the post, but it was the only one I could find in my internet search, but I did get some replies.
Bob
Old 05-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #38
BZee2
BZee2 doesn't litterBZee2 doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite 1 and 4 & Fire 7 HDX
Quote:
I bought a Paperwhite this week, and I'm having the same problem as you are.
I spent about 3 hours chatting with several Amazon techs, and they could not fix it. They promised to contact me in a few days.
There have been suggestions that the WiFi be modified, but we should not have to do that. I have four WiFi connected devices in my home, and they all work. My Fire works just fine.
I suspect that Amazon knows there is a bug in it, but they won't admit it.
Anyway, I'm waiting for Amazon to contact me.
Bob
Contact Kindle Tech support rather than Amazon Tech support.
BZee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #39
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZee2 View Post
Contact Kindle Tech support rather than Amazon Tech support.
That didn't even cross my mind. Good idea.
Thank you.
Bob
Old 05-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #40
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.
Bob
This morning Amazon had me update my software. I had done that already last Thursday with them.
After the update my Paper White started working properly.
Go figure.
Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #41
AvidReader1737
AvidReader1737 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is NOT a WiFi issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
Hi,
can anyone help,my wife purchased 4 or 5 books on the 21st June, these show in her Kindle as queued but do not download,if you tap on a title it just asks if you want to cancel the download,we seem to have tried every conceivable way of trying to sort this problem including re-delivering books from her account to the device. Is the Kindle faulty or is it amazons web site?..any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You
I've encountered the not downloading troubles two years ago and when I finally reached out to Amazon my warranty was almost up. Amazon techs did multiple resets, made me change WiFi settings, and insisted it was WiFi related. I was supposed to get a call back a few days later, which came in the form of a voicemail where a tech commented that my Kindle seems to be fine and it was determined (not sure by whom?) it had to be WiFi related. After 5 more frustrating phone calls I was allowed to get a new Kindle which had the same hiccup (on different Wi-Fis not just at home). The download issue was resolved when Amazon updated all their Kindle software.

However, downloading problems still come and go and I suspect that it might have to do with some of Amazon's book or format updates that they push out. When books don't download I use the PC Kindle app, download the books there and copy/paste them onto the Kindle. It's a nuisance but calling Amazon every time and wasting an hour or two with tech support never accomplished anything.
AvidReader1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 AM   #42
IsraeliReader
IsraeliReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Android App
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsraeliReader View Post
My devices and I took an intercontinental trip to New York City, and suddenly I was able to download books there. I haven't tried it since I got back, but I hope it's fixed now.
As I mentioned, my Kindle Paperwhite would not not download at home (and neither would the Kindle software on my Android tablet), but it did download in NYC. When I got home again (Israel), they didn't download once again. This really did sound like a Wifi problem, so I restarted my routers and extenders several times. Eventually the problem went away.
I can't say that I am sure the resets were the solution. Maybe. I haven't had the problem for over 6 months.
IsraeliReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #43
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidReader1737 View Post
I've encountered the not downloading troubles two years ago and when I finally reached out to Amazon my warranty was almost up. Amazon techs did multiple resets, made me change WiFi settings, and insisted it was WiFi related. I was supposed to get a call back a few days later, which came in the form of a voicemail where a tech commented that my Kindle seems to be fine and it was determined (not sure by whom?) it had to be WiFi related. After 5 more frustrating phone calls I was allowed to get a new Kindle which had the same hiccup (on different Wi-Fis not just at home). The download issue was resolved when Amazon updated all their Kindle software.

However, downloading problems still come and go and I suspect that it might have to do with some of Amazon's book or format updates that they push out. When books don't download I use the PC Kindle app, download the books there and copy/paste them onto the Kindle. It's a nuisance but calling Amazon every time and wasting an hour or two with tech support never accomplished anything.
When I first had this problem I worked with Amazon tech support one time for about an hour. We were unable to fix the problem. The tech said that they would contact me in a "few" days with more trouble shooting options.
I didn't wait for their reply. I contacted them again the next day. The first thing the tech did was to have me update the firmware. That fixed it.
Go figure.
Bob
Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #44
chopperbobby
Chopperbobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsraeliReader View Post
As I mentioned, my Kindle Paperwhite would not not download at home (and neither would the Kindle software on my Android tablet), but it did download in NYC. When I got home again (Israel), they didn't download once again. This really did sound like a Wifi problem, so I restarted my routers and extenders several times. Eventually the problem went away.
I can't say that I am sure the resets were the solution. Maybe. I haven't had the problem for over 6 months.
Who can say exactly what happens at any given time?
These machines seem to have a mind of their own.
Bob